All-Time New York Islanders Team

ScottM

7195_new_york_islanders-jersey-1996.png

The NHL added the New York Islanders in 1972 to keep the fledgling WHA out of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. It did not take long at all for the team to establish itself as a force in the league, and the Islanders formed dynasty in the early 1980's. Unsurprisingly, this lineup features quite a few stars from those glory days.

First Line: Clark Gillies, Bryan Trottier, Mike Bossy

Second Line: John Tonelli, John Tavares, Ziggy Palffy

Third Line: Steve Thomas, Pat LaFontaine, Bob Nystrom

Fourth Line: Matt Moulson, Pierre Turgeon, Billy Harris

First Defensive Pair: Denis Potvin, Ken Morrow

Second Defensive Pair: Stefan Persson, Adrian Aucoin

Third Defensive Pair: Mark Streit, Kenny Jonsson

Goaltenders: Billy Smith, Glenn Resch, Kelly Hrudey

Coach: Al Arbour

The Islanders have had a lot of talent in their history. The centers, defense, and goalies were pretty straightforward to me, and the coach was obviously a no-brainer. Choosing and ranking some of the wingers was a little tougher, though again, those found on the top two lines seemed pretty obvious (with the possible exception of switching Palffy and Nystrom).

Great list, a few changes I would make:

No way no how period does Tavares at this point of his career deserve to be ranked ahead of Lafontaine. No way.

I would probably go with Ed Westfall over Moulson on the fourth lone.

Love the recognition of Persson, he seems to have been forgotten over the years but he was huge on the Dynasty team.

No way no how period does Tavares at this point of his career deserve to be ranked ahead of Lafontaine. No way.

Looking at the list today, I think I would reverse that order if I did it again. I think the reason I gave Tavares the nod was the two top-three Hart trophy finishes compared to a fifth place finish for LaFontaine. But yeah, I do think I'd reverse that now.

I would probably go with Ed Westfall over Moulson on the fourth lone.

That was one of those "tougher" decisions. I went back and fourth between those two a couple of times.

Love the recognition of Persson, he seems to have been forgotten over the years but he was huge on the Dynasty team.

Persson was really a top-notch defenseman. I guess those teams just had so many superstars (Potvin in particular in Persson's case), that he's been kind of shoved aside.

HA! Funny, I clicked on this thread to make sure that Persson was on the team and getting his just due!

Some other thoughts, hey....I know Butch Goring was only on the Islanders for 5 years, but they won during 4 of his 5 years....and quite honestly, I don't think they win the first one without his scoring and energy.

A few others that *may* have been left out....always thought that Bob Bourne was underrated, no Sutters mentioned and Aucoin looks out of place, I'd rather see a Dave Langevin thrown in there than Aucoin.

@jammer2

Yeah a Sutter deserved some props, I thought the same, Langevin popped in my head too. My God were those eighties Isles stacked. And the fact that so few players from other eras make the list shows just how good the Isles were back then.

Archived