Now that all the finalists for the awards have been anounced.... Thoughts?

JagerMeister

Now that all the finalists for the awards have been anounced.....what are your thoughts? Undeserving finalists? Someone missing?

Personally, I think a certain defenseman that has had a season not seen in 20 years, only duplicated by the greatest before him, Deserves to be among the Hart candidates...

6 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

Personally, I think a certain defenseman that has had a season not seen in 20 years, only duplicated by the greatest before him, Deserves to be among the Hart candidates...

I don't know what to do now... I don't know if we've ever even agreed on the color of the sky before... Lol

I think Letang is an omission of note, and i threw up in  my mouth a little while typing that.  For me he has played the best defense i've ever seen from him this past year and he didn't sacrifice very much offensively.  

I also think the Pens are a dangerous team with him in the line up and just barely better than middle of the pack without him . 

That feels pretty "Harty" to me also, but I think he should definitely have received a nod for the Norris.

Burns is a joke as a Norris finalist. C'Mon. No way no how does he belong in that conversation.

Schneider should have been a finalist for the Vezina. The same things folks say about Karlsson about how he carried the team and yeah, they missed the postseason but what success they had is directly attributed to him is even more prevalent with Schneider. They hung around the fringe of the playoffs most of the year because of the magnificent play of Schneider. Just a brilliant season.

For the leagues top coach I might have given consideration to Bylsma for the Sabres going from 54 points and a laughing stock to 81 points and looking dangerous for years to come. A 27 point improvement deserves some recognition, although Gallant would still get my vote overall.

With all due respect for McDavid, he missed half the damn year and should not be on the list over Eichel.

I would probably have not only nominated Ryan O'Reilly for the Selke but would have given him the award, with all due enormous respect and a nod to Bergeron.

@yave1964 I agree with almost everything you said there. I'd have Letang as a finalist over Burns in the Norris race, I'd have Schneider getting a Vezina nod over Quick, and yes, Bylsma should certainly be in over either Ruff or Trotz, imo.

I do have to disagree on the McDavid vs Eichel part though. Eichel had a great season. Fifty-six points in 81 games is nothing to sneeze at. But, McDavid put up only eight fewer points in 36 fewer games. He definitely missed too much time for me to rank him above Panarin for the win, since the latter was a near point per game player, but the gap between the points per game between McDavid and Eichel is massive: 1.07 to 0.69. I think they got that one right.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Burns is a joke as a Norris finalist. C'Mon. No way no how does he belong in that conversation.

Apparently he has improved defensively this year. Along with that, was the leading goalscorer for defenseman.

Schneider should have been a finalist for the Vezina. The same things folks say about Karlsson about how he carried the team and yeah, they missed the postseason but what success they had is directly attributed to him is even more prevalent with Schneider. They hung around the fringe of the playoffs most of the year because of the magnificent play of Schneider. Just a brilliant season.

For the leagues top coach I might have given consideration to Bylsma for the Sabres going from 54 points and a laughing stock to 81 points and looking dangerous for years to come. A 27 point improvement deserves some recognition, although Gallant would still get my vote overall.

Schneider will continue to be underrated. Stellar goal tending being squandered and not receiving the attention it deserves due to a mediocre team.

With all due respect for McDavid, he missed half the damn year and should not be on the list over Eichel.

McDavid had a phenomenal season that only Crosby and Ovechkin rival from 2000 to present time. Eichel had 7 more points in 34 more games played. That's a substantial difference that simply cannot be disregarded.

I would probably have not only nominated Ryan O'Reilly for the Selke but would have given him the award, with all due enormous respect and a nod to Bergeron.

Im definitely not impartial when I say this, but Barkov deserved to be a finalist IMO. If you look at advanced stats, they are near identical to Kopitar and Bergeron.

6 minutes ago, ScottM said:

@yave1964 I agree with almost everything you said there. I'd have Letang as a finalist over Burns in the Norris race, I'd have Schneider getting a Vezina nod over Quick, and yes, Bylsma should certainly be in over either Ruff or Trotz, imo.

I do have to disagree on the McDavid vs Eichel part though. Eichel had a great season. Fifty-six points in 81 games is nothing to sneeze at. But, McDavid put up only eight fewer points in 36 fewer games. He definitely missed too much time for me to rank him above Panarin for the win, since the latter was a near point per game player, but the gap between the points per game between McDavid and Eichel is massive: 1.07 to 0.69. I think they got that one right.

Guess what? I concur.

Typically, I wouldn't consider someone that played remarkably for half a season to be among the calder finalists. But McDavid had the 3rd highest PPG in the league. Whether he would sustain it throughout an 80 game pace is debatable. But the fact that he was fourth in points among rookies while playing significantly less games is substantial. While I dont think he should win, him being a finalist is definitely deserved.

Archived