Welcome to the Sharks Timo Meier the Moosehead hero!

J0e Th0rnton

Timo Meier

Offensive zone ability: B+

Offensive transition ability: B

Puck movement and possession retention: B-

Defensive transition ability: B

Defensive zone ability: C+

Defense: athletic

Offense: forceful

Keywords, unique identity traits: shot, ability to find "soft spots" to get his shot off, physical

Room for improvement: utilizing his physicality with more in-game application to separate the puck carrier from the puck, balanced passing, more patience with the puck

Full analysis:

Timo Meier is a pro-sized physical forward that plays with grit and utilizes his quick-release to be a scorer. Has great nose for the net, and consistently positions himself as a shooting option. Doesn't have issues with physicality as he will both take hits as well as dish out on his own, in fact seems to enjoy the physical aspects of the game. Although not the fastest guy around, he displays a good compete level and wants to be a difference-maker on the ice, effort is not a question as his work-ethic is above-average. Although he plays both center and wing positions, his game in my opinion lends itself better to the wing.

One of the things that jumps out right away with Meier is that he is a rather direct straight-line forward that plays at a high compete level and is willing to be physical, finishing checks on the forecheck, pushing and shoving, and essentially being physically involved in the game as he can be a pain to play against. As a forward, he utilizes his smarts mostly to find open ice and position himself for a shot. In fact, that is one of the aspects of the game that he excels at. Has consistent ability to find "holes" on the ice and a quick-release accurate shot to take advantage of it. Also does not mind getting his nose dirty around the net.

While he does posses the ability to read the play, his M.O. is that of a shooter, as he doesn't get as involved in the passing game. He does have an interesting tendency to try high risk passes that do sometimes work, but often times are actually counter-productive for his team's possession time. There is a bit of a tendency to try no-look passes into space, and other high risk "hope" passes, that if they work out look great, but overall actually tend to be more counter-productive as Meier doesn't really excel as a high-end playmaker.

Instead it would be beneficial for Meier to balance his passing game. Right now, I'm not even sure if he has any notion of how much more effective he would be if he tried to commit himself to supporting the puck more and simplifying his passing game, providing more options and making more simple plays rather than always going for broke, he needs to realize that there is really no need for him to always look for the high-end play when the puck gets on his stick. Of course he could try one of those high-risk passes once in a while, but being more involved and patient would have an exponentially positive effect on the amount of chances he would get, as increased zone time would actually increase his effectiveness by giving him more chance to look for those holes on the ice where he could get his shot off. So, there might be untapped potential for even more offense there if Meier would commit to a more patient low-risk offensive zone game, and have a better balance as a forward.

Defensively he does have a good effort level, but could stand to support more and commit more positionally, much like his offensive game, here too he plays a very aggressive game and can take himself out of play with over-aggression on the puck-carrier. And here, I think is the second biggest improvement for Meier. In my opinion, his hitting is really a work in progress, he does dish out but he is quite often late and sometimes arrives by the time the puck has already left. Now, that is still useful simply for wearing down the opposition, but if Meier could improve as a physical presence so that his timing would consistently be on point, he would become a very useful player at the next level. That is the difference between a 3rd line grinder and a guy who can pot 30+ goals playing next to a 1st line playmaking center. Meier needs to learn how to utilize his physicality to separate the player from the puck, so that his hitting has a bigger in-game application to what is happening with the play. If he could bring that up to a high level and create that puck separation, then there is a chance that with his shot he could be a top line complimentary player where he would provide that forechecking game and be the shooting option.

As he is right now, I think he projects more at a 3rd line high-energy winger that can chip in a couple of goals with his shot. I think if he added that more balanced passing game and added better more purposeful physicality to his game, then I think with the shot that he has and the compete level that he has, he could be a complimentary player in the top 6, even top line. However whether that happens comes down to Meier's development. Either way, he should be a nice addition as a high energy forward with a good shot that gets involved physically and doesn't mind doing whatever it takes to win. A very solid add for a team that would like to bring its compete level and commitment on ice up to par.

Development focus: Developmentally what I would like him to add, is limit his high risk passing and balance it with better puck-support and more patience. Would like him to also add a bit more speed to his skating, that would likely make a big difference to his capability to hit with correct timing. And speaking of that, I would like him to improve the purpose of his hitting, would like him to use his physicality to be more consistently involved in the play, where he creates puck separation with it.

Projection: Right now I would project him as a top 6 winger that plays a high-energy game and can contribute with his shot, could play special teams

@J0e Th0rnton

I really liked our draft jumbo, trading up for Roy was huge now we have him & Bergman as our top defencemen prospects. Mike Johnson inthe 3rd i liked what i've read on him . I absolutely love the Helewka pick inthe 4th rd great value pick for a scoring winger coming off a 87 pt 44g 43a for the Spokane Chiefs. And Parsells the big defenceman we took inthe 5th rd a 6'5 190lbs Righty who's committed to play for Wisconsin in 2016 i can go on & on ......all in all i think we had a helluva draft.

Offensive zone ability: B+
Offensive transition ability: B
Puck movement and possession retention: B-
Defensive transition ability: B
Defensive zone ability: C+
Defense: athletic
Offense: forceful

Nice pick so does he get a spot on the Sharks next year or back to juniors?

