How do you like your newest D-man?

I don't think Matt Irwin was terribly impressive for the Sharks...will he do better in Boston?

Hard to say.

But at this point, it honestly feels like Boston is just trying to throw bodies in the lineup and see what may stick after parting with some key pieces this off season and not exactly 'lighting it up' at the draft.

Now, if Matt Irwin makes Boston a more pedestrian team than they were trending, and if he adversely affects the performance of the PK (does he even play on special teams??), and the defense in general.....AND if he is the cause for a big turnover at absolutely the wrong time against a division rival (oh, I dunno, say, the Lightning perhaps :ph34r:  ), then I think this is a FANTASTIC signing for the Bruins!

I LOVE seeing the Bruins make signings like this!

Frickin awesome! :rolleyes:

7774042.jpg

Thoughts on Matt Irwin? He will be a Bruin!

Now I am REALLY laughing at Boston.

Irwin improved in the end games of the season, but he was a trainwreck for the majority of his time. The only NHL caliber quality he possesses is his shot. He can barely skate or hold his balance, his gap control blows, his decision making it about as good as Niemi's with the puck and I don't care what his advanced stats say. The guy was sheltered like MAD.

Thank god he is going to a slower team lol.

I will eagerly be going to bruins threads by November to see how much they are cursing him lol.

Now I am REALLY laughing at Boston.

Irwin improved in the end games of the season, but he was a trainwreck for the majority of his time. The only NHL caliber quality he possesses is his shot. He can barely skate or hold his balance, his gap control blows, his decision making it about as good as Niemi's with the puck and I don't care what his advanced stats say. The guy was sheltered like MAD.

Thank god he is going to a slower team lol.

I will eagerly be going to bruins threads by November to see how much they are cursing him lol.

You say that, but who was better than him in the later half of the season on the bottom pair? Tennyson? Fedun? Mueller? I agree that Irwin has flaws, but he played well. He might be overcoming some of them.

This could be a good value signing for the Bruins. If he continues to work on his weak points, he might be a contributor. 

You say that, but who was better than him in the later half of the season on the bottom pair? Tennyson? Fedun? Mueller? I agree that Irwin has flaws, but he played well. He might be overcoming some of them.

This could be a good value signing for the Bruins. If he continues to work on his weak points, he might be a contributor. 

Fedun actually looked good in his limited call up. Mueller was out injured, but was better all year. Tennyson plays the right side, and yeah, was better.

The only dman worse than Irwin was Hannan.

Irwin can never overcome his worst flaw. Horrid slow skating. As Slow as Douglas Murray, and half his size lol. And his edgework is so bad his balance........well, needless to say, he gets knocked off his feet easily.

He is also prone to really dumb plays under pressure.

But to each his own :P

I thought he made a serviceable #6 in the last stretch of the season after being horrid all year, but I am glad he is gone.

• 3 months later...

Archived