Pre-season Propsects: stand-outs, surprises and predictions

Podein25

I'm not gonna lie: I'm doing last minute research and am canvassing the board for first hand accounts of different teams where prospects or rookies, free agents and tryouts, are likely to make a team. 

For example, in New York, Oscar Lindberg has had a great camp and is still with the team. Will he make it? 

What about Goldobin in San Jose? Does he make the team? 

Here in Winnipeg, does Thomas Raffl, brother of Philly's Michael, make the Jets?

That kind of stuff. 

@Podein25

Dylan Larkin has just been filthy good in Detroit in the preseason, with both Helm and Datsyuk out I would personally give him the first month of the season in the big league and if he is struggling send him to Grand Rapids from there. Hard to believe he is a teenager.

Anthony Mantha has looked like he has a chip on his shoulder and has something to prove. He either will make the team or be the first call up when Franzen goes out again.

In Columbus Boone Jenner is looking great and looking to play on the top line with Johansen and Saad. He has speed to burn and is a great sleeper.

Devon Setoguchi was released from a camp tryout by the woeful Leafs which is Gods way of saying to work on your golf game.

Eddie Lack seems to be pulling ahead of Cam Ward in the Carolina netminder battle.

Curtis Glencross signed with the Avalanche and might put up 20-25 goals as a middle six winger.

Supposedly Lou is trying to lure Travis Zajac away from the Devils and get him to the Leafs, though God alone knows why.

Jonathan Drouin has been playing on the top line with Stamkos and huge things are expected of him. Fantasy wise, he might be worth a late round pickup.

Stuff like that?

Devon Setoguchi was released from a camp tryout by the woeful Leafs which is Gods way of saying to work on your golf game

LOL, isn't it?!

Stuff like that? 

Yes, that kind of stuff. Good stuff that kinda stuff. Still, it's not enough. Need more stuff!

Although he was recently sent down, Joe Blandisi had a really strong camp for the Devils and looks like he could be a find for them (he was originally drafted by Colorado but didn't sign with them).

As for the 6th overall pick Pavel Zacha, he looks very raw. You can see the skill is there, he just needs to refine his game and really figure out what kind of player he is, which he should do in Sarnia this year.

Although he was recently sent down, Joe Blandisi had a really strong camp for the Devils and looks like he could be a find for them (he was originally drafted by Colorado but didn't sign with them).

As for the 6th overall pick Pavel Zacha, he looks very raw. You can see the skill is there, he just needs to refine his game and really figure out what kind of player he is, which he should do in Sarnia this year.

I thought for certain that Zacha would stick with the big club, nothing to lose by having him on the roster learning at the best level in the world. I have always been of two minds with that, Edmonton shipped Draisatl out last year and he looks bigger and stronger this season, a few years ago they ruined Gagner by sticking him in the lineup as a kid. Sometimes it works, Calgary has done a brilliant job of bringing Monahan along as a teen, Vancouver let the enormously talented Bo Horvat play ten minutes a night in the first half and when he showed he was comfortable they upped his ice time and responsibilities and he was very, very good in the second half.

But yes, more often than not unless you have a patient coach ala Bob Hartley with Monahan it blows up. New Jersey will be pressed for victories, they might ask too much of Zacha and screw him up so it is likely the best move for him. Too bad, I think he is the real deal and was looking forward to seeing him play against men and see what he had.

I'm not gonna lie: I'm doing last minute research and am canvassing the board for first hand accounts of different teams where prospects or rookies, free agents and tryouts, are likely to make a team. 

For example, in New York, Oscar Lindberg has had a great camp and is still with the team. Will he make it? 

What about Goldobin in San Jose? Does he make the team? 

Here in Winnipeg, does Thomas Raffl, brother of Philly's Michael, make the Jets?

That kind of stuff. 

Not likely except for 9 games. Goldobin needs a year in the AHL.

Hertl is playing well in his preseason games and might surprise. But he is a 3rd year guy so he likely does not apply here. I suspect a breakout year now that he is being given his own line in his natural position.

Overall, I expect if any rookies crack the Roster, it will be Jonas Donskoi on wing and Demelo on defense, alternating the 6th/7th right side  spot with Tennyson. Mirco Mueller is all but certain to be sent down unless one of our Left D(Vlasic/Martin/Dillon) gets injured. His ELC is burning, but he is not ready, despite the fact that he was better than Hannan/Irwin last year and playing top 4 out of necessity.

@Podein25

Dylan Larkin has just been filthy good in Detroit in the preseason, with both Helm and Datsyuk out I would personally give him the first month of the season in the big league and if he is struggling send him to Grand Rapids from there. Hard to believe he is a teenager.

Anthony Mantha has looked like he has a chip on his shoulder and has something to prove. He either will make the team or be the first call up when Franzen goes out again.

In Columbus Boone Jenner is looking great and looking to play on the top line with Johansen and Saad. He has speed to burn and is a great sleeper.

Devon Setoguchi was released from a camp tryout by the woeful Leafs which is Gods way of saying to work on your golf game.

Eddie Lack seems to be pulling ahead of Cam Ward in the Carolina netminder battle.

Curtis Glencross signed with the Avalanche and might put up 20-25 goals as a middle six winger.

Supposedly Lou is trying to lure Travis Zajac away from the Devils and get him to the Leafs, though God alone knows why.

Jonathan Drouin has been playing on the top line with Stamkos and huge things are expected of him. Fantasy wise, he might be worth a late round pickup.

Stuff like that?

Are they actually separating Johansen and Foligno? Those two were magic last year. Jenner is playing wing now?

Are they actually separating Johansen and Foligno? Those two were magic last year. Jenner is playing wing now?

They have been talking of putting Foligno and Hartnell around Dubinsky,giving them two solid lines. Not certain what I think of that. I agree, Foligno looked like a star playing alongside of Johansen last year.

I thought for certain that Zacha would stick with the big club, nothing to lose by having him on the roster learning at the best level in the world. I have always been of two minds with that, Edmonton shipped Draisatl out last year and he looks bigger and stronger this season, a few years ago they ruined Gagner by sticking him in the lineup as a kid. Sometimes it works, Calgary has done a brilliant job of bringing Monahan along as a teen, Vancouver let the enormously talented Bo Horvat play ten minutes a night in the first half and when he showed he was comfortable they upped his ice time and responsibilities and he was very, very good in the second half.

But yes, more often than not unless you have a patient coach ala Bob Hartley with Monahan it blows up. New Jersey will be pressed for victories, they might ask too much of Zacha and screw him up so it is likely the best move for him. Too bad, I think he is the real deal and was looking forward to seeing him play against men and see what he had.

I've always had the opinion that very rarely does a kid get hurt from being sent back to Junior. Especially a kid like Zacha who only played 40 some games last year, his first in NA. He's the highest drafted forward for the Devils since Bill Guerin, so I'm fine with them being cautious with him. They desperately need him to pan out. Let him go back to the OHL, hopefully dominate down there, and then see where he is next summer.

They have been talking of putting Foligno and Hartnell around Dubinsky,giving them two solid lines. Not certain what I think of that. I agree, Foligno looked like a star playing alongside of Johansen last year.

I heard a lot of people were unhappy with Wennberg as 3rd line center lol. Figured Jenner would get a crack at it with Atkinson/Calvert on his wings. Having 2 power lines is all nice and all, but I can honestly say I would rather have 3 good lines.

Archived