Minnesota Wild best and worst trades

yave1964

The Wild's turn.

BEST TRADES IN FRANCHISE HISTORY:

It surprised me how vanilla the trades this organization has made have turned out. A lot of number 6 d-men for another teams number six d-man, trades like Heatley for Havlat with the Sharks which were a play on the classic a trade that hurt both teams. Very few, with one glaring exception were super lopsided. But here we go:

DEVAN th?id=OIP.Mb279225ab779135626c4fc89f9780 DUBNYK FROM THE COYOTES FOR A THIRD ROUNDER

Okay, nobody in their right mind would have  thought that Dubnyk would have the insane season that he did after a half a season getting his head back on under the goalie whisperer, Sean Burke out in the desert. Dubnyk saved the Wilds season and is the long term answer in net.

MAREK th?id=OIP.Mc518fce05439480be8e9c76331a60 ZIDLICKY FROM THE PREDATORS FOR RYAN JONES: Zidlicky went on to be the offensive d-man the Wild desperately needed for five seasons and Jones spent parts of two seasons in Nashville doing zip before moving on. Zids helped to stabilize a bunch of kids on the back end. I dont think much of Zidlicky now and havent for a while but he had a nice run on the point in Minnesota for a forward with very little skill.

NINO NIEDERREITER FROM THE ISLANDERS FOR CAL CLUTTERBUCK

This may be the trade of the coolest names in hockey. Neiderreiter has went on to become a solid middle six winger who hits and scores 20ish goals a a year, Clutterbuck is solid as one on the leading hitters in Hockey but has lost his scoring touch. Easy win for the wild.

WILLIE MITCHELL FROM THE DEVILS FOR SEAN O'DONNELL: O'Donnell played 17 regular season games with teh Devils and was around as a body on a deep playoff run but did little before signing in the offseason with the Bruins for too much money. Michell steadied the Wild defense for six years and played for another 15 before being forced to retire this offseason with concussion issues.

WORST TRADES IN CLUB HISTORY:

DWAYNE ROLOSON TO THE OILERS FOR A COUPLE OF PICKS WHO NEVER PLAYED FOR THE WILD. Okay, this deal was not so bad for the Wild as it was brilliant for the Oilers, Rolly the Goalie went on to help the Oilers upset the league all the way to game 7 of the SCF with a very ordinary team, vets Roloson and Pronger carried them way beyond what they should have been able to.

ZBYNEK th?id=OIP.M0d4a0547857a67431bece43de1e8a MICHALEK TO THE COYOTES FOR A BUNCH OF NOTHING. Okay maybe not nothing, they got Erik Westrum who played 10 games for the Wild and two in Toronto before moving overseas, Michalek has spent all or parts of nine seasons with the 'Yotes as a solid hard hitting stay at home defender.

BRENT th?id=OIP.M955089b6298b365c95fcaeeb3e65f BURNS TO THE SHARKS FOR CHARLIE COYLE AND DEVIN SETOGUCHI.

Here it is, the granddaddy of them all for the Wild, they essentially donated the Wookie to the Sharks for th?id=OIP.M1c14c4d42b5d07d8a1775faa7d4d1 Setoguchi who scored 19 and 13 goals in two undistinguished seasons in Minnesota before moving on and Charlie Coyle who has established himself as a solid middle six forward with maybe a little upside. Burns has turned into an iconic superstar both on and off the ice, is a nominee for the Norris trophy this year and may be the greatest power play man in the game today on the back end. Simply destroyed in this one.

Like I said, a pretty vanilla list other than the Burns fiasco. I could have and probably should have lsited the Matt Moulson trade from the Sabres for a couple of second rounders with Moulson returning to Buffalo at the end fo the year, and possibly the trade for Pomminville which they didnt give up much, but they got a player whom they immediately helped shred their already delicate cap by signing him for too much and too long. That is about it.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:06 PM, yave1964 said:

The Wild's turn.

BEST TRADES IN FRANCHISE HISTORY:

It surprised me how vanilla the trades this organization has made have turned out. A lot of number 6 d-men for another teams number six d-man, trades like Heatley for Havlat with the Sharks which were a play on the classic a trade that hurt both teams. Very few, with one glaring exception were super lopsided. But here we go:

DEVAN th?id=OIP.Mb279225ab779135626c4fc89f9780 DUBNYK FROM THE COYOTES FOR A THIRD ROUNDER

Okay, nobody in their right mind would have  thought that Dubnyk would have the insane season that he did after a half a season getting his head back on under the goalie whisperer, Sean Burke out in the desert. Dubnyk saved the Wilds season and is the long term answer in net.