@J0e Th0rnton

I really liked our draft jumbo, trading up for Roy was huge now we have him & Bergman as our top defencemen prospects. Mike Johnson inthe 3rd i liked what i've read on him . I absolutely love the Helewka pick inthe 4th rd great value pick for a scoring winger coming off a 87 pt 44g 43a for the Spokane Chiefs. And Parsells the big defenceman we took inthe 5th rd a 6'5 190lbs Righty who's committed to play for Wisconsin in 2016 i can go on & on ......all in all i think we had a helluva draft.

Trading up for Roy IS huge.

I stopped watching after 24, but was beyond surprised he was still on the board at 31. I had no idea. Speechless really when i saw we got him.

This draft blew my socks off.

This draft was so deep guys like Meier and Rantanen would have gone top 5 in a lot of years the past 5 years. Roy was ranked very highly by many.

Central scouting had him 21, ISS had him 23, Mackenzie had him 29, Button had him 27, Damien Cox had him 20, Ryan Kennedy 24, Mackeen 24, ESPN 19, The hockey news 26, Thehockeywriters 17, Future considerations had him 13!, Hockeyprospectus 26.

Basically, a draft this deep, where guys from 8-14 might have gone 3-4 in years past, just knock 10 spots off and presume in a regular draft, Roy goes in the 7-15 range.

We may as well have had two 1st round picks. We could not have picked a better year to miss the playoffs

Nice pick so does he get a spot on the Sharks next year or back to juniors?

Unless he has an unreal camp, probably another year with the Mooseheads where i can watch him lol. I'd like to see how he handles being the team leader without Ehlers. Everyone thought Ehlers was a product of Drouin, but Ehlers proved them wrong. not many watched Meiers and thought he was a product of Ehlers. he was just damn good

We have a boatload of forward prospects. No need to rush him

I doubt he makes the big club if anything he'll get an ECL & play for the Cuda next year.

I think he'll have to play junior or the NHL next year because the age requirement is 20.

Unless he has an unreal camp, probably another year with the Mooseheads where i can watch him lol. I'd like to see how he handles being the team leader without Ehlers. Everyone thought Ehlers was a product of Drouin, but Ehlers proved them wrong. not many watched Meiers and thought he was a product of Ehlers. he was just damn good

We have a boatload of forward prospects. No need to rush him

So who is this mystery goaltender i keep reading the Sharks are trying to acquire??? Do know?

So who is this mystery goaltender i keep reading the Sharks are trying to acquire??? Do know?

No idea. If Dallas wants Niemi's negotiating rights, is Lehtonen on the block? Is Bernier or Reimer still bait? Why did Boston get Jones? Cam Ward being shopped? Ramo as UFA? Mrazek took over the starter job in Detroit, so Howard being shopped? Are the blues shopping Elliott? Anaheim just picked up Khubodin, why? They have Gibson and Andersen.

The truth is, the 3 teams looking for a starter were Edmonton, Buffalo and San Jose. Now that we are the only team looking for a starter, the asking price is lowered. So many teams hopping a goalie and only us looking for a starter. to tempt us, they will need to be low cost in this buyers market unless something stupid like Rask being shopped comes up.(Entirely possible given Sweeney having everyone in Boston asking "What the actual ****?)

I think he'll have to play junior or the NHL next year because the age requirement is 20.

He could play inthe AHL next year.........AHL minimum age requirement is 18.  We sent Goldobin & Bergman there at the end of last season.

He could play inthe AHL next year.........AHL minimum age requirement is 18. We sent Goldobin & Bergman there at the end of last season.

That is for Euro's but by the agreement with junior teams, if a junior team owns his rights and he isn't going to play in the NHL they want him returned to the junior team.

Nikolay Goldobin was playing overseas last year so i think he played on a ATO in the AHL which happens for many players at the end of their season, it even happens to the junior players once their teams are eliminated from the playoffs in juniors.

Timo if he doesn't make the Sharks next year will play for the Moose next year.

That is for Euro's but by the agreement with junior teams, if a junior team owns his rights and he isn't going to play in the NHL they want him returned to the junior team.

Gotcha didn't know that. Thanks bud. :thumbsu:

That's why Goldobin could only join the AHL team after the Sarnia Sting were out:p

Truthfully, Goldobin did not look comfortable yet. He is so small lol

Plus he has to be signed to an entry level contract which i don't think the Sharks have done yet...then he has to be put on a playoff eligible list prior to the playoffs...

...so that all has to be done before he can play in the playoffs.

Plus he has to be signed to an entry level contract which i don't think the Sharks have done yet...then he has to be put on a playoff eligible list prior to the playoffs...

...so that all has to be done before he can play in the playoffs.

They signed Goldobin to an ELC last september and he played for Worcester in the playoffs. I actually watched a few games.

You can definitely see his talent. He was just not ready. Whole new team and system doesn't happen in a week. And he is a stickfigure.

Played on a line with Lerg and Trupp.

Grossnick was a sieve. Sommers is a moron coach

They signed Goldobin to an ELC last september and he played for Worcester in the playoffs

Ok wasn't sure i hadn't seen it....but to be playoff eligible in the NHL each team must submit a list of eligible players to be able to play....nit sure if he was on that list.

For those thinking Meier was a product of Ehlers.

Meier 1.49PPG in 51 games with Ehlers

Meier 1.40PPG in 10 games without Ehlers

Not bad! Obviously a slight bump with a fellow superstar, but hardly the product of him.

Archived