Jurco gets two-year deal

WingNut722

8008352.jpg

Tomas Jurco signed a two year deal worth $1.8 Million (worth $850,000 and 950,000, respectively).

Jurco skated well in the 2013-2014 season after the Wings were hampered by injuries, but only managed 3 goals and 15 assists last season.  I don't see if the contract allows Jurco to be sent down to the minors without going through waivers (it probably doesn't), but i can't help wondering if this is a contract that's made attractive to trade partners.  He's a young, capable player with an short-term, low budget contract.  

I guess the question is...has Ken Holland put Tomas Jurco "on sale"? 

8008352.jpg

Tomas Jurco signed a two year deal worth $1.8 Million (worth $850,000 and 950,000, respectively).

Jurco skated well in the 2013-2014 season after the Wings were hampered by injuries, but only managed 3 goals and 15 assists last season.  I don't see if the contract allows Jurco to be sent down to the minors without going through waivers (it probably doesn't), but i can't help wondering if this is a contract that's made attractive to trade partners.  He's a young, capable player with an short-term, low budget contract.  

I guess the question is...has Ken Holland put Tomas Jurco "on sale"? 

That's not a function of the contract. It's based on the number of pro games played since signing his first contract. Jurco is no longer waiver exempt. He's a decent young player, and would likely get claimed if the Wings waived him.

@WingNut722@AJgoal

Again, in my mind, this just puts even more strain on our ability--we should start saying INability--to hang on to all of these players after this season. I think this sets up a trade deadline position of selling even if we are in a position to make a trade or two to improve us going into the SCPs, to avoid the prospect of getting nothing for these players. Either that, or KH has just decided to let the boys play and use this only keep whichever one plays their role better in addition to how badly that role is needed i.e. how much it would hurt if they were gone. I think you've got it right, that Holland, like a chess player, is setting this up so that he has as many different options available to make interesting trades at the deadline, Jurco being one of his pieces.

Nice to have some extra pieces, though. No question about that. Better too many than not enough!

@SpikeDDS@AJgoal@WingNut722

It puts the Wings in the enviable position of having tons of valuable trading pieces. Not implying that they are studly but if we need a d-man or a center we can move a Jurco and or a Glendening with bigger and better coming up behind them. And they know they are playing for their supper. Play well or risk getting moved out. Again, depth player who knows he better find his game this year or he will be out of chances. He could be a 20 goal guy capable of playing either wing king of a modern Jason Williams who was a good player for several years. If not the next guy moves in.

• 4 weeks later...

@WingNut722@AJgoal

Again, in my mind, this just puts even more strain on our ability--we should start saying INability--to hang on to all of these players after this season. I think this sets up a trade deadline position of selling even if we are in a position to make a trade or two to improve us going into the SCPs, to avoid the prospect of getting nothing for these players. Either that, or KH has just decided to let the boys play and use this only keep whichever one plays their role better in addition to how badly that role is needed i.e. how much it would hurt if they were gone. I think you've got it right, that Holland, like a chess player, is setting this up so that he has as many different options available to make interesting trades at the deadline, Jurco being one of his pieces.

Nice to have some extra pieces, though. No question about that. Better too many than not enough!

I completely disagree. I think Holland is doing a great job making the 2015-16 team great and looking towards the future. The Wings currently have 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies on the roster. The team has no room to make moves right now, but 7 forwards, 2 defensemen, and a goalie off the books. That's a lot of flexibility.

Jurco is being counted on as a middle six forward who can score, last season he was inconsistent and that is being nice about it. Hopefully we can write it off as a sophomore slump and he bounces back, 20 goals is not out of the question, he does not need to be a superstar just a solid spear carrier, think Dan Cleary in his prime. If he bombs early he will be Arizona or New Jersey bound, replaced by Mantha or Athanasiou. Nice to have depth in the minors pushing the mid level talent.

The ones who are really on the bubble are Helm and Abdelkader both UFA at the end of the year. With the salary cap and the kids pushing for ice time, the two of them know they are playing for their jobs, same as Jurco. Very enviable position to be in.

@yave1964  No matte how Jurco performs this year, he is very tradeable regardless. He needs to take the next step as a pro. He needs to show consistency to match his very respectable skill level. As you said, the Wings have so much depth, he is easily replaceable. Whether it happens with Jurco or another youngster, the bottom line is, the Wings have to many forwards for to few spots. Inevitably, the Wings will trade off some of the youth and have them replenish their draft picks stockpile.....and the whole process begins anew. It's a great position to be in.

Archived