Is it time for the Flyers 1st ever Art Ross trophy winner?

jammer2

In the middle of this clusterf**k of a season, is it possible we can find some peace and comfort in the historic run that Voracek is treating us all to?  As most know, Jacob is in a 3 way tie for the scoring title, 74 pts and counting...tied with Tavares and Crosby.  Things get even tighter when you factor in that OV, Backstrom, Benn and Tarasenko are all within striking distance. Malkin is 8th, but is day to day and his pts will be countered by Crosby pts...so it's basically a 7 man race.

The Art Ross is one HUGE thing that an individual Flyers player has never captured. How great would it be to have that streak ended on April 11th, the last day of the regular season!!!   I'm willing it bet it comes down to that Saturday in early to mid April.

Anyone have up to date stats on how many games remain for the 7 players in the race??  I must say...this is gonna be awesome to watch!!  VERY exctied at the prospect of Jacob winning this award, the kid deserves it. Ya know, for all the CRAP that Homer has put us through...his stroke of genius, trading Carter for Jacob AND Cooter....one of the best trades of all time, and getting better each and every day!!

Let's check out the ages and games remaining of these superstars, shall we....

1)Jacob Voracek...........25 yrs old.....turns 26 on Aug 15.....74pts....7 games remaining...5 Home/2 Away

2)John Tavares.............24 yrs old.....turns 25 on Sept 20....74pts....8 games remaining...5 Home/3 Away

3)Sidney Crosby...........27 yrs old.....turns 28 on Aug 07.....74pts....9 games remaining...4 Home/5 Away

4)Alex Ovechkin............29 yrs old....turns 30 on Sept 17....73pts....9 games remaining....5 Home/4 Away

5)Nicklas Backstrom.....27 yrs old.....turns 28 on Nov 23.....72pts....9 games remaining....5 Home/4 Away

6)Jamie Benn...............25 yrs old.....turns 26 on July 18.....71pts....8 games remaining....3 Home/5 Away

7)Vladimir Tarasenko...23 yrs old.....turns 24 on Dec 13.....70pts....8 games remaining....6 Home/2 Away

Of course, I'm cheering with all my heart for Jacob....but I must admit how *very* impressive Tarasenko's inclusion is on this list. Not only is he the youngest of the 7 by far, but he lacks the true star power that all of the others in the race take for granted. Vladimir has no true star to play on his line, so he is doing a lot of this on his own. His teammates are young and talented, but lacks the true firepower that the others are all surrounded with.....makes his showing all the more startling!!  WOW is Tarasenko gonna be great once he hits his prime, we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg...and really, the same can be said of Jacob, we are no where close to seeing the best that  these 2 young superstars have to offer.

@flyercanuck   Valid point, even when Okposo was rolling in the points, he was basically a good player made above average due to Johnny's creativity. Geez, I'll never forget Tavare's last game against the Spits. They held him off the scoreboard until the 3rd, when Johnny scored a natural hat-trick to bring the Knights back from a 3 goal deficit. All 3 goals went to the exact same spot, upper right hand corner and all scored on lazer beam wrist shots. It was a breathtaking performance to say the least.

@Polaris922 Um, Flyer biased aside, I think it's safe to call Giroux a star....lol. Most pts in the NHL in the last 5 years....Jacob indeed has a legit star to work with.

Sorry I was excluding Voracek as he was your topic. Just addressing the rest of the list. Lol

Archived