Anthony DeAngelo Thread: OHL D-Man of the Year and Other Things

Anthony+DeAngelo+2014+NHL+Draft+Portrait DeAngelo_Sarnia2_672x412.jpg

From the TB Lightning website:

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=766664

A good sign for the Lightning's 1st round pick of the 2014 draft.

I realize the award, much like the NHL's Norris, favors the offensive type D-men, but I think everyone knew (certainly the Bolts did when they drafted him) THAT was what this young man was all about:  Offense from the blue line.

Whether that will translate eventually to a career in the NHL will remain to be seen, but he is still young, and as long as the Bolts still have solid defensive defensemen on the roster and in the pipeline, they could afford to also have an Erik Karlsson-like player such as DeAngelo patrolling their blue line at some point in the future.

It was said that DeAngelo had some "baggage' when he was drafted, but from the looks of his progress, his being named D-man of the year in the OHL, and his humble acceptance of it, perhaps whatever baggage he had has been unloaded and he is fully focused on being what the Lightning want him to be:  a dynamic blue line performer.

Looking forward to seeing him wearing Bolt colors regularly in the next two to four seasons.

• 1 month later...

Thread BUMP and DeAngelo follow up...from the Tampa Bay Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightning-2014-top-pick-anthony-deangelo-maturing-on-off-ice/2235384

All indications are that DeAngelo is rounding his game around to where the organization wants it.

He seems ready and willing to do whatever is asked of him in order to let his natural talents shine through.

DeAngelo seemingly has done all he can in Juniors, and the article suggests next stop for him will be AHL Syracuse....though DeAngelo himself looks to have his eye on making the Tampa Bay Lightning out of training camp THIS year.

That is probably a stretch for him, but no shame for him being a full time Crunch player, as he turns 20 come October.

His skillset is being mentioned in the same breath as guys like Victor Hedman and Anton Stralman, with the implication that, at least on offense, he has the potential to exceed both of those.

We will see.

I will admit to having trepidations when I learned the Bolts had drafted a "a skilled but troubled kid with an attitude", but if his heart is in being a true professional NHL player, then whatever fire got him INTO trouble can be harnessed into being the best player he can be.

Bolts will certainly be giving some Syracuse Crunch players time on the blueline at some point during the season (inevitable injuries almost demand it anyways), and I am not sure DeAngelo will be one of them (at least not THIS season), but hey, you never know.

Maybe guys like he, Slater Koekkoek, and Nikita Nesterov can continue to push and push and make the Bolts realize: "Hey, we really DON'T need to keep paying Matt Carle $5.5M to be on our blue line!"  ;)

Thread BUMP and DeAngelo follow up...from the Tampa Bay Times:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/lightning-2014-top-pick-anthony-deangelo-maturing-on-off-ice/2235384

All indications are that DeAngelo is rounding his game around to where the organization wants it.

He seems ready and willing to do whatever is asked of him in order to let his natural talents shine through.

DeAngelo seemingly has done all he can in Juniors, and the article suggests next stop for him will be AHL Syracuse....though DeAngelo himself looks to have his eye on making the Tampa Bay Lightning out of training camp THIS year.

That is probably a stretch for him, but no shame for him being a full time Crunch player, as he turns 20 come October.

His skillset is being mentioned in the same breath as guys like Victor Hedman and Anton Stralman, with the implication that, at least on offense, he has the potential to exceed both of those.

We will see.

I will admit to having trepidations when I learned the Bolts had drafted a "a skilled but troubled kid with an attitude", but if his heart is in being a true professional NHL player, then whatever fire got him INTO trouble can be harnessed into being the best player he can be.

Bolts will certainly be giving some Syracuse Crunch players time on the blueline at some point during the season (inevitable injuries almost demand it anyways), and I am not sure DeAngelo will be one of them (at least not THIS season), but hey, you never know.

Maybe guys like he, Slater Koekkoek, and Nikita Nesterov can continue to push and push and make the Bolts realize: "Hey, we really DON'T need to keep paying Matt Carle $5.5M to be on our blue line!"  ;)

I am quite sure if they could find a taker for Carle, they would.

But who would take him? most of the league knows what he is. Clarkson in defense form

Archived