nhl.yahoo.com readers, rise up

aziz

ok, so, i've not completely left my lurker status in all things hockey, but i finally got tired of ryan lambert over at yahoo's hockey pages.  ranted pretty good, the guy is a jackoff that i can't believe is being published on something that is trying to be a resource for fans.  i encourage everyone that read's yahoo's stuff to do the same.  the site has good information (albeit, generally a day late), but this one dude's rant column needs hate.  posted my response to this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-power-rankings--experience-factor--del-zotto-s-deal--expansion-dreams-193937187.html

i'm ehrenf there.  glorious will be the day yahoo decides this guy is way more flamebait than he is a contributor.  every "seriously, get rid of this guy" helps.

I don't know... If this is about what he wrote about Del Zotto........ I don't think he's *that* far off. MDZ brings top pairing offense, but the Flyers defintely bled chances against while he was on the ice, and there is a real risk when you're hoping for a repeat of a shooting percentage. But, I don't think he's a bum, and on a deeper defense he could be used more appropriately. Cap hit? He's on his 4th NHL contract, and though it constitutes a raise, guys with boxcar numbers always get paid, so it's not like a complete horror show.

@jammer2@JR Ewing@idahophilly@aziz

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/and-now-for-something-completely-serious--ranking-the-top-25-nhl-centers-in-2015-16-205732570-nhl.html

You can really tell when Yahoo writers don't know CRAP about hockey, or watch the players they rank.

Case in point. Pavelski is ranked to be 14th best center next year.......He has not played Center regularly in 2 years.

Couture ranked 16th..........Oh they praise his skating and shot. His skating? Couture would be fighting for the Art Ross if he could skate. His skating is his WORST attribute. Like molasses. Below average NHL skating. Above average IQ and ability to read the play, so he can get back into position quickly.

Thornton.............Should be above Couture. Well above

@jammer2@JR Ewing@idahophilly@aziz

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/and-now-for-something-completely-serious--ranking-the-top-25-nhl-centers-in-2015-16-205732570-nhl.html

You can really tell when Yahoo writers don't know CRAP about hockey, or watch the players they rank.

Case in point. Pavelski is ranked to be 14th best center next year.......He has not played Center regularly in 2 years.

Couture ranked 16th..........Oh they praise his skating and shot. His skating? Couture would be fighting for the Art Ross if he could skate. His skating is his WORST attribute. Like molasses. Below average NHL skating. Above average IQ and ability to read the play, so he can get back into position quickly.

I find this with most hockey writers out there.

Just because someone publishes their writings whether in a news paper, magazine , or a site such as yahoo does not make these guys anymore knowledgeable then some fans that are also life long students of the game.

Having said that I would venture to say that in a lot of cases the life long students of the game that are fans of the NHL are more knowledgeable then these writers.

Someone giving them a platform to spew their (in a lot of cases} garbage to the general public does not in any way shape or form make these guy's experts.

I realize that when discussing Thornton's value, you have to look past the offensive output and look at his all round game. He's great on draws, he can create on his own, he makes the players around him better....just for starters. However, when looking strictly at points...

Thornton

12-13 ........0.83 ppg

13-14.........0.92 ppg

14-15.........0.83 ppg

Couture

12-13........0.77 ppg

13-14........0,81 ppg

14-15........0.81 ppg

It's kinda even, but realistically, Joe is 36 and Logan is a full decade younger at 26. I believe Logan takes the ppg into the 0.90 range this coming season, I don't think he has peaked offensively whatsoever.

I'm kinda wondering if this might be the first year that Joe slips below 0.70 ppg. Father time catches us all, just Joe was able to keep him at an arms length longer than most, but I believe the decline will start this next season. Due to their ages, these are two guys headed into the opposite direction, at least pts wise.....so they should be ranked in and around each other I believe.

Archived