Monsters destroy AHL win the Calder Cup

yave1964

champion-head.jpg Congrats to the Lake Erie Monsters who simply ran roughshod over the AHL in the postseason to win the Calder cup with a 1-0 overtime victory against the Hershey Bears to complete a 4 game sweep. Last night a nifty pass from Zach Werenski freeing Oliver th?id=OIP.M32044099fd0c003c794b7af93b8fd Bjorgstrand for a goal with less than two seconds to go in overtime ended it.

sweep seemed to be the theme of the series as the Monsters swept first first round against the Rockford Icehogs and the third round against the Ontario Reign. Only Grand Rapids in teh second round won two games, but both of those were desperation after the Monsters were already up 3 games to zip.

This is not like last years champs, the Manchester Monarchs who were made up of mostly old non prospects and kids who were still years away, these Monsters did have a few names that diehard NHL fans might recognize such as Jamie Sifers and Ryan Craig who sort of had careers but the stars of the series for the Bluejacket bunch were the kids.

Oliver Bjorgstrand led the team in goals with ten and tied in points with 16 in the 17 games played, he is a rail thin oily player who finds the net and will play top six minutes in Columbus next year. Josh th?id=OIP.Mcffbafb69984fedab3084bfde0a19 Anderson had 7 goals and led the team with 24 PIMs and is a power forward waiting to happen, again middle six at the least as soon as next season. The two prized jewels in net, Joonas Korpisalo and Anton th?id=OIP.M3725d81243dd6c6c7345e1551462f Forsberg split time in net and both were brilliant and may make Columbus ask, what about Bob? Who really needs him? Lots of kids, Lukas Sedlak, Daniel Zaar, Sonny Milano and Kyrby Rychel all contributed and all are destined for NHL careers.

But the prize of the postseason was Zach th?id=OIP.M88b6a86714c4331a5ce8134353657 Werenski who at 18 turned pro in time for the playoffs after an outstanding season at the U of Michigan, Werenski led all defenseman in scoring in the postseason with 5-9-14 and a plus 8 rating showed he played sound defense. There is a very real chance that he will be playing on the back end in Columbus next season.

So kids with uber talent everywhere, going 15-2 in the playoffs was a special run. I made it to two games in the season and one against my Griffins, the fans were treated to a special team. Last nights crowd of 19,665 was the largest ever to see a Hockey game in Ohio, and the second largest crowd ever to show up to an AHL postseason game. Wow.

The Bears have nothing to be ashamed of, I watched three of the four games on TV, Vrana looks like a real player, my teenage daughter and I met Riley Barber after a Hockey game when he played for Miami of Ohio, she saw him for five minutes and developed a huge crush, almost threw away her autograph Dubinsky jersey, lol. The kid can play with a non stop motor. Justin Peters is not a real prospect anymore but he played his heart out every night. Madison Bowey looks like a real NHL back end guy with a snarl. It is not like they beat up on bums to make it to the finals, they had a rough road, defeating the Penguins top club in 7 games and then the best team in the AHL regular season by a longshot, the stacked Toronto Marlies. So @mojo1917 your boys have nothing to be ashamed of. The Monsters just got hot and stayed hot at the right time.

Columbus has a nice set of up and coming NHL's.  They are gonna be dangerous in a few years PLUS adding the #3 overall pick in this years draft....look out is all I can say.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:15 AM, yave1964 said:

Bjorgstrand for a goal with less than two seconds to go in overtime ended it.

Still can't understand how my Flyers passed on this kid for Goulbourne a utility forward type.

Bjorkstrand had a nice playoff run 10 goals 6 assist for +9 in 17 games. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, SlapShot66 said:

I live in Cleveland and I was at The Q when the Monsters won The Calder Cup and it was awesome. . . . . . .

Did they beat Texas?  I thought Texas was in the final?  Not sure

Archived