Forget Tanking... How About Common Sense?

WordsOfWisdom

I would have agreed with you a few months ago, but with the arrival of Peter Chiarelli, I think for the first time in a LONG time, the Oilers are actually being run by a legit hockey mind. This is the guy who off loaded Kessel for Seguin and Hamilton....(let go of Seguin much to cheaply, but a story for another day).....he will be ripping off teams left and right, instead of being the fleecee, the Oilers are now going to turn the table and be doing the fleecing. Having a another GREAT hockey mind in upper management, Bob Nicholson...the long time president of Hockey Canada will not hurt either. Those are two talented hockey minds that will inevitably turn this ship around.

let's hope you're correct!

don't get stupid when signing a player! (3-4 yrs for time) a little common sense goes a long way! Sometimes it is better to have a bunch of average to above average players than a superstar with a bunch of below average players!

True, although from what I'm watching these days, only your TOP 5 players determine whether you win or lose in today's NHL. The rest of the players on the team are just filler and there's no difference in talent level between one team's filler players and another. :)

I thought the lottery system was to prevent *tanking*. I guess I was wrong!

It would be if it wasn't weighted. It's not a "true" lottery system because it's loaded. Also, the NHL has to immediately dump the rule that allows the 30th place team to draft no lower than 2nd. That rule circumvents the draft lottery and is more likely to cause tanking than the draft lottery itself.

Example:

• If I buy a lottery ticket, and my odds of winning are 1 in 100 while everyone else has 1 in 1,000,000 odds, that's not a true lottery.
  • If I buy a lottery ticket knowing that I can't do any worse than the 2nd place prize (which is usually thousands of dollars in cash), and everyone else gets nothing when they fail to win the lottery, that's not a true lottery either. That's a rigged/loaded lottery.

The Buffalo Sabres went into the draft lottery this year knowing they had far better odds of winning than anyone else, and that even if they didn't win the big prize, they were going to win the consolation prize guaranteed. So the Sabres enter with a probability tree that reads two outcomes: 1st or 2nd. Everyone else entered the draft with: 1-14th or 1-14th... no guarantee of anything.

:)

Also, the NHL has to immediately dump the rule that allows the 30th place team to draft no lower than 2nd. That rule circumvents the draft lottery and is more likely to cause tanking than the draft lottery itself.

Already done. Next year the top three choices will be lottery picks. #30 could drop to 4 overall...

@JackStraw

That's what I thought. The "#30 could drop to 4 overall" comment threw me for a loop.

The "last place" team (with the worst record) could lose all three lottery chances at the top 3 picks and drop to 4.

Archived