Goligoski 5 year deal with coyotes, Datsyuk rumored to be next

The Coyotes made a move the other day trading a 5th rounder to the Stars for the exclusive rights to Alex th?id=OIP.M7ddeb958776311076f040dd1522db Goligoski. This morning it looks like they have locked him up on a five year, 27.5 million dollar deal.

The Arizona #Coyotes are currently the team furthest from the newly announced $54M cap floor with a project cap of $34,438,491 (-$19,561,509).

That leaves the team still 14 million short of the mandatory cap floor, even with bringing Goligoski into the fold.

Rumors are all over the net that the Wings and 'Yotes have had discussions about the Wings trading th?id=HS.216672180346&pid=15.1&P=0&w=326 Datsyuk's 7.5 million dollar cap hit to the Coyotes. The cost would be high, the Coyotes are demanding a young ready now prospect, Andreas Athanasiou (NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!) has been tossed about as has last years first round pick, rugged power forward to be Evgeny Svechnikov. The Wings would have to give up a real player to dump the contract. The bar was set last week when the Hawks to get rid of the contract of Bryan Bickel the Hawks gave up top prospect Teevu Terravainen tot he Hurricanes.

As a Wings fan I am of two minds, I do not want to see th?id=OIP.M232981ad32049fdc01c92b600ce6c Athanasiou and Svechnikov gone and part of me is like, well, it is only one year, if we need to eat the contract for one season we can survive it. But part of me is like, lets do the deal, get rid of 7.5 million free up enough money to make a serious run at Stamkos who would look damn good in a Wings sweater. I love AA but I would look at it as a trade of he for Stamkos which I could certainly get used to.

But there is no guarantee the Wings get Stamkos even with the money freed up. If they do so and swing and miss then what? They are out Athanasiou for no reason.

But back to the Coyotes.

Goligoski is a nice piece, still fairly young, a puck mover to go with OEL and the rugged Stone on the back end, it is a sign that they are going the right direction and 'Yote fans should be happy.

As for this year, they are still several years away regardless so taking on Datsyuk's contract in exchange for a real top tier prospect is a win for them.

Adding Goligoski and Athanasiou would and should make the fans in Arizona very happy. First part seems done, the second part is getting louder all the time.

If I'm the Wings, it would be MUCH better