Have we seem the last of RJ Umberger?

pilldoc

So ... do the Flyers buy him out?  Without a shadow of a doubt, for all the great moves Hexy has accomplished since being named GM, this one looks like a black eye on an otherwise almost spotless body of work.  I  was in the camp...yeah Umby could be better than Hartnell. I was all for the trade.  Well....I was massively wrong. 

"Ron Hextall has made many shrewd moves in his two years as the Flyers' general manager, but his first trade - sending Scott Hartnell to Columbus for Umberger and a fourth-round draft pick - didn't exactly work in his favor. When the deal was made, Hextall said that he "wanted to get quicker up front" and that Umberger was versatile enough to play on the top line or the checking unit - or any line in between.

The deal was made, in part, because Hartnell had five years left on his contract (with a $4.75 million annual cap hit) and Umberger had three.

Hartnell, 34, still has three years left on his pact, but he has been a productive player for the Blue Jackets, scoring 28 and 23 goals in the last two seasons. The Flyers desperately missed him on the power play.

Hartnell's numbers since the trade: 51 goals, 109 points.

Umberger's numbers since the trade: 11 goals, 26 points."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20160511_Umberger_wants_to_play_somewhere_if_Flyers_buy_him_out.html

The above numbers don't lie....sorry Hexy..but on this one...you swung and missed real bad.  I understood the thought process and thinking behind the trade but man did it ever blow up in the Flyers face.....

time to move forward....bye RJ ...your time with the Flyers is over!

Hey, nobody has perfect vision...yeah, this was a gamble that didn't pay off.  It is sad.  I remember an Umby who skated well and competed with the best of them.  To say he prematurely aged is a understatement.  I suspect some play in Europe...can't imagine an NHL team picking him up.

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Hey, nobody has perfect vision...yeah, this was a gamble that didn't pay off.  It is sad.  I remember an Umby who skated well and competed with the best of them.  To say he prematurely aged is a understatement.  I suspect some play in Europe...can't imagine an NHL team picking him up.

I'll never forget him making Carey Price look like Swiss cheese 

It all depends on a couple of things. First and foremost, what does Hextall plan to do in the FA market? Tie in with that, does he have an opportunity to move a contract like Read or Streit? If Hextall plans to be more active in the market than just re-signing his own guys, he probably has to buy out Umberger, unless he can successfully shop Matt Read or Mark Streit. I don't think Hextall wants to buy out RJ, and would prefer the cap hit to naturally disappear at the end of next season rather than carry 1.5 million into 2017. But a buyout would probably be a signal that the Flyers plan to be players this offseason.

The second is the question of how players with NMCs/NTCs with expiring contracts will be treated in an expansion draft. If the alternative is to be forced to protect Umberger in the expansion draft, then he will probably get bought out. I don't think this is a terribly likely scenario, but it is possible. However, if it was the case, I'd ask, "Well, can't we just buy out of the last month of their contract for $0 at the end of the season?"

42 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

8 years ago.Christ, I was 21 and still doing my undergrad lol

That was right before our first child was born.... he turns 8 next week!  Talk about time flying....

Archived