Bryan Rust

jammer2

Just where did this guy come from? You can't make a long playoff run without a few unknowns stepping up from nowhere.....but I don't think this is a John Druce kinda thing. I think he is the real deal. He was drafted 80th overall, 3rd round way back in 2010. I think he is a classic late bloomer. One thing for sure, his speed and determination will keep him in the NHL.

If you look at his first pro year, he played 45 games for Wilkes-Barry and impressed with 13 goals, 14 assists, 27 pts and +14. Those are some nice numbers for a rookie in the AHL. So, the sample size is small, but you have grounds to think there is some offense ready to emerge.

All of a sudden, the team that could *never* break in a significant forward from the prospect ranks is now blessed with Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackle....I mean, you could throw these 3 on a line together and they would dominate. Man...did that happen fast.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123394

11 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just where did this guy come from? You can't make a long playoff run without a few unknowns stepping up from nowhere.....but I don't think this is a John Druce kinda thing. I think he is the real deal. He was drafted 80th overall, 3rd round way back in 2010. I think he is a classic late bloomer. One thing for sure, his speed and determination will keep him in the NHL.

If you look at his first pro year, he played 45 games for Wilkes-Barry and impressed with 13 goals, 14 assists, 27 pts and +14. Those are some nice numbers for a rookie in the AHL. So, the sample size is small, but you have grounds to think there is some offense ready to emerge.

All of a sudden, the team that could *never* break in a significant forward from the prospect ranks is now blessed with Rust, Sheary, Kuhnhackle....I mean, you could throw these 3 on a line together and they would dominate. Man...did that happen fast.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123394

Shero.  As much as Rutherford has done to get this team to where it is, Shero's fingerprints are still all over the place. Rust. Sheary. Murray. Kuhnhackl. Dumoulin.

Rejean is a great lifelong hockey man, i'm sure he would tell the Pens "you're welcome" in that "f-off" kind of way.

I'm not sold on Sheary, he has great speed but is no doubt benefiting from playing along side Sid.  

When I watch him though I can't help but think  he's a step up from Harry Zolynerczyck or Eric Wellwood... a little bit more skill than those guys but still smallish and can be bullied off the puck along the boards or in traffic ( provided you can catch him) I don't see him anchoring a  top 6 line, he's a complimentary piece not a building block. I think if he were anywhere else in the league he's a bottom six guy.  And as much as I really like Bonino's game i wonder how much he's benefiting from having Phillip bag of doughnuts on his line.  I think that might matter a little less than Sheary with Crosby, but Kessel does have elite skating and shooting abilities, Bonino creates space and wins hard battles  ....count me as a fan.

Rust shows flashes of talent but no consistency yet.  He's top six because he's with the lazy Russian.  Malkin's east-west opens ice for Rust's north-south speed.  I think the two compliment each other pretty well.  

8 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

Malkin's east-west opens ice for Rust's north-south speed.  I think the two compliment each other pretty well.  

Exactly, they seem to be a very nice fit together. I just love what Rust brings to the rink....unbridled enthusiasm for starters. You can tell he is one of the guys that eats, sleeps and drinks hockey. I do believe he will become a nice player in his own right, and find some of that elusive consistency once he gets another season under his belt. I think he is one of the smart ones who combines skill with hard work and it will translate into a very nice career.

Archived