Helene St. James is a sad joke

yave1964

Just want to vent for a moment.

I argued with a friend in here awhile ago that the Wings reporters were the worst in Hockey, he made the case that Helene th?id=OIP.Md09d336974812fbed3cdf156284c9 St. James is solid and unbiased. I not only call shenanigans but say she apparently does not even watch Hockey.

In the most recent 'mailbag' where she answers a fans question about the potential to trade Howard her reply was: "This is where trading Jimmy Howard (most likely in a package deal) could pay off, as a candidate such as Calgary could yield Mark Giordano or Dougie Hamilton."

I am almost ashamed to have cut and pasted that.

Giordano just resigned for a long term deal Hamilton is not going anywhere and Howard has ZERO value. Be honest with the fans and tell the truth, do not just throw a dart and say we can trade a Howard for one of the best defenseman in the game. Somewhere a Wings fan is licking their chops at the proposition of adding Giordano or who knows, maybe Ryan Suter or Shea Weber after reading her nonsense.

She has gotten to the point that like the Wings themselves she is simply going through the motions and owes the fans an apology for her lack of effort. th?id=OIP.M75a0f837804f7a9b763315d466842 She is a homer and her knowledge of the game outside of the Wings is limited at best.

And her report card of the Wings had Tatar and Nyquist rated as F for the year and everyone else pretty much a C or better. They were the only two F's she gave.

Tatar hustled all year, his goal scoring was down but he came to play every night. Gus? Yeah he sucked but he was not alone. She seems to pile on what others are saying and writing rather than do her own research.

I get it that you have to say nicey nice things to keep the fans interest up even when the players are with their families in the Bahamas or at the golf course or playing in the Worlds or wherever, but not in the Stanley Cup playoffs beyond early April yet again. You dont want to rip the team too bad, you need to see these guys in the locker room and get quotes and sell tickets and all. But be honest. A lot of Wings deserved F's of low grades. You are not trading Howard and getting a return for him. Never going to happen.

So Helene St. James, stop writing dribble. Do research, articles like these are just mailing it in, no effort, kind of like the Wings themselves. You used to be better than this. Get it in gear and start trying again.

@yave1964

Wow..that is pretty critical.  I never really liked her writing so much, and you're right, there is nothing to prove she has any particular hockey accumen.  She does like to use the big words and (try to) talk the talk.  Unfortunately though, she pretty much has the corner o the market when it comes to Red Wings reporting in the Detroit area...so I guess we're stuck with her....

21 hours ago, yave1964 said:

"This is where trading Jimmy Howard (most likely in a package deal) could pay off, as a candidate such as Calgary could yield Mark Giordano or Dougie Hamilton."

I am almost ashamed to have cut and pasted that.

Wow that is bad. What is she smoking???

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow that is bad. What is she smoking???

That is becoming more and more typical of her writing. Lazy, simply awful writing. I try to avoid her whenever possible but as a Wings fan I need to read whatever is out there at times to see what is going on with the boys. She may have been capable at one time, but now she literally seems to mail it in. Again, kind of like the Wings.

12 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

That is becoming more and more typical of her writing. Lazy, simply awful writing. I try to avoid her whenever possible but as a Wings fan I need to read whatever is out there at times to see what is going on with the boys. She may have been capable at one time, but now she literally seems to mail it in. Again, kind of like the Wings.

Not sure if you have seen this......

Detroit Red Wings to part ways with Kyle Quincey, Brad Richards

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/05/19/detroit-red-wings-brad-richards/84585926/

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure if you have seen this......

Detroit Red Wings to part ways with Kyle Quincey, Brad Richards

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/05/19/detroit-red-wings-brad-richards/84585926/

Yeah I saw that, Quincey is a good stay at home guy, a 5 or 6 on his best day. You can win with guys like him in a lesser role but if you need too much from him you are in trouble.

I am in the minority in here in that I wanted to see the Wings at least consider keeping Richards. He was okay playing on the third line as a winger, yes he has eroded but for 3 million a year he delivered 14 PPP and was a bit nastier than I knew him to be. I was hoping he would go for less this year and would continue as a bridge for the kids. His not returning, and likely Helm as well means that Athanasiou, Mantha and likely Tyler bertuzzi will make the team which is fine with me. I think Richards was better than given credit for but youth must be served.

@yave1964

I was with you on Richards.  We don't get the most bag for our buck, but the guy did produce (somewhat).  Still, looks like the decision has been made, and it looks like Holland is going to turn to the younger call-ups, while re-allocating a total of 7.25 million dollars to likely go get that veteran blue-liner you've been wanting.  

I look forward to a very busy summer........

1 hour ago, WingNut722 said:

@yave1964

I was with you on Richards.  We don't get the most bag for our buck, but the guy did produce (somewhat).  Still, looks like the decision has been made, and it looks like Holland is going to turn to the younger call-ups, while re-allocating a total of 7.25 million dollars to likely go get that veteran blue-liner you've been wanting.  

I look forward to a very busy summer........

My perfect Wings summer:

The Wings sign Yandle. An offensive force from the blueline who would change our team.

Sign Frans Neilson away from the Islanders. One of the most underrated centers in the game. Love this guy. Good for 20 goals, 50 points year in and out like punching a clock and plays 200 feet, never takes a shift off.

If we add those two and give the kids like AA, Mantha and Bertuzzi a shot, I will be thrilled.

My $.02 on all of the above:

Its not that Howard has zero value. He does, and the proof was that he ended up being the reason we actually made the playoffs when he stole that win against the Flyers. The problem is that his cap hit is far more than he actually is worth. Only chance I see is with an expansion draft selection, but the odds of that happening are still probably gonna be low to none. It may be semantics, but Howard does have more value than zero. The problem is his contract.

But about St. James, I have to agree with the general idea @yave1964 is selling here. Truthfully, there is VERY LITTLE that I have learned outright or even first from one of her articles. And that quote from the online discussion was sheer comedy! If she actually believes that, she is out of her mind. I saw it before you quoted it on here, and my first thought was, "Am I the only one who I knows how stupid that response was?" I had to chuckle when I saw it quoted here.

I think she may have had a bit more rapport with Babcock, and that's why she kept her job. I don't know that she's got much rapport with anyone else, and if she keeps saying stuff like that, no one is going to give her anything worthwhile to report.

Archived