Game today vs CBJ

6 hours ago, Old School Hockey said:

Would be an over statement to say the tonight is beyond a must win?

A loss tonight could likely be the end of the season.

Must win indeed.

A pet peeve that I have with Blashills coaching if I may.

He seems to be in love with Glendening to where it is close to wrecking our season. Now look, I love Glendening as well as the next guy, not the most talent but lots of heart and a big motor, but not a ton of skill. Blash has fallen in love with him to where he is playing up and down the lines and taking the most defensive faceoffs on the team.

Against Philadelphia is a great synopsis of what Glendening has turned into. He took 19 faceoffs, mostly in the defensive zone and lost an alarming 13 of them to go along with a minus 2. On the year he has 4 goals and 12 assists, not bad for a 10 minute a night 4th liner but not for a guy who is now playing 15 minutes a night in all situations.

Instead Andreas Athasasiou who is getting 7 freaking minutes a night needs to play middle six minutes, 13-15 a night, period. Put Glendening back where he belongs. Give the skilled player who is also responsible defensively 14-15 a night and be done.

It reminds me of when Dave Lewis took over for Scotty and Fell in love with Draper. Now I love Draper too but Lewis went crazy with him, using him in all the wrong situations and it cost us at least one playoff run. 4th liners are 4th liners. There is no shame in that role, hell the grind line is one of the more famous lines in the games history.

I am serious, if Glendening continues to get 15 minutes a night it is one of those little subtle unnoticed things that will cost us a playoff chance. That is not a rip on Luke, it is a rip on how he is being handled.

@Old School Hockey @yave1964

It's the "playoffs to get to the playoffs" that the Red Wings have been dealing with the last few seasons.  Now with the loss to Philly, it's much more of a dire circumstance.  Philly is one point ahead of Detroit but with a game in hand.  EVERY game is a must-win from this point forward.  However, whatever the reason is, I fear it is too late for our boys, and the streak will come to an end just shy of the quarter century mark.  It's been fun, but now we look forward to a higher first round pick (unless I am mistaken or did Holland trade that away?)

1 minute ago, WingNut722 said:

@Old School Hockey @yave1964

It's the "playoffs to get to the playoffs" that the Red Wings have been dealing with the last few seasons.  Now with the loss to Philly, it's much more of a dire circumstance.  Philly is one point ahead of Detroit but with a game in hand.  EVERY game is a must-win from this point forward.  However, whatever the reason is, I fear it is too late for our boys, and the streak will come to an end just shy of the quarter century mark.  It's been fun, but now we look forward to a higher first round pick (unless I am mistaken or did Holland trade that away?)

In my opinion Philly is looking at the DRW in the rearview mirror, but Pittsburgh is catchable.  They play Philly 3x and the DRW play Pitt one more time.

Just now, Old School Hockey said:

but Pittsburgh is catchable.  They play Philly 3x and the DRW play Pitt one more time.

That's a great big IF.  A lot rides on the Pens' level of play without Malkin, but this is not the first time they've played in his extended absence.  They are 3 points ahead, with a game in hand.  And with so many games being decided beyond regulation, those "loser points" are going to count big time down the stretch.

1 minute ago, WingNut722 said:

That's a great big IF.  A lot rides on the Pens' level of play without Malkin, but this is not the first time they've played in his extended absence.  They are 3 points ahead, with a game in hand.  And with so many games being decided beyond regulation, those "loser points" are going to count big time down the stretch.

Oh i here you.  But it's my opinion Philly will not fall.  And the 3 games Philly/Pens are HUGE, but hopefully no 3 point games.  With all of that said if the DRW don't take care of their own business it's all moot.

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Must win indeed.

A pet peeve that I have with Blashills coaching if I may.

He seems to be in love with Glendening to where it is close to wrecking our season. Now look, I love Glendening as well as the next guy, not the most talent but lots of heart and a big motor, but not a ton of skill. Blash has fallen in love with him to where he is playing up and down the lines and taking the most defensive faceoffs on the team.

Against Philadelphia is a great synopsis of what Glendening has turned into. He took 19 faceoffs, mostly in the defensive zone and lost an alarming 13 of them to go along with a minus 2. On the year he has 4 goals and 12 assists, not bad for a 10 minute a night 4th liner but not for a guy who is now playing 15 minutes a night in all situations.

Instead Andreas Athasasiou who is getting 7 freaking minutes a night needs to play middle six minutes, 13-15 a night, period. Put Glendening back where he belongs. Give the skilled player who is also responsible defensively 14-15 a night and be done.

It reminds me of when Dave Lewis took over for Scotty and Fell in love with Draper. Now I love Draper too but Lewis went crazy with him, using him in all the wrong situations and it cost us at least one playoff run. 4th liners are 4th liners. There is no shame in that role, hell the grind line is one of the more famous lines in the games history.

I am serious, if Glendening continues to get 15 minutes a night it is one of those little subtle unnoticed things that will cost us a playoff chance. That is not a rip on Luke, it is a rip on how he is being handled.

How ironic that Glendening scored the first goal of this game!

Any other brilliant suggestions @yave1964?

?

37 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

How ironic that Glendening scored the first goal of this game!

Any other brilliant suggestions @yave1964?

?

lol, didn't say we shouldn't play him just playing him too much in the wrong situations. Glad to see him score, his first in like 22 games. I would still cut into his ice time and give it to AA who is barely on the ice most nights.

6 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

lol, didn't say we shouldn't play him just playing him too much in the wrong situations. Glad to see him score, his first in like 22 games. I would still cut into his ice time and give it to AA who is barely on the ice most nights.

I was just giving you crap! I agree with your recommendations, but because you said it and I didn't, I'll let you be the one that looks stupid this time. Usually, it's me!

Actually, for me, I've got more FOR AA than I do against Glendening. AA should be getting more ice time, period. If Glendening is the one whose time gets cut, fine. If it's someone else, that's fine too, within reason. Glendening is as good a candidate as anyone to yield ice time.

But you have to love the irony of the timing of that goal to your comments.

Archived