Couturier is done for the Series

hf101

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

The thing is even if he were going to try and avoid a hit... Well, that is usually the entire point...   You have usually try and avoid a hit if possible.  Let's not pretend to think Ovie is a ***** either.   The guy is probably one of the most solid bodies in the NHL.

Cooter's choices there are: i) not make the pass, which puts him in a better position to take the hit, but also risks turning the puck over, or: ii) pull-up and stop skating, reverse the play or otherwise buy some time. This option comes with risk too, not a good place to turn it over. Or: iii) pass/move the puck, which exposes himself to the hit more (because it opens your body up). He chooses option iii) because it is the safest thing to do. Lousy hockey player.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Cooter's choices there are: i) not make the pass, which puts him in a better position to take the hit, but also risks turning the puck over, or: ii) pull-up and stop skating, reverse the play or otherwise buy some time. This option comes with risk too, not a good place to turn it over. Or: iii) pass/move the puck, which exposes himself to the hit more (because it opens your body up). He chooses option iii) because it is the safest thing to do. Lousy hockey player.

:bow:you hit is on the head there Pods!

I was thinking the same thing.  I think it is laughable that a guy takes a hit to make the right play and people blast him.  As someone who played, still does and Coaches the kid is exactly what you want on a Team.  Look, I like Couts and think he is a very smart player.  He could use some work on his skating but I love how he plays the game - the kid thinks the game and is always in very good position.  I honestly don't get the hate for him.  He is the least of our issues and if he is not scoring he is still playing great defense.

Let's see how this Team does without him in the lineup the rest of the series...   bring our the brooms b/c there is not another player on this roster that can match up with Ovie and his line-mates.   

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

by no surprise as he lacks leg and core strength.

and how the hell do you know what his core and leg strength are?   and for some reason I feel creeped out that you are inspecting his core.   Just because someone fell doe not mean he is not strong... Ovie could crush more than 95% of the players in the league.  Be luck it was not Gost. sorry @hf101 but you are off your rocker with this one.  Sounds like you have a personal vendetta against the guy.  Are you and @icehole really the same person?

2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

I think Couts is a good player and he is a defensive gem... with that said I can't wait for him to be traded so I don't have to read this garbage anymore.

Yep...then we can read about him winning a cup with the next team he goes too..........

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, I'm going to stop you there.

What you are describing is a good hockey player, the kind you win with. His positioning is often perfect. The entire purpose is puck possession and mitigating risk (because he is playing against Ovie and Backstrom). Are you suggesting he should play more like Jordan Eberle and avoid that situation altogether, do a drive-by, because you know he might actually get hit by Ovechkin?

Honest to god, people who have never played hockey should sometimes just shut it. 

he didn't do anything wrong on the hit he took from ovechkin, and i never said he did.  if you would read before the hyperventilating.  he made a pass, was immediately rubbed out, and fell on his shoulder awkwardly.  he made the play fine, was unlucky with how he fell.

i was speaking more generally.  what i described was a player that generally opts against getting in the middle of scrums and whose challenging on loose pucks is often non-committal to the point of useless.  if that is what you call a good hockey player, the kind you win with, then cool.  we have some very different definitions of those terms.  i don't think he or his play are problems on any particular level --he gets an important job done, and done better than most-- but he certainly has less on-ice impact than he would if he were more aggressive in 50-50 situations or more prone to use his shoulders rather than his stick along the walls.  which is the opposite of the conclusion you somehow drew from my previous post.  couturier too often does drive-bys, especially on contested pucks.  i don't want him to play more like eberle, i want him to play less like eberle.

i'm pretty good and tired of you dismissing people as uninformed whenever they have the nerve to voice an opinion that doesn't match yours.  you don't tell them they are wrong, you lambaste and condescend them like it is both your job and favorite activity.  i am not entirely sure why the powers-that-be on this site are so very ok with this, especially when you just sent a handful of it straight at the site's owner, but it is *very* old at this point.  

we understand that you think knowing how to tape up your shinpads makes you an expert on hockey at the NHL level.  we understand that you feel having no first hand knowledge of climbing over the boards removes all validity in a person's point of view or opinion on the game of hockey in general.  we get it.  we think it is a pathetic pretend trump card you feel an active need to play, but we get it.  now stfu about it.

5 minutes ago, aziz said:

and lastly, a big eff-u to your arrogant bullshit.  i'm pretty good and tired of you dismissing people as uninformed whenever they have the nerve to voice an opinion that doesn't match yours.  you don't tell them they are wrong, you lambaste and condescend them like it is both your job and favorite activity.  i am not entirely sure why the powers-that-be on this site are so very ok with this, especially when you just sent a handful of it straight at the site's owner, but it is *very* old at this point.  

and you really think this was not originally posted to start anything?

Come on aziz, we have all been through this discussion more than enough.   It is nothing more than hating on a player.

and now you are saying he borders on "useless"... lol!

