Leafs lose home opener

BluPuk

Lots of positives in the game last night.

Bernier proved once again beyond a doubt that he is NOT ready to be a starting goaltender in the NHL.

The Leafs showed a LOT more grit than I have seen in more than 10 years.

Lots of hustle out there by just about everyone on the team. It will be interesting to see if that keeps up through what will be a looong season.

Leafs could have easily won the game if it wasn't for one person, in particular Carey Price. They had the edge in play by a wide margin.

The Leafs actually looked organized out there - something that was always missing under their last three coaches.

The coach's challenge is a definite hit.

GO LEAFS GO  !!!!!

@BluPuk   Same ol thing with Bernier, he plays relatively well, but let's in that one back breaking goal that really hurts. Unfortunately, he is the best they have,and any switch to Reimer will only provide lost pts.

Agree 100% jammer. I never hear anyone in the media mention it, but the Leafs biggest problem IMHO is goaltending. I never heard Babcock mention it but he HAS to be thinking it.....

@BluPuk   As time goes on, if the Leafs roster is showing they can make a run at a playoff spot, they may trade a key piece to secure a goalie...a Gardiner plus 2nd round pick for a suitable goalie type of thing.

Whoa whoa whoa! Not gonna happen! :o  This team is not going to mortgage the future to have a run at finishing 8th or 9th. They've been doing that sort of thing in the past and it's the reason why they're in this current mess. This is about collecting top draft picks. If the team starts playing well with Bernier, they will trade Bernier for a draft pick and start playing Reimer, just like Buffalo did last year with their goalies. :)

@WordsOfWisdom   I know where you are coming from, but goaltending is the one thing that may cause them to stray from their patience stance. After all, if Bernier is NOT the goalie of the future, you need to secure one.

I hear ya. If Bernier falters, I think they'll start playing their third goalie: Antoine Bibeau.  You only need to secure a #1 goalie when you're ready to contend for a Cup, and the Leafs are at least 3-5 years away from that stage. Once all of the other pieces are in place, and the team is only a goalie away from winning, then I'd grab a top goalie to put the team over the top. Otherwise all you have is an elite goalie and a bunch of rookies surrounding him. That would carry the team back into the murky waters of 9th place finishes where they neither make the playoffs nor get a high draft pick. :(

That would carry the team back into the murky waters of 9th place finishes where they neither make the playoffs nor get a high draft pick. :(

True enough, unless they are gonna contend for real, best to add the goalie at a later date.....any journeyman can get you a lottery pick :)

@WordsOfWisdom

The only problem with the "let's tank and get all top draft picks" strategy is that it doesn't guarantee a contender either!

Case in point - the Oilers.....

You still need a damn good foundation besides. To be honest, I think there is just as much luck involved as skill when it comes to putting together a winning hockey team.

So, cross your fingers??  ;)

@WordsOfWisdom

The only problem with the "let's tank and get all top draft picks" strategy is that it doesn't guarantee a contender either!

Case in point - the Oilers.....

You still need a damn good foundation besides. To be honest, I think there is just as much luck involved as skill when it comes to putting together a winning hockey team.

So, cross your fingers??  ;)

True, but the top 3 picks usually develop into good NHL players. The Oilers are the only team that can't seem to make it work. Every other team that rebuilt through the draft had tremendous success. The Leafs need to start stockpiling those elite picks and hope that they hit on some real winners. With enough top draft picks there will be some that pan out.  :)

Lots of positives in the game last night.

Bernier proved once again beyond a doubt that he is NOT ready to be a starting goaltender in the NHL.

The Leafs showed a LOT more grit than I have seen in more than 10 years.

Lots of hustle out there by just about everyone on the team. It will be interesting to see if that keeps up through what will be a looong season.

Leafs could have easily won the game if it wasn't for one person, in particular Carey Price. They had the edge in play by a wide margin.

The Leafs actually looked organized out there - something that was always missing under their last three coaches.

The coach's challenge is a definite hit.

GO LEAFS GO  !!!!!

BVDAifsIIAAXcZ6.jpg

I know i couldn't resist. Hopefully all the Leafs fans no it's in just good fun...i'm a Flyer fan so it's' not like i have a whole lot to crow about.

Bro, let's put this in proper perspective....the Leafs have not won a playoff round in 12 years!!   In those 12 years, they have missed the playoffs a staggering 11 times.....the last series win they had was in 2003, against the Sens, the same year J.R showed them who was boss. They have not one a playoff series since J.R scored that OT goal to end their season. Through all the losses, they have not one superstar to show for all the losing...horrid drafting (not counting Nylander and Marner, they are not there yet)

When you are *THAT* bad, you gotta expect some good natured teasing!

the same year J.R showed them who was boss.

Oh i know i remember the same series he showed Rico who was boss too missing on a check and putting him out for the playoffs on an already decimated blueline...

200.gif

....i remember oh to fondly man i'm old!!!

@OccamsRazor   Are you sure that was not the Bolts Conference finals when we lost all the d-men and Primeau was unstoppable?

No it was the same year but JR took Rico out in the Leafs series before the conference finals. To add to it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1711412

Thanks Jr. the last time the Leafs seen the playoffs. Leafs beat the Sens to get there.

Bro, let's put this in proper perspective....the Leafs have not won a playoff round in 12 years!!   In those 12 years, they have missed the playoffs a staggering 11 times.....the last series win they had was in 2003, against the Sens, the same year J.R showed them who was boss. They have not one a playoff series since J.R scored that OT goal to end their season. Through all the losses, they have not one superstar to show for all the losing...horrid drafting (not counting Nylander and Marner, they are not there yet)

When you are *THAT* bad, you gotta expect some good natured teasing!

Or in statistical parlance, it would be written:

P(E) = 0.00000000000000004% 

...where event E is "missing the playoffs 11 times in 12 years".

(That's not the actual number but it's akin to winning the lottery.)   :)

Or in statistical parlance, it would be written:

P(E) = 0.00000000000000004% 

...where event E is "missing the playoffs 11 times in 12 years".

(That's not the actual number but it's akin to winning the lottery.)   :)

@WordsOfWisdom  HA....I'd probably be able to speak fluent Chinese before I could understand *any* of that numerical entity!

@WordsOfWisdom  HA....I'd probably be able to speak fluent Chinese before I could understand *any* of that numerical entity!

It's basically the same odds as you tossing a coin and having it land as heads 1 time in 12 tosses. Try it!  :cool[1]:

(NOTE: You will never be able to achieve such an outcome because the odds are actually that low.)

I just conducted the experiment here and I got 7 heads in 12 tosses. :)

Archived