1994 was the beginning of the end for the Rangers

Paparanger

So, anyone who was around when the Rangers won the cup in 1994 must remember some of the players on that squad. I do and what I remember the most is the seven former Edmonton Oilers that were on the team. Two of the former Edmonton players did not come via a trade with the Oilers. Adam Graves came via an offer sheet and Glen Anderson came via a trade with Toronto for Mike Gartner. The other five came as trades between Neil Smith and Glen Sather for draft picks and your players.

Now I don't know how much you follow the Rangers but since I do I pay attention to what goes on around the team the best I can. Consider this; Two of the Edmonton Oilers who won the cup in 94 won the cup five times with Edmonton. So did Glen Sather. Then in 94 Messier, Lowe won the cup a 6th time. Now I don't know about you but that had to sting Sather knowing he was responsible for sending so many players to New York and being a huge part of them winning the cup. The only problem was that his name wasn't on the cup in 94.

Then in 2000 Sather became the GM of the Rangers and since his hiring, he has stretched this team to the limits. Taking chances on players like Eric Lindros, Pavel Bure, Wade Redden, Scott Gomez and many others.   He has given away the Rangers first and even some second round draft picks for years to come and has left the farm team with limited resources. And, let's not forget Hugh Jessiman and Bobby Sanguietti.

Right now the Rangers are in a cap squeeze, have aging players on the team with huge and long term contracts and no first or second round picks for at least two more years.

Way to go Sather.  

@Paparanger

Welcome to the Forums. Great bunch in here, even if you are a Ranger fan, lol.

The Rangers have a bunch of good players, notice I said GOOD players, Stepan, Kreider, Brassard, Staal, McDonough, Zuccarello are all solid complimentary players. You can win with them, but it is a stretch to ask them to carry a club to the promise land.

They go for the home run more than any team around, the trade for Nash, Yandle, Gaborik, Eric Staal, one after another to try to get the team over the top. They have a nice core and I really cannot fault them for this of late, a decade ago the Bure, Lindros and Messier part two were absurd.

They have relied on a solid underrated defense in front of the King who was the best goalie in the game to lead them with a solid bunch of forwards who played well at both ends of the ice. Now the King is not dead but he is no longer the best goalie in Hockey, not by a long shot and the above average talent around him is not enough to make up for his deficiencies.

Do not get me wrong, I would take any of the above, Stephan, Kreider, Brasard, McDonough and Zuccarello any day of the week but they are damn good players but not great players. They are the types you need to win but you need a star or two to push your team over the top. Pavelski, Burns and Thornton are special this postseason in San Jose. Malkin, Crosby and (gulp) Kessel have had brilliant stretches in Pittsburgh.

The Rangers are reminding me more and more of my Wings. That is not a compliment. The Rangers have good players and aging stars and are slipping.

What to do to fix things?

First, forget Staal. His best days are long gone. He is not the answer. If you can find a taker for Nash do it now before it is too late. And hoard draft picks and draft wisely.

What I find that is even more disturbing is the fact that Jim Dolan never did anything about the mess that Sather Created. BTW, Sullivan as the Pens coach & Hags going to game 5 tonight. Sather picked the wrong guy to coach the Rangers. He should have picked Sullivan instead of Tortorella.

On 6/9/2016 at 11:45 AM, yave1964 said:

@Paparanger

Welcome to the Forums. Great bunch in here, even if you are a Ranger fan, lol.

The Rangers have a bunch of good players, notice I said GOOD players, Stepan, Kreider, Brassard, Staal, McDonough, Zuccarello are all solid complimentary players. You can win with them, but it is a stretch to ask them to carry a club to the promise land.

They go for the home run more than any team around, the trade for Nash, Yandle, Gaborik, Eric Staal, one after another to try to get the team over the top. They have a nice core and I really cannot fault them for this of late, a decade ago the Bure, Lindros and Messier part two were absurd.