MAREK th?id=OIP.Mc518fce05439480be8e9c76331a60 ZIDLICKY FROM THE PREDATORS FOR RYAN JONES: Zidlicky went on to be the offensive d-man the Wild desperately needed for five seasons and Jones spent parts of two seasons in Nashville doing zip before moving on. Zids helped to stabilize a bunch of kids on the back end. I dont think much of Zidlicky now and havent for a while but he had a nice run on the point in Minnesota for a forward with very little skill.

NINO NIEDERREITER FROM THE ISLANDERS FOR CAL CLUTTERBUCK

This may be the trade of the coolest names in hockey. Neiderreiter has went on to become a solid middle six winger who hits and scores 20ish goals a a year, Clutterbuck is solid as one on the leading hitters in Hockey but has lost his scoring touch. Easy win for the wild.

WILLIE MITCHELL FROM THE DEVILS FOR SEAN O'DONNELL: O'Donnell played 17 regular season games with teh Devils and was around as a body on a deep playoff run but did little before signing in the offseason with the Bruins for too much money. Michell steadied the Wild defense for six years and played for another 15 before being forced to retire this offseason with concussion issues.

WORST TRADES IN CLUB HISTORY:

DWAYNE ROLOSON TO THE OILERS FOR A COUPLE OF PICKS WHO NEVER PLAYED FOR THE WILD. Okay, this deal was not so bad for the Wild as it was brilliant for the Oilers, Rolly the Goalie went on to help the Oilers upset the league all the way to game 7 of the SCF with a very ordinary team, vets Roloson and Pronger carried them way beyond what they should have been able to.

ZBYNEK th?id=OIP.M0d4a0547857a67431bece43de1e8a MICHALEK TO THE COYOTES FOR A BUNCH OF NOTHING. Okay maybe not nothing, they got Erik Westrum who played 10 games for the Wild and two in Toronto before moving overseas, Michalek has spent all or parts of nine seasons with the 'Yotes as a solid hard hitting stay at home defender.

BRENT th?id=OIP.M955089b6298b365c95fcaeeb3e65f BURNS TO THE SHARKS FOR CHARLIE COYLE AND DEVIN SETOGUCHI.

Here it is, the granddaddy of them all for the Wild, they essentially donated the Wookie to the Sharks for th?id=OIP.M1c14c4d42b5d07d8a1775faa7d4d1 Setoguchi who scored 19 and 13 goals in two undistinguished seasons in Minnesota before moving on and Charlie Coyle who has established himself as a solid middle six forward with maybe a little upside. Burns has turned into an iconic superstar both on and off the ice, is a nominee for the Norris trophy this year and may be the greatest power play man in the game today on the back end. Simply destroyed in this one.

Like I said, a pretty vanilla list other than the Burns fiasco. I could have and probably should have lsited the Matt Moulson trade from the Sabres for a couple of second rounders with Moulson returning to Buffalo at the end fo the year, and possibly the trade for Pomminville which they didnt give up much, but they got a player whom they immediately helped shred their already delicate cap by signing him for too much and too long. That is about it.

Yes i mentioned the Burns trade a while back in the shoutbox and how they got fleeced...it was not received well by some of the Wild fans here....trying to say they didn't get fleeced...but yes they got Coyle who has been ok.

But i still stand by my fleeced comment.

Hey i'm a Flyer fan i know fleeced 1st hand (see the Sharp trade or Justin Williams)...sadly.

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@hf101

For your enjoyment.......

‘I wish we wouldn’t have done that’: Wild owner regrets Martin Hanzal trade

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/18/i-wish-we-wouldnt-have-done-that-wild-owner-regrets-martin-hanzal-trade/

Yup..........bad move!!!

Unfortunately, I'm not enjoying this.  Chuck Fletcher overpaid and messed with the chemistry of the team.

14 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I still love Hanzal, hard hitting center who can play, but sometimes you try to fit a square peg in a round hole.....

Thing is, while it is obvious the Hanzal trade didn't work out like the Wild expected, at the time that trade was made, it seemed like a good idea.

You know what they say about hindsight...everyone is a friggin genius.

Wild got their 1C in Staal in the off season, but still felt they needed another big bodied C for the playoffs...they went out and got one.

Really...who else was going to be available to them without the team giving up a ton of players just to acquire?  Not very many available....and Hanzal, relatively speaking, came cheap.

In fact, I am not completely opposed to re-signing Hanzal to a team friendly two year type deal to see what he can REALLY do over the course of a full season AND on a contending team in Minnesota as opposed to a team still trying to find itself like he was in Arizona.

Of course, by reading the above line put out by the Wild owner, the chances of Hanzal returning are Slim and None, and as they say, Slim just left town.

I was as disappointed as the next Wild fan that Hanzal wasn't more impactful not only in the post season, but in the games leading up to them.

But you know, teams try to do things to improve and give themselves a better chance in the playoffs...and sometimes, it just doesn't work.

Archived