Tyler Bertuzzi, like Unlcle like Nephew

yave1964

When Tylers-l225.jpgBertuzzi was a surprise early round pick by the Wings a few years ago a reporter asked him to compare his game to his Uncle who was winding down his career as a nasty bit of work with the Wings. Tyler grinned. 

"I play a lot like my uncle," he said with a grin "only meaner."

Ask Kasperi Kapanen. He will agree.

A few nights ago against the Marlies Bertuzzi was fed up with the teams poor play as they were losing late 6-1 in yet another loss for the team that seems out of sync to start the years. Kapanen had been strutting around the ice all night, taking liberties with his stick against more than one Griffin shin and then skating behind a ref. This time Bertuzzi grabbed him as a scrum broke out, a pushing and shoving match. But Bertuzzi wanted to fight, to spark his mates and to tell Kapanen to cool it with the showboating.

He spun Kapanen like a rag doll, who kept his arms at his sides, wanting no part of fighting Bertuzzi, the refs watched this going on as other scrums were breaking out, mostly pushing and shoving, Bertuzzi continued to try to get http://fat.gfycat.com/SoupyThornyIcefish.webmKapanen to drop the gloves, to no avail.

Then he slew foot him, putting his leg behind Kapanen and pulling forward, Kapanen hitting his head on the ice and Bertuzzi receiving a match penalty and a two game suspension.

Like his Uncle. But meaner.

Any word of son of Sami suffered an injury?

Supposed to be doing fine, hit his head on the ice so it could have been much worse.

Heh. Son of Sammi. I like it. Way to coin a phrase.

Supposed to be doing fine, hit his head on the ice so it could have been much worse.

Heh. Son of Sammi. I like it. Way to coin a phrase.

@yave1964 - Son of Sami™ :D

Hopefully Kasperi is fine. I expect to seem him up with the Leafs before the end of the year. Grand Rapids doesn't play the Amerks in Rochester until April so I will have to wait until then to give Bertuzzi an ear full, unless he's in jail or out of the A by then.

I'm not what this post means. Do you mean Kasperi should have fought?

No, sorry. I'm just referring to the attitude around a tough kid. I like tough - not dirty, tough.

Too much prancing and posturing in the league these days - dipsy doodling and diving. No one dove in the NHL at one time. 

Or, maybe I'm just a crusty old fart??? Yah, that's it... :unsure[1]:

No, sorry. I'm just referring to the attitude around a tough kid. I like tough - not dirty, tough.

Too much prancing and posturing in the league these days - dipsy doodling and diving. No one dove in the NHL at one time. 

Or, maybe I'm just a crusty old fart??? Yah, that's it... :unsure[1]:

Well crusty old fart, diving has always been a part of the game, Ken Dryden in his Hockey book The Game talks about Stevie Shutt could not get a call because he dove so much that if the ref seen him flat on the ice they simply thought he flung himself there (paraphrase). The difference is now everyone does it.

As a couple of old codgers, you may agree or not but what I hate is all the scrums after a whistle that amount to nothing. All this posturing is a bunch of crap.

Oh, I getcha. If you don't have the skill to compete, you can leave or make it "another way", lots of guys have.

you may agree or not but what I hate is all the scrums after a whistle that amount to nothing. All this posturing is a bunch of crap.

Pathetic and embarrassing is how I would describe all of that but that's society in general nowadays. It isn't what you do, it's how you "act"... without even backing it up.

When Tylers-l225.jpgBertuzzi was a surprise early round pick by the Wings a few years ago a reporter asked him to compare his game to his Uncle who was winding down his career as a nasty bit of work with the Wings. Tyler grinned. 

"I play a lot like my uncle," he said with a grin "only meaner."

Ask Kasperi Kapanen. He will agree.

A few nights ago against the Marlies Bertuzzi was fed up with the teams poor play as they were losing late 6-1 in yet another loss for the team that seems out of sync to start the years. Kapanen had been strutting around the ice all night, taking liberties with his stick against more than one Griffin shin and then skating behind a ref. This time Bertuzzi grabbed him as a scrum broke out, a pushing and shoving match. But Bertuzzi wanted to fight, to spark his mates and to tell Kapanen to cool it with the showboating.

He spun Kapanen like a rag doll, who kept his arms at his sides, wanting no part of fighting Bertuzzi, the refs watched this going on as other scrums were breaking out, mostly pushing and shoving, Bertuzzi continued to try to get http://fat.gfycat.com/SoupyThornyIcefish.webmKapanen to drop the gloves, to no avail.

Then he slew foot him, putting his leg behind Kapanen and pulling forward, Kapanen hitting his head on the ice and Bertuzzi receiving a match penalty and a two game suspension.

Like his Uncle. But meaner.

So Kapenen was being a dick, taking liberties slashing players and then running behind the ref in a 6-1 blowout? And Bertuzzi got fed up with him ala Neely vs Claude Lemieux and taught him a lesson?

I don't see the problem. I cheered when Neely repeatedly bashed Lemieux's face to the ice while he turtled and then dragged him over to the boards and threw him into them. He not only deserved it, but Neely deserved praise for it(Granted Lemieux was intentionally trying to high stick him in the eye like he always did with people, so its a bit worse). If Bertuzzi had dropped his gloves first and started punching rapid fire, I would support that too. If Kapanen tries that at NHL level, it will get him a much worse deserved result.

Edit: Okay, I just saw the slew foot. yeah, that's overboard. Never throw someone on their head in the game, helmet or not.

SoupyThornyIcefish.0.gif

He should have just started throwing bombs instead of those little jabs ad I would have been okay with it.

Archived