They have relied on a solid underrated defense in front of the King who was the best goalie in the game to lead them with a solid bunch of forwards who played well at both ends of the ice. Now the King is not dead but he is no longer the best goalie in Hockey, not by a long shot and the above average talent around him is not enough to make up for his deficiencies.

Do not get me wrong, I would take any of the above, Stephan, Kreider, Brasard, McDonough and Zuccarello any day of the week but they are damn good players but not great players. They are the types you need to win but you need a star or two to push your team over the top. Pavelski, Burns and Thornton are special this postseason in San Jose. Malkin, Crosby and (gulp) Kessel have had brilliant stretches in Pittsburgh.

The Rangers are reminding me more and more of my Wings. That is not a compliment. The Rangers have good players and aging stars and are slipping.

What to do to fix things?

First, forget Staal. His best days are long gone. He is not the answer. If you can find a taker for Nash do it now before it is too late. And hoard draft picks and draft wisely.

Beg to disagree with you. Anyone who knows hockey knows that you build a team from the goal out. The Rangers have a great goaltender and a very good backup, but their defense is not very good. Boyle is gone. (Thank God) Girardi & Stall need to go too. Yandle may cost too much money so figure him to be gone. 

If that is the case, the Rangers will be a lot better off. With the two new guys and McDonough and Kline they should be better. Now as far as the forwards. The term Good players is bit strong. Yes they have a couple of no shows like Nash and this year Hayes. But, Stephan, Zuke & Bassard are great players but you can't score if you don't have the puck and the D this year was awful last year. They made so many mistakes the forwards had to start putting out fires and when that happens everything goes wrong. I say dismantle the d corps and start over. 

3 hours ago, Paparanger said:

Beg to disagree with you. Anyone who knows hockey knows that you build a team from the goal out. The Rangers have a great goaltender and a very good backup, but their defense is not very good. Boyle is gone. (Thank God) Girardi & Stall need to go too. Yandle may cost too much money so figure him to be gone. 

If that is the case, the Rangers will be a lot better off. With the two new guys and McDonough and Kline they should be better. Now as far as the forwards. The term Good players is bit strong. Yes they have a couple of no shows like Nash and this year Hayes. But, Stephan, Zuke & Bassard are great players but you can't score if you don't have the puck and the D this year was awful last year. They made so many mistakes the forwards had to start putting out fires and when that happens everything goes wrong. I say dismantle the d corps and start over. 

Obviously you watch more Ranger games than I do, the defense has always been a source of pride in New York, I have always rated Staal as one of the most overrated players in Hockey but Girardi as a shot blocker and hitter was underrated so it kind of balanced out, lol. This year Girardi started slipping noticably.

Boyle, lost. Hopeless. His only skill was on the power play and that was not taht good. Klein has always been extremely underrated defensively and is a favorite. McDonough is not elite, not quite in the class as Letang, Keith and Doughty but not far behind.

After a brilliant start in New York they were a .500 team for the last two thirds of the season and stumbled into the playoffs and were quickly bounced. How much of that is Lundy and how much is a defense that got awfully old awfully quick is something that you could answer better than me. I did watch maybe ten Rangers games this year, Lundqvist seemed not to be his usual self, he would give up a goal and you could almost sense the frustration coming from him and too often one goal was quickly followed by a second. Again, how much is Lundy is something you can answer better than me. I agree you build from the net out, I just feel his window if not closed is getting closer.

The forwards,I agree that often when the defense is pedestrain the forwards have to pick up the slack I have seen the Wings forwards falling apart because of the most boring collection on defense ever. I agree it is cause for some of the slippage in scoring. Zuccarello was brilliant last year, the rest seemed to slip some, I did not factor in the covering up for a defense that sucks and you are probably right in that regard. I do not see any of the Ranger forwards as stars tho, again like McDonough a sted below.

It all comes down to Lundqvist. If he bounces back so will the Rangers. If they build a better defense it will absolutely make his life easier.

• 3 months later...

Archived