Babcock goes on Pegula's private jet to interview for Sabres job

Buffalo Rick

Babcock was in Buffalo today and was interviewed in private with Terry Pegula and GM Murray with whom he has a past with. Perhaps Pegula's deep pockets and a good core of young talent will be attractive to the long time Wings coach? I wonder if the Sabres would prefer to have their guy before the big draft?

@Hockey Junkie

The coach shouldn't be a big factor prior to the draft. No matter who's coaching, Eichel is their pick, and nobody else from the draft is likely to make the team. 

I understand this.  Eichel is a no brainer but then we have have the issue of our second first round pick.   The Islanders number one pick is ours.  And Murray has made it clear he may trade that pick for established talent and is going to wait for the phone to ring.  It will be ringing off the hook.  Many FA's will want to play in Buffalo now because of Eichel, Kane and Pegula.

@Hockey Junkie

I don't think Kane is much of a draw...actually just the contrary. Until he proves otherwise, he's just a jerk with some talent. In 6 NHL seasons he's managed one 30 goal season, and has yet to even hit 20 in any other one. His real claim to fame is knocking out Matt Cooke, and being run out of town in Winnipeg.

Buffalo has a bright future, but you better be patient. Your best players are all on the young side. Thats a good thing going forward, but it isn't going to win you anything in the present.

@Hockey Junkie

I don't think Kane is much of a draw...actually just the contrary. Until he proves otherwise, he's just a jerk with some talent. In 6 NHL seasons he's managed one 30 goal season, and has yet to even hit 20 in any other one. His real claim to fame is knocking out Matt Cooke, and being run out of town in Winnipeg.

Buffalo has a bright future, but you better be patient. Your best players are all on the young side. Thats a good thing going forward, but it isn't going to win you anything in the present.

I do not agree with you because Murray has said he is going to do what it takes to win sooner than later.  I am not crazy and am not saying we are going to win the Cup next year.  But we certainly could be in a position to battle for a lower playoff seed.  In this league fast turnarounds happen yearly.  Buffalo has the talent coming in, and it is going to depend on how he makes out on bringing in free agents and what he gets for that other number one in a trade.  Goalie is huge  too.  I have two ideas, Miller returning or going after Talbot.  I assure you Talbot will be avialable.  He is not going to ride  the bench.   We have some solid vets to build around in Moulson, Bogosian, Gionta(who has at least a couple good years left) and more will be coming.  I am glad they showed Stafford the door.  That in itself was a positive. Dont sell the Sabres too short until after June.  And I am sure Babcock enjoyed Pegula's company on his private jet

The Sabres were easily the worst team in the entire league last year.

I won't argue that point but before they add talent in Mcdavid i think the Sabres have more talent on paper....or maybe it looks that way because they have more blueline talent. Both are empty in net though.

I won't argue that point but before they add talent in Mcdavid i think the Sabres have more talent on paper....or maybe it looks that way because they have more blueline talent. Both are empty in net though.

They aren't getting McDavid.

The sabres have some excellent prospects, especially on D. That isn't going to make them a playoff team this year though. In a few years they should be pretty good though. IF they get a goalie.

They aren't getting McDavid.

The sabres have some excellent prospects, especially on D. That isn't going to make them a playoff team this year though. In a few years they should be pretty good though. IF they get a goalie.

I was referring to the Oilers in comparison to th3 Sabres...but i guess it didn't exactly read that way so i understand the confusion...anyways its what i meant no way the Oilers pass on Mcdavid but they have some decent forward depth and one great young Dman...but that is it...but both teams are barren in net.

Archived