The Curious Case of Medvedev's Benching

Bakanekimiwa

According to Carcheesy, Medvedev will be a healthy scratch this evening. While this is highly curious to the 'eye test', I thought I'd look over some of the advanced stats of the Flyer's D corp to maybe gain some insight as to why Medbedebby would be scratched. 

Nothing stood out. In fact, looking at all of them just makes it a bit more curious why he would be sat over just about anyone else on the D. 

Speculation is what we do here... sooo... what do? Are they concerned about his ice time being in his first NHL season? Are they concerned that we're not going to give the Canucks enough chances this evening? Has anyone heard anything?

His ice time is 3rd of Flyer's D and his corsi is not remarkably bad or good. Strangely, Luke Schenn has the best corsi on the D, but the season is young. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Carcheesy, Medvedev will be a healthy scratch this evening. While this is highly curious to the 'eye test', I thought I'd look over some of the advanced stats of the Flyer's D corp to maybe gain some insight as to why Medbedebby would be scratched. 

Nothing stood out. In fact, looking at all of them just makes it a bit more curious why he would be sat over just about anyone else on the D. 

Speculation is what we do here... sooo... what do? Are they concerned about his ice time being in his first NHL season? Are they concerned that we're not going to give the Canucks enough chances this evening? Has anyone heard anything?

His ice time is 3rd of Flyer's D and his corsi is not remarkably bad or good. Strangely, Luke Schenn has the best corsi on the D, but the season is young. 

I don't know how he is being sat over Schultz that is for sure.

@Bakanekimiwa

do we know who is starting in his place?  i was thinking over the last couple weeks, hakstol not only has extremely limited NHL experience, but extremely limited experience with the members of this team, nevermind their depth.  (such as it is.)  i was wondering if he might start just straight up testing things to see how they look.  and handful of pre-season games only goes so far.  so, i wonder if it is less medvedev, and more getting eyes on some other guys, just to know what the team's assets look like at game speed.

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull  37m37 minutes ago
Asked if the size of an NHL rink was affecting his play, Medvedev said, "No." He pointed to his head. "Only here," he said, smiling

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull  32m32 minutes ago
Medvedev said he wasn't surprised he was told he wasn't playing tonight. "Last game, not good," he said of his performance vs. Buffalo

Wow he wasn't the only one for sure.

This brings me flash back of Chief scratching MDZ and yet letting Coburn go on a tear of racking up a minus in 12 straight games while looking inept!

It only works when you hold everyone accountable!!!

@Bakanekimiwa

do we know who is starting in his place?  i was thinking over the last couple weeks, hakstol not only has extremely limited NHL experience, but extremely limited experience with the members of this team, nevermind their depth.  (such as it is.)  i was wondering if he might start just straight up testing things to see how they look.  and handful of pre-season games only goes so far.  so, i wonder if it is less medvedev, and more getting eyes on some other guys, just to know what the team's assets look like at game speed.

I guess Manning would be playing in his place.

Dear God against one of the best PK units in the NHL this year. AND Vinny is playing....can you say blow out loss!!!!

@Bakanekimiwa

I have not heard who's in his place, but for me, it's gonna be a downgrade regardless. I understand that he might have had a bad game last time out, but so did everyone else. This move is a little bit too much ala Berube for my liking, but I'm willing to reserve judgment and see what's what. I like some of the little things Hakstol has done early on in the season, so I'm cautiously optimistic. 

I guess Manning would be playing in his place.

Dear God against one of the best PK units in the NHL this year. AND Vinny is playing....can you say blow out loss!!!!

One could make the case that Manning has been the WORST D on the team this season. However, Nick Schultz makes that argument a little difficult. I'm guessing they're both playing tonight? 

One could make the case that Manning has been the WORST D on the team this season. However, Nick Schultz makes that argument a little difficult. I'm guessing they're both playing tonight? 

By all accounts, they are...

Looking like

Schenn-Schultz

Manning-Gudas

That i why Rad and i had said we would have already waived him several games ago....get it over with he is just a career ALHer at best.

That i why Rad and i had said we would have already waived him several games ago....get it over with he is just a career ALHer at best.

remember when there were people who were absolutely positive he would be a norris candidate dman?

edit:  and no, bak, i didn't predict that.  

It's why the phrase (and i don't know who coined it) but it fit best here like never before...

"Just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic!!!" 

remember when there were people who were absolutely positive he would be a norris candidate dman?

Is this a joke? And who are we talking about now i'm confused. I can't remember anyone here saying that about anyone on the Flyer's blueline.

So it must be a joke.....right?

Is this a joke? And who are we talking about now i'm confused. I can't remember anyone here saying that about anyone on the Flyer's blueline.

So it must be a joke.....right?

nope, no joke.  the history search on this forum is...limited, but it happened, and vigorously.

Which defenseman were they saying that about?

manning.  at the time, there was no roster space for him, he'd been called up for a few games, but couldn't stick.  the idea was that he just wasn't getting the chance he needed, and his mobility and awareness had him on a shortlist of top dmen in the league, if only he were given the roster spot to prove it.

Archived