No Leafs Players in The Hockey News TOP 50 List (Another Milestone)

WordsOfWisdom

With Kessel gone, Phaneuf regressing, and Bernier being "Mr. Average", the Leafs don't have any players in THN's TOP 50 player list for the first time in history.   :(

The cover of this year's THN Yearbook is (gasp) Morgan Rielly. They should just put Babcock and Shanahan on the cover. Many long years ahead for Leafs fans....  :hocky:

@WordsOfWisdom  Nylander and Mitch Marner will both be in the top 50 by 2018, so there is hope right around the corner. An outside chance they will both be in the top 25 eventually. If I had to take a guess, I'd say JVR is the Leafs top guy right now, he probably comes in around 70ish.

You mean the great James Van Reimsdyk who everybody swears the Flyers miss isn't on that list? Shocking. :blink[1]:

I don't care how many goals that big floating piece of crap scores, I would want nothing to do him. He might just lead the league in inconsequential goals, so far behind they cannot catch up, or heaping on the goals as the Leafs have an insurmountable lead....lot's of garbage goals going on there.....not to mention when the Leafs were falling out of playoff contention, after being ranked #4 in the league leading up to Christmas....that is when JVR went into his big slump, one goal in 20 games!!  When the going gets tough, JVR melts like an ice cube in Death Valley.

LOL. Nylander? Why does everybody think that guy is going to be a star? I just haven't seen anything that points that way so far. This year, he will get every chance to make the big team - just like he did last year - and play out the season on the Marlies - just like he did last year - and everyone will say "gee, what a good player that kid is going to be" - just like last year.

All I have seen so far is a lot of natural ability combined with no grit, no heart, no desire, and no character. Those things can't be taught. 

And we could have drafted Nick Ritchie...... :blink[1]:  :hocky:

I don't care how many goals that big floating piece of crap scores, I would want nothing to do him. He might just lead the league in inconsequential goals, so far behind they cannot catch up, or heaping on the goals as the Leafs have an insurmountable lead....lot's of garbage goals going on there.....not to mention when the Leafs were falling out of playoff contention, after being ranked #4 in the league leading up to Christmas....that is when JVR went into his big slump, one goal in 20 games!!  When the going gets tough, JVR melts like an ice cube in Death Valley.

LOL. I almost wet myself laughing.  :lol:

Looking long term, I'm wondering if the Leafs as an organization can ever win enough games, enough Cups, and sustain that success long enough to offset all of the seasons they have had like these recent ones in my lifetime. In the past 20 years, the Leafs have maybe made the playoffs 5 times? The Red Wings have done it 20 times and have 4 Cups during that same time frame.

Whenever this "rebuild" concludes, the Leafs would have to be the most dominant team in the NHL for more than two consecutive decades just to UNDO the damage that they've caused. "Rebuilding" to have a tiny 3-5 year window of success isn't good enough for this organization. This "rebuild" needs to be an "organizational rebuild". This is about reputation. This is about legacy. This is about what type of franchise do the Leafs want to be going forward? Yankees or Cubs? At one point you could argue they were very "Yankee-like". In my lifetime they've been the Cubs of the NHL.

In the short run, franchises are subject to good luck and bad luck in terms of whether they win or not. But in the long run, it isn't luck. It's the mentality/attitude of the management in the organization that determines how successful it is. :)

LOL. Nylander? Why does everybody think that guy is going to be a star?

He will be a star, I'm sure of it. His skating is awesome, hockey sense awesome....moves..awesome. Not very physical, but all the other tools make up for that.

He will be a star, I'm sure of it. His skating is awesome, hockey sense awesome....moves..awesome. Not very physical, but all the other tools make up for that.

I just think you can work on skills, and improve them. You can't practice to improve on size and grit. You either have those or you don't.

According to The Hockey News:

Nylander: "Scorer learning to navigate North American game." ACQUIRED: 2014 draft, 8th overall. NHL: 2016-17.

They have him penciled in as the 4th line left winger on the depth chart.  :)

That sounds about right to me. I'm not saying the kid has no skill - he obviously does. But he will not be a "star" IMHO . I have watched this kid play nearly every NHL game he has played and a lot of AHL games as well, and I was beginning to wonder if I was missing something. But I think not. I watched him again last night and he looks like somebody who thinks he is entitled to a spot on the Leafs. All he has to do is show up.....

Been there, seen enough of that.

That sounds about right to me. I'm not saying the kid has no skill - he obviously does. But he will not be a "star" IMHO . I have watched this kid play nearly every NHL game he has played and a lot of AHL games as well, and I was beginning to wonder if I was missing something. But I think not. I watched him again last night and he looks like somebody who thinks he is entitled to a spot on the Leafs. All he has to do is show up.....

Been there, seen enough of that.

Well for the Leafs sake, they need to hit on a star prospect sooner rather than later, for the sake of the franchise. We've seen how many #1 picks the Oilers have been stockpiling in recent years and it hasn't made a positive impact on their franchise yet. The Leafs don't have any "can't miss" prospects. They're dealing with prospects that may be decent players in the NHL someday, or they may never play in the NHL. Who knows?

I basically take a wait & see approach. I don't pay any attention to prospects until they give me a reason to notice them at the NHL level.  :)

Archived