3 minutes ago, aziz said:

what i described was a player that generally opts against getting in the middle of scrums and whose challenging on loose pucks is often non-committal to the point of useless.

And you think this applies to Sean Couturier? Wow, you should get some glasses or watch some hockey.

@murraycraven

I might be an arrogant piece of ****, but I know my hockey. But I also don't think posters should be censored, as @aziz suggests there. He thinks that the owners of the site should stop me from saying I've played some hockey. Wow. Just wow. That will be the last day I visit this site. 

Not a fan of free speech I guess. And yet an American. Go figure.

3 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

and you really think this was not originally posted to start anything?

Come on aziz, we have all been through this discussion more than enough.   It is nothing more than hating on a player.

because HF has such a history as a ****-stirrer?  i kinda think he posted what he thought of the player, and i see similar things.  it isn't hating on the player, i like couturier, but he is flawed.  his skating is not going to improve, but his puck-pressure, especially in the neutral zone, is inconsistent and at times downright weak.  he can work on that, and i hope he does.

not thinking this kid is completely perfect aside from foot speed is not hating on him.  

your edit didn't come through in the quote, but i don't think he is useless.  i didn't say that.  i said the pressure he applies " is often non-committal to the point of useless."  waving your stick at a 50-50 puck rather than diving in and fighting for it is....often useless.  no?

1 minute ago, aziz said:

because HF has such a history as a ****-stirrer?  i kinda think he posted what he thought of the player, and i see similar things.  it isn't hating on the player, i like couturier, but he is flawed.  his skating is not going to improve, but his puck-pressure, especially in the neutral zone, is inconsistent and at times downright weak.  he can work on that, and i hope he does.

not thinking this kid is completely perfect aside from foot speed is not hating on him.  

your edit didn't come through in the quote, but i don't think he is useless.  i didn't say that.  i said the pressure he applies " is often non-committal to the point of useless."  waving your stick at a 50-50 puck rather than diving in and fighting for it is....often useless.  no?

every player in the world is flawed... every single one of them.  And yes, I do believe this was supposed to stir the shitpot honestly.   How many posts have been locked b/c of this very topic?  Oh,and if I recall hf was the last one to lock the thread he started on the same exact topic.   

13 minutes ago, aziz said:

you don't tell them they are wrong,

This, by the way, is simply untrue. For example, you are wrong. You are wrong about Couturier being "useless" and you are wrong about so much when it comes to hockey. You are entitled to your opinion, but your're still wrong. I even tell people why they are wrong and it's often because they haven't played the game. That, my thin-skinned friend, is just a simple fact.

Hugs :heart:

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

@murraycraven

I might be an arrogant piece of ****, but I know my hockey. But I also don't think posters should be censored, as @aziz suggests there. He thinks that the owners of the site should stop me from saying I've played some hockey. Wow. Just wow. That will be the last day I visit this site. 

well, that is the America of today pods:drool:

The crying idiocy of Trump has ruined America!  LOL...

I think having played hockey brings a different insight to the game honestly.   

Just now, murraycraven said:

well, that is the America of today pods:drool:

Its' appalling. I can't believe that he just criticized the Mods and the owner for not censoring me on this matter. Like I've personally attacked someone for their race or creed or sexual orientation or something. I do more damage to my own reputation by behaving like I do. It's quite unbelievable. 

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

@murraycraven

lol.  hyperventilating and hyperbole all in the same package.  you are a piece of work, pods.

i don't think anyone should stop you from saying you've played some hockey.  i am surprised that no one has said anything to you about telling fellow posters their opinions count for nothing and shouldn't be posted.  i can take it, HF can take it, the other long time posters you are better than can take it.  new members probably can't, though.  or won't.  i'm not demanding anything, just surprised your persistent denigration of non-podein-devotees hasn't elicited a reaction.

Just now, aziz said:

new members probably can't, though.

I wouldn't behave like this with newer members. I reserve these comments exclusively for Flyer fans, some of whom I've known online for years now. Flyer fans who should get out of their basements a bit more.

1 minute ago, aziz said:

lol.  hyperventilating and hyperbole all in the same package.  you are a piece of work, pods.

i don't think anyone should stop you from saying you've played some hockey.  i am surprised that no one has said anything to you about telling fellow posters their opinions count for nothing and shouldn't be posted.  i can take it, HF can take it, the other long time posters you are better than can take it.  new members probably can't, though.  or won't.  i'm not demanding anything, just surprised your persistent denigration of non-podein-devotees hasn't elicited a reaction.

so now you want to ban us from the site for our opinion?   Wow, maybe the Trump thing was correct.

if that is the case... ban me for my opinion...

The officiating freaking blew last night to be honest. I know bad call are part of the game but damn they looked to other way at times when it was for the Caps. So many penalties.

Lets face it guys it is a miracle that we made it to the playoffs but let us be honest. Let us call it for what it is this is a learning experience not a push to win the cup this year. A learning experience for one person mainly and that is Hakstol.

