Same old?

BluPuk

Just a hair over a week until training camp opens.....

Are we going to start the season with Bozak as our "number 1" center? 

Is JVR going to still be on the team?

Are we going to have Reimer as our back-up?

Need I go on?

Gag me with a spoon..... :confused[1]:

@BluPuk

Reimer absolutely needs a fresh start and has since the third period debacle in game 7 against the Bruins several years ago. I believe he is talented, maybe not a star but certainly capable of being a starter in the NHL with the right team and right goalie coach. Toronto should have done Reimer (and themselves) a favor by dealing him several years ago. How he is still there is beyond me.

Bozak and Kadri IMHO are perfect as a second and third line centre, both have been bumped to a role that is beyond their skill. Nylander is young and raw, but if I were Toronto I might put him on a line with JVR and let him settle in with a trial by fire. It has worked VERY well in Calgary with Monahan, Toronto is not going anywhere this year anyway, why not give him big minutes and see what you have? The drawback is Babcock hates giving rookies and inexperienced players big minutes but maybe he will change in Toronto.

I would absolutely keep JVR on the team, he can score and with the correct linemates he will be better than last year. He had Bozak, a number two center and Kessel who was disinterested during the second half to put it mildly. Babcock has a history with guys like him of getting the most out of his talent. He is tremendously talented and if Babs gets him going the Leafs have a top line winger.

Personally I would play kids everywhere possible, see what you have and let them get a trial by fire. I moaned when I saw they signed Setoguchi, I shook my head last night when they signed Glencross, granted both are coming in as invitees with no lock to make the team but still, a couple of thirty soemthings who used to be good and now can still score a bit but not much else, why bother? Put Gauthier in as the 4th line center, see what you have in him. Same on defense, by the time the Leafs are good guys like Robidas are going to be on the golf course in Florida during the season, retired, so get them out of there and put Percy and Granberg and Reilly play 20 minutes a night, and sink or swim.

It is likely going to be a long season in Toronto, but truthfully, would you rather see Glencross and Parenteau and Winnick or would you rather see what you have in Leivo and Gauthier and Bailey?

@yave1964  You posted a lot of stuff I was thinking about. First, we all know that Phil Kessel was the driving force behind Bozek being a top line center, his skill set does not say anything close to top 6 IMHO. He will however make a perfect 3rd line center. Nylander is the best talent they have at center, despite his lack of experience. He is the best skating center and is the most creative...AND the best way to get respectable numbers out of JVR. Kadri is a 2nd line center in my books.

Just a hair over a week until training camp opens.....

1. Are we going to start the season with Bozak as our "number 1" center? 

2. Is JVR going to still be on the team?

3. Are we going to have Reimer as our back-up?

4. Need I go on?

5. Gag me with a spoon..... :confused[1]:

1. Sure, why not? It's worked so well in the past. :ph34r:

2. Sure, why not? Gotta get to the salary floor somehow.

3. It certainly looks that way.

4. Please do!  ;)

5. Agreed.

This is a throw-away year for the Leafs. It's their "Buffalo" year. The team is going to finish 29th or 30th. This will be a year to collect more prospects and be in the draft lottery again. Expectations are zero.

Archived