How the NHL Tried to Screw Fans, John Scott

radoran

5 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I don't mind if the fans have a vote, but it should be from a validated list by the NHL.  The list should also be based upon 2016's fall stats too, and not just a list based upon who they'd like to see in the All Star Game.

This!  Totally agree.  Fans come to the games and fans should be able to vote one player, BUT as you said perfectly...it should come from a list validated by the league AND is shuol dbe based on the current years stats.  And for the love of god can we just go back to Western Conference vs Eastern Conference.  I'm done with all the gimmicks the league has tried to instill.  Also bring back the young guns game.  I always enjoyed seeing the top young players play.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll probably just give voters 3-4 options from each team next year. Or maybe weight the voting so the fans can vote for whoever they want, but it only counts for a certain percentage of the vote.

The Scott thing was good because it played out perfectly. He had the right kind of attitude embracing it, he carried himself very well, his team won, and he scored 2 goals. It was the storybook ending I think many of the fans voting for Scott were hoping for. It's the perfect way to end this type of fan voting campaign.

Now we can go back to a bunch of millionaires not caring.:lol:

I may be alone in this, but I thoroughly enjoyed this ASG format. (Not the skills competition, though I watched it.) And just LOVED the fact that John Scott scored twice and ended up getting voted MVP. Loved watching Bettman grit his teeth as he handed him that big check!

But my favorite moment of the ASG coverage just may have been when Jeremy Roenick interviewed Scott after everything was all over. JR, to his credit, admitted publicly that he had been highly critical of John Scott's selection to the game, and to Scott's credit, he played the professional when he had every right to say, "Screw you and your commentary!" He continued to have fun with it, and probably only dropped the gloves with his inside voice there. The discomfort on JR's face was great! I at least give JR credit for having the stones to do the interview and telling John to his face that he had been critical of all of this. Couldn't have gone better for Scott.

I also thoroughly enjoyed watching some of the best goaltenders show their skills in those games. Luongo put on a freaking clinic!! Quick was also great. Gibson made a FANTASTIC cross-crease pad save. ROBBERY AT ITS FINEST! Can't remember seeing such a display of goaltending in an ASG ever before. Worth the watch.

I liked this year's ASG very much. They will try to do it again next year, but without the Scott thing, there won't be as much hoopla, or as much reason to cheer. I couldn't help but cheer for the guy. I would argue that this format is the best thing the NHL has done for this game in decades.

Archived