Patrick Sharp Traded!

Patrick-Sharp.jpeg

Patrick Sharp and Steven Johns traded to the Stars for Trevor Daley and Ryan Garbutt.

I don't think Oduya is returning to Chicago after this trade.

The Blackhawks eliminate $1.70M in cap space with this trade. They now sit $81,540 under the cap ceiling. Thanks to www.generalfanager.com 

Update: The Stars are retaining 50% of Garbutt's contract. $900,000 staying in Dallas.

@jammer2

I agree. The Blackhawks definitely made a good move in acquiring a steady defenseman and a very good depth forward.

Check out my thoughts on the Dallas perspect of this trade from my blog.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/blog/68/entry-756-dallas-stars-land-patrick-sharp/

@teenagemutantninjahertl  I thought your blog covered the Sharp deal well. The other thing to consider, from the Hawks perspective....they lost a lot of grit and sandpaper when Sadd left for Columbus. Garbutt will not make up for all of the missed points, but he can help make up for the lost grit and physicality on the Hawks roster.

@teenagemutantninjahertl  I thought your blog covered the Sharp deal well. The other thing to consider, from the Hawks perspective....they lost a lot of grit and sandpaper when Sadd left for Columbus. Garbutt will not make up for all of the missed points, but he can help make up for the lost grit and physicality on the Hawks roster.

Thanks.

That is true. I am going to write on the Blackhawks tomorrow. I think they lost more speed in the Saad deal than sandpaper, but that is an underrated part of Saad's game. Good point. Garbutt will be a solid third liner with some opportunity to play higher if needed. I think this means Bickell is expendable.

Patrick-Sharp.jpeg

Patrick Sharp and Steven Johns traded to the Stars for Trevor Daley and Ryan Garbutt.

I don't think Oduya is returning to Chicago after this trade.

The Blackhawks eliminate $1.70M in cap space with this trade. They now sit $81,540 under the cap ceiling. Thanks to www.generalfanager.com 

Update: The Stars are retaining 50% of Garbutt's contract. $900,000 staying in Dallas.

Check the Stars thread i said a week or so ago they need to trade for him.

It seemed like a good fit.

@jammer2

I agree. The Blackhawks definitely made a good move in acquiring a steady defenseman and a very good depth forward.

Check out my thoughts on the Dallas perspect of this trade from my blog.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/blog/68/entry-756-dallas-stars-land-patrick-sharp/

Good read...in case i haven't said it i love the sig name...ninja hertl to funny.

A couple of nice pickups for Chicago, Daley had a career year offensively and has some talent, Garbutt has already established himself as a guy who you absolutely do not want to play against, a good checker and tenatious and a bit of offensive ability. Not a bad return for a guy who is aging and whose contract was becoming an albatross. AND they got Dallas to retain salary.

Dallas two years ago was a one trick pony, one line and then pray. last year They added Spezza who was good and Hemsky who was not,adding Sharp to go with Spezza on the second line is a smart move. I have been critical of Sharp as a player who is living off past glories and is not that good anymore and I still feel that way, if he shows up intent upon reigniting his career, on a line with Spezza, on a power play with Seguin and Benn, well he could do a lot worse.

A couple of nice pickups for Chicago, Daley had a career year offensively and has some talent, Garbutt has already established himself as a guy who you absolutely do not want to play against, a good checker and tenatious and a bit of offensive ability. Not a bad return for a guy who is aging and whose contract was becoming an albatross. AND they got Dallas to retain salary.

Dallas two years ago was a one trick pony, one line and then pray. last year They added Spezza who was good and Hemsky who was not,adding Sharp to go with Spezza on the second line is a smart move. I have been critical of Sharp as a player who is living off past glories and is not that good anymore and I still feel that way, if he shows up intent upon reigniting his career, on a line with Spezza, on a power play with Seguin and Benn, well he could do a lot worse.

Nailed it sort of.......

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/65391-stars-acquire-rights-to-niemi/#entry250595

Posted Jul 01, 2015 - 09:19 PM

Stars need to pony up and swing a trade for Patrick Sharp...

telling him what he's won Alex..................... :ph34r:

One thing that stood out to me from this trade was the fact that it was an intra-divisional trade.

Does Chicago not think much of Patrick Sharp any longer that they don't care if he goes to a divisional rival (and an up n coming one at that)?

Or was it desperation, and they needed to dump Sharp's contract, regardless of where they did it....including a divisional opponent.

Probably a bit of both, but also, maybe Dallas' offer for Sharp was about the best the Hawks were gonna get given how well teams know Chicago is in under cap arrest.

Also, from Dallas' point of view, they must REALLY be banking on some sort of rebound from Sharp, because they gave up a pretty good defenseman in Daley and a whole lot of sandpaper (and broke up  some chemistry between Garbutt and Dominic Roussel), in order to get him....and Daley and Garbutt may come back to bite Dallas in the rear when the teams meet in one of several matchups throughout the season and possibly into the playoffs.

Archived