Will the Devils Draft a Forward or Defenseman?

J0e Th0rnton

Just curious as to the Sharks chances of drafting Provorov or Werenski at 9th or 10th.

Top 3 picks seem consensus McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin

Toronto at 4th almost certainly goes for Strome 4th for that center they desire.

Carolina already has a blue chip defenseman and deep defense prospect pool, but needs blue chip forwards for their thin pool. Marner 5th?

Seems like Philly is full of good Defense prospects an the likelyhood they go for a forward is there.

Columbus almost certainly picks a defenseman. I could be wrong, but they have so many talented Blue chip young forwards in the system.

Colorado is a question mark for me. Seem to have a good defense pool, but I hope they win tonight and the Sharks pass them. Same for Florida, but Florida is stacked in prospects all over. They did get Ekblad last year and might shift to looking for a winger.

I would certainly hope they take a forward given their needs, but I wouldn't be stunned if they took Provorov or Werenski either. It all depends on what their board looks like. If they think either of them are better than any of the forwards on the board, I don't think they'll hesitate to take them. Crouse seems very much a Devils pick, which kind of worries me. I know he's pretty highly rated, but I'm just not sure if he'll ever be the impact player you want with a top 10 pick. Personally I'm hoping somebody in the top 5 takes him and Marner drops to the Devils at #6. If not, and they don't go with Provorov/Werenski, I think it's probably one of Crouse/Rantanen/Zacha/Barzal.

Or they could just win the lottery and draft Connor McDevil. ;)

@MadDevil  It's hard to judge, cause Adam does not have much to work with....but it's looking more and more like Henrique might be a really good 2nd line center. The Devils BADLY need a franchise #1 center moving forward. The defense is semi-decent, the goaltending is usually solid....They need goals...goals and more goals.

I would certainly hope they take a forward given their needs, but I wouldn't be stunned if they took Provorov or Werenski either. It all depends on what their board looks like. If they think either of them are better than any of the forwards on the board, I don't think they'll hesitate to take them. Crouse seems very much a Devils pick, which kind of worries me. I know he's pretty highly rated, but I'm just not sure if he'll ever be the impact player you want with a top 10 pick. Personally I'm hoping somebody in the top 5 takes him and Marner drops to the Devils at #6. If not, and they don't go with Provorov/Werenski, I think it's probably one of Crouse/Rantanen/Zacha/Barzal.

Or they could just win the lottery and draft Connor McDevil. ;)

Mad, just a ridiculous hypothetical for you....

If the Sharks won the lottery, would the Devils be open to trading their 1st(7th overall) and Severson for Logan Couture? 26 years old. Shutdown two way center who can score 60+ points.

Not that I want to move Couture, but all these hypothetical "If we got McDavid" thoughts are going to run through my head until Saturday's draft.

Mad, just a ridiculous hypothetical for you....

If the Sharks won the lottery, would the Devils be open to trading their 1st(7th overall) and Severson for Logan Couture? 26 years old. Shutdown two way center who can score 60+ points.

Not that I want to move Couture, but all these hypothetical "If we got McDavid" thoughts are going to run through my head until Saturday's draft.

That's a tough one for me because I really, really like Severson. He and Larsson are the two kids I would least want to move. But they've also got the highest trade value, and Couture would really help them up front. The value is there and it makes sense for both teams, but right now I'd probably say no. I could easily change my mind on it tomorrow though.

@MadDevil  It's hard to judge, cause Adam does not have much to work with....but it's looking more and more like Henrique might be a really good 2nd line center. The Devils BADLY need a franchise #1 center moving forward. The defense is semi-decent, the goaltending is usually solid....They need goals...goals and more goals.

Connor McDevil

As a counter proposal, would 7th overall + Merrill/Gelinas + Boucher/Matteau work?

I doubt it, but who knows? The age is right. They will want a blue chip for Couture. He is a 26 year old top line center who can match up against opposing teams top forwards and put up 25-30 goals and 55-65 points and play PP and PK well.

Marleau had an awful year(Team worst -17) and Nieto/Wingels(27 points -12 and 36 points -7) were inconsistent on RW. But Couture still was only -7 with 66 points and 27 goals.

A high 1st rounder is nice, but not a sure thing. They would probably want Severson due to his progression, but Gelinas is nice too and if you are going to add a nice winger prospect, they would consider it. Gelinas plays on the left though does he? he really need a righty.

We have Vlasic, Dillon and Mueller on the left. Mueller is likely to stay all year next season.

On the right? Burns, Braun and whoever they call up. Tennyson or Fedun or even Stollery/Demelo.

Granted with the 7th and 9th pick, we could shoot for Provorov and Werenski. But depth on defense would also let us target a forward?

Sometimes I wish i was a GM lol

Archived