Jeff Petry: Will he resign in Montreal?

@J0e Th0rnton  I've never thought to much about Petry...but WOW, did he look good in the playoffs, a study.....rock solid d-man who was just obliterating guys who tried to sneak by him on the boards....I had no idea Petry was so physical....he was a real force out there, if I'm Montreal, I don't hesitate to lock him up. As long as he does not get carried away with the cash he seeks, I see a 3 or 4 year deal for Jeff.

@jammer2

He played well...for a contract. 

He certainly looked way better than he has for most of his career. I'd be weary of giving him a McDud of a contract.

HA HA....yeah, we have probably seen the last shred of physicality out of Jeff, just enough to get the big deal.......remember the amazing playoff Fernando Pisini had for the Oilers years back....Pisini started out crap......exploded in the one playoff year....signed a very nice summer contract,( while the dominant performance was still in everyone's mind) then, inexplicably reverted to total crap during that falls training camp....and stayed there till he retired.....fools Gold, a lot of these "comes up big in the playoffs deal"....either you pay him, or someone else will, sometimes a much better idea to let them walk rather than try to mine Gold from a defunct digging site. Imagine if John Druce was in a contract year?.....LOL,...it would have been like hitting a lottery or something....ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the first year under Eakins, Petry has consistently been a good possession defenseman. The move to Montreal just showcased how good he really is.

Has all of the tools, he found his consistency this year. He's the Strålman/Niskanen of this UFA crop.

1VT50nY.png

HA HA....yeah, we have probably seen the last shred of physicality out of Jeff, just enough to get the big deal.......remember the amazing playoff Fernando Pisini had for the Oilers years back....Pisini started out crap......exploded in the one playoff year....signed a very nice summer contract,( while the dominant performance was still in everyone's mind) then, inexplicably reverted to total crap during that falls training camp....and stayed there till he retired.....fools Gold, a lot of these "comes up big in the playoffs deal"....either you pay him, or someone else will, sometimes a much better idea to let them walk rather than try to mine Gold from a defunct digging site. Imagine if John Druce was in a contract year?.....LOL,...it would have been like hitting a lottery or something....ha ha.

I missed this before. jammer, your assessment of Fernando Pisani just couldn't be more incorrect.

-Pisani came up as a 26-year old rookie and was placed in a checking assignment against the toughs. During his 3 regular seasons leading up to the 2006 playoffs, he averaged 2.15 Pts/60. This is the *exact* same rate as Teemu Selanne and Alex Kovalev put up during the same time period. During this time, playing against tough competition in a checking-first role, Pisani's line accounted for 58% of the goals scored: they outscored the scorers they were supposed to shut down.

-Then he had that great playoff run, as you mention, and was signed to the big contract. I also thought it was too high of a cap hit.

-And then he got sick. Shortly after signing that large extension with the Oilers, Pisani was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, and was quite unwell most of the time. He was continually suffering from rectal bleeding, severe abdominal pain and diarrhea. I remember reading an interview where he noted he was going to the bathroom upwards of 30 times per day. His diet became extremely limited, was in constant discomfort, acquired diabetes due to the meds he was on, and his weight dropped from 200+ pounds to 160, which would be very thin on a 6'1" frame, and absolutely emaciated for an NHL player. Considering that he was left exhausted after climbing the stairs in his house, you can imagine how his job, which was to play against opposing team's top forwards (and still scoring 15ish goals) was going. He just wasn't up to the task anymore, and his effectiveness was greatly diminished on both sides of the puck... And the scary thing? As a sick, scrawny and exhausted man on the wrong side of the 30, he still averaged 1.6 Pts/60 for the next 3 years.

His GP dropped to 56, then 38, and finally 40 in 2010, his last year as an Oiler. Just couldn't do it anymore. He signed on with CHI, and played 60 games in 2011: just enough for him to get his NHL pension. I'm glad he was able to get it.

Pisani was the furthest thing from crap before the contract, and then became ill after signing it. At 5% of the cap, I don't think he had a chance to outperform the contract, but Kevin Lowe had no way of knowing that Pisani would be stricken by an incurable disease.

@JR Ewing  Oh, geez, thanks for much for the correction. I had *no* idea about his sickness, that is indeed quite horrible and he obviously gets a pass. I was just kinda stating what I was seeing from the outside peering in. I always wondered what happened, cause you can't fake the kind of slick moves and speed this guy was blessed with.

Archived