I hate the Caps and there dumba$$ fan base but they are a big bad ass team this year what better learning experience for Hakstol, Ghost, etc...and the rest of this team of ours for the future?

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

so now you want to ban us from the site for our opinion?   Wow, maybe the Trump thing was correct.

if that is the case... ban me for my opinion...

???

if someone's opinion is that couturier is not great in some situations, podein comes flying in from out of the blue to tell them what they said was the stupidest thing ever, and if they haven't played hockey, they should shut up.  and who said anything about banning?  the admins here have been quick to lock threads that get out of hand, have edited posts that have crossed lines, have even removed members that refused to stay within some rather broad lines.  so it does surprise me that podein's continuously announced superiority and aggressive dismissal of fellow posters hasn't been met with a PM going, "dude, you really don't have to be such a complete dick, really".

1 hour ago, aziz said:

???

if someone's opinion is that couturier is not great in some situations, podein comes flying in from out of the blue to tell them what they said was the stupidest thing ever, and if they haven't played hockey, they should shut up.  and who said anything about banning?  the admins here have been quick to lock threads that get out of hand, have edited posts that have crossed lines, have even removed members that refused to stay within some rather broad lines.  so it does surprise me that podein's continuously announced superiority and aggressive dismissal of fellow posters hasn't been met with a PM going, "dude, you really don't have to be such a complete dick, really".

well, if you look at the entire post I would say that you were out of order to be frank.  I believe the played hockey thing was out of frustration b/c if you played hockey or coached hockey you would know that Couts made the best play available there and he was not "floating."  

Pods merely said he "was going to stop you" and then your retort was nothing but badgering him if you look at it.   your response to his argument of couts making good decision:

he didn't do anything wrong on the hit he took from ovechkin, and i never said he did.  if you would read before the hyperventilating.  he made a pass, was immediately rubbed out, and fell on his shoulder awkwardly.  he made the play fine, was unlucky with how he fell.

i was speaking more generally.  what i described was a player that generally opts against getting in the middle of scrums and whose challenging on loose pucks is often non-committal to the point of useless.  if that is what you call a good hockey player, the kind you win with, then cool.  we have some very different definitions of those terms.  i don't think he or his play are problems on any particular level --he gets an important job done, and done better than most-- but he certainly has less on-ice impact than he would if he were more aggressive in 50-50 situations or more prone to use his shoulders rather than his stick along the walls.  which is the opposite of the conclusion you somehow drew from my previous post.  couturier too often does drive-bys, especially on contested pucks.  i don't want him to play more like eberle, i want him to play less like eberle.

i'm pretty good and tired of you dismissing people as uninformed whenever they have the nerve to voice an opinion that doesn't match yours.  you don't tell them they are wrong, you lambaste and condescend them like it is both your job and favorite activity.  i am not entirely sure why the powers-that-be on this site are so very ok with this, especially when you just sent a handful of it straight at the site's owner, but it is *very* old at this point.  

we understand that you think knowing how to tape up your shinpads makes you an expert on hockey at the NHL level.  we understand that you feel having no first hand knowledge of climbing over the boards removes all validity in a person's point of view or opinion on the game of hockey in general.  we get it.  we think it is a pathetic pretend trump card you feel an active need to play, but we get it.  now stfu about it.

35 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

and how the hell do you know what his core and leg strength are?   and for some reason I feel creeped out that you are inspecting his core.   Just because someone fell doe not mean he is not strong... Ovie could crush more than 95% of the players in the league.  Be luck it was not Gost. sorry @hf101 but you are off your rocker with this one.  Sounds like you have a personal vendetta against the guy.  Are you and @icehole really the same person?

One measure is to see how easily he is pushed aside..  Did he do anything to embrace for the hit?  Does he make an effort to absorb the hit by shifting his weight at all to the right?  nope.... Couturier knew Ovechin was there and did nothing to stand tall to the approaching hit.  Couturier avoids hits a lot and this is exactly the response a non - aggressive player makes.  I doubt B Schenn, Simmonds or Voracek do take that hit the same way.  They may get rubbed out on the play but they are not pushed aside as easily.

And no I'm not @icehole and I don't have a personal vandetta against Couts, he does a lot of things right defensively, but he is a passive player  imo.  His non aggressiveness does irk me as I expect more.

couturierinjuryovi.gif

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I agree option 3 was the best choice. But couldn't he have shifted his weight to the right some to stand tall to the approaching hit?  He had to have known it was coming.

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

he made a pass, was immediately rubbed out, and fell on his shoulder awkwardly.  he made the play fine, was unlucky with how he fell.

Yeah, it looks more like that than anything. 

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

But couldn't he have shifted his weight to the right some to stand tall to the approaching hit?

Shifted his weight to the right eh? I dunno, maybe ask someone who is a better skater.

Archived