Props to Holtby

Despite what has to be frustration with his team and five hole issues...  Gotta give great kudos to Braden Holtby for this story...

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/05/05/holtby-stick-penguins-fan/

WASHINGTON — Braden Holtby was one of the league’s top goalies during the 2015-16 NHL season, and his play was a significant part of why the Capitals had one of their best seasons ever.

He has struggled at times during Washington’s series with the Pittsburgh Penguins, allowing 11 goals through the first four games, but he hasn’t let that hurt his character, nor has he lost sight of his priorities. On Wednesday, the Capitals’ goalie put sports aside to provide a cool moment for a young Penguins fan who is battling cancer, according to WJLA.

Holtby went on to have another game that was, by his lofty standards, subpar, and the Capitals lost in overtime, 3-2.

But the games, while important don’t mean everything, and sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of that. This was a good thing for Holtby to do, for a fan wearing the Capitals’ biggest rival’s jersey, on the day of arguably the biggest game of his career to this point.

Follow Bryan Frantz and 106.7 The Fan on Twitter

To me, the fact that this kind of thing happens is why I believe hockey remains the best sport in the world. That the players remain humble enough to know that they are not above the game and that life is more important than hockey is one of the main reasons I LOVE this sport more than any other. Yes, it is a great game, but it is so good that the players know not to get too full of themselves.

My aunt used to be a nurse at St. John's hospital in Detroit. All of the major sports teams would come to visit the kids there, but they LOVED when the Red Wings would come to visit, because they were the only ones who weren't there just to get their picture taken for PR. They GENUINELY WANTED to be there and encourage those kids. It was obvious. Some would come back on their own, no cameras.

BRAVO! Holtby just earned more than a few points in my book.

Just now, hf101 said:

The smile on the little boy's face was priceless.  Great post @Polaris922

priceless.gif

Yes it is. Holtby is an athlete kids can look up to today. With so many athletes setting bad examples such as Johnny Manziel, Aaron Hernandez, and others we need more like Braden Holtby.

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

All players and coaches should be that way!

Exactly. I remember many times waiting for autographs when I was a kid and the majority of the players seemed liked it was bothering them so much because maybe 10 kids were waiting for autographs from the players they adore after the game. It is ridiculous.

It's those multi million dollar contract that makes them non approachable! I could still approach Steve Blass and Manny Sanguillen( misspelled) of the '71 Pirates and have a decent conversation!

22 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

It's those multi million dollar contract that makes them non approachable! I could still approach Steve Blass and Manny Sanguillen( misspelled) of the '71 Pirates and have a decent conversation!

And the gigantic egos most of them have thinking they are better then everyone else.

27 minutes ago, notfondajane said:

I wonder how fast those millions could go away?

Oh many of the prime time athletes of the past have squandered their money because they had to live crazy large.

Archived