How the NHL Tried to Screw Fans, John Scott

radoran

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/1/16/10777618/john-scott-all-star-game-trade-coyotes-nhl-canadiens-wife-kids

Scott was traded to the Montreal Canadiens, who immediately stashed him in the AHL and said they weren't going to call him back up. He's ineligible for the All-Star Game now. And everything about it was so transparent.

John Scott was previously asked by both NHL and Arizona Coyotes to bow out of NHL All-Star Game. He refused. Trade likely takes care of that

I, for one, don't particularly like John Scott. I don't think players of his type are necessary for the game.

But, I'll tell you this, I like John Scott infinitely more than the douchebags and asshats running this league.

And while I wasn't particularly predisposed to watch this travesty of an "All Star Game" - there's no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks I'm watching it now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, radoran said:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/1/16/10777618/john-scott-all-star-game-trade-coyotes-nhl-canadiens-wife-kids

I, for one, don't particularly like John Scott. I don't think players of his type are necessary for the game.

But, I'll tell you this, I like John Scott infinitely more than the douchebags and asshats running this league.

And while I wasn't particularly predisposed to watch this travesty of an "All Star Game" - there's no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks I'm watching it now.

This is an example of the backstage politics that goes on in the NHL. Why doesn't the NHL focus on getting all the elite players that voluntarily skip the game to actually show up? I'm sure the NHL was planning this for some time.

This is a case of the league sticking it to the fans for the fans sticking it to them. All NHL fans should boycott the ASG at this point. It's a matter of principle. They give fans a vote, and then they don't honor the vote if they're not happy with the results. That's BS. :mad:

This is wrong on so many levels. First, the NHL made a big deal out of saying that if he was voted in, he'd play. Now, they have conveniently found a way around that. So, they're sticking it to the fans.

But more importantly, they're sticking it to Scott who is at no fault whatsoever in this. Yeah, he laughed it off at first, but when it dawned on him that he was going to have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to play in the all-star game, he was understandably excited. Plus, his wife is expecting twins, and if his team won, he could get $1 million? Yeah, of course he's going to go for that.

I for one hope this all-star game gets the worst TV ratings ever. I already decided to personally boycott it over the stupid format, and this just turns me off from it even more.

Edit: Let me add this: Gary Bettman is toying around with a human being. John Scott is a person, not a mindless entertainment machine. It's as simple as that. As low as my opinion of Bettman was already, it has dropped greatly after this incident.

15 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@ScottM

Awesome post my friend. Pretty much sums up my entire thoughts on the subject.  I really can't add much more to this except that Scott never asked for any of this. He truly is the victim in all of this.

And it's not like this whole thing came out of the blue and the NHL couldn't anticipate it.

#voteforrory was a thing after all and Latvia voted Girgensons in.

The fact that they obviously conspired with two teams to force a trade and make this happen is simply disgusting.

Good post, @ScottM

I will add, though, that if this fiasco (and it is, make no mistake) isn't about as red a flag as you can get regarding the state of the so-called All Star Game, then I don't know what it will take for the league to realize that this once proud event is nothing more than giant, polka-dot wearing FARCE.

I'm a fan, I like to vote on stuff...but if taking away my vote means the true All Stars get in, then so be it.

I mean, between nonsensical votes, toying around with a man's emotions (as ScottM well put it), and THEN having superstar players decide they "don't wanna show up'....really, how bad does this make the league look when its star showcase game is being treated like a money grabbing afterthought?

As for fans who feel 'shafted' over this? I honestly don't feel sorry for those people who were "in" on the John Scott joke.

NHL Network's EJ Hradek ranted about this the other night, I will paraphrase, but basically he was saying...

"Oh yea, I bet there were thousands upon thousands of people staying up to the wee hours of the night clicking on their computers to make this happen....but really....don't you guys have better things to do with your time than that?"

It was a pretty good rant on the subject of farce fan votes for the ASG, and I couldn't agree with it more.

I don't get "blaming the fans" here.

You don't want John Scott? Don't make him eligible. The MLB fan choice is from a limited numbers of players. 

The fans voted for their choice. Jerks. Why don't they vote the way they are told?

The NHL courted this for years and blew it. IMO it's 1000% on the league.

The thing I don't get is the amount of people who are suddenly taking the All-Star game seriously. Fans have been bitching for years that the game is a joke, nobody cares, nobody watches, etc. But then John Scott gets voted in and suddenly we're worried about the integrity of the game? Give me a break.

Yes, it was a joke vote. But I don't think it was for nefarious purposes like some apparently do. It was just meant as a good natured joke, but then some people took it too seriously and it snowballed.

The fact is, John Scott was voted in by the fans and the NHL said they would honor the vote. Now, two weeks before the game he's traded, giving the league an easy out. If that's not suspicious, I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I don't get "blaming the fans" here.

You don't want John Scott? Don't make him eligible. The MLB fan choice is from a limited numbers of players. 

The fans voted for their choice. Jerks. Why don't they vote the way they are told?

The NHL courted this for years and blew it. IMO it's 1000% on the league.

There is also precedent here. Bettman put Hunter in the ASG once. So only Bettman gets to add enforcers to the ASG if he wants to, not the fans. 

In all honesty, I would have watched the ASG just to see how Scott played. I would have wanted to see him steam-roll some players. It would have added the only shred of intrigue left in the ASG. :ermm:

It's a sham really. John Scott should get himself a real good shyster lawyer and go after the NHL's ass. He would get a ton of fan support.

And while all this goes on, the game itself is circling the drain.....:(

16 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

Fans that voted him in with intent of seeing ``how funny it would be`` is equally disgusting.

The thing is, it's supposedly the fans' choice, and if the league makes everyone available to vote for, I see nothing wrong with it. I see nothing malicious, unlike the actions of Bettman and the league. If anything, the fans gave him a huge opportunity with that $1 million on the line. 

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Just saw on my phone that Scott is now gonna be captain of Pacific Division team at All Star game.

I just saw that and was about to post it. I'm guessing they felt the pressure. At least they ended up doing the right thing.

19 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I'm guessing they felt the pressure. At least they ended up got the letter from the NHLPA lawyers saying "you might want to be doing the right thing.

I never thought of that. It explains why Scott was so nervous during his interview on PrimeTime Sports the other day. He said he couldn't get into the details of what happened. That tells me it involved litigation. His lawyers probably told him to keep silent while they resolved the issue.

Podein, you are on the ball as usual. I think that's exactly what happened. :)

19 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I never thought of that. It explains why Scott was so nervous during his interview on PrimeTime Sports the other day. He said he couldn't get into the details of what happened. That tells me it involved litigation. His lawyers probably told him to keep silent while they resolved the issue.

Podein, you are on the ball as usual. I think that's exactly what happened. :)

And now we have Gary out there saying "this is what was always going to happen"

Well, not if you watched anyone before it happened.

Clearly Arizona was trying to get him off the squad (probably embarassed for signing him in the first place).  And every report had it as him being asked to step down from the ASG.

And then Bettman comes out and pulls the rug out from under all the people who were desperately trying to explain how this was the Only Decision that could have happened and it was Right and Good.

Asshats and douchebags. All of them. Doing their best to ruin a great sport that continues to be popular in spite of them.

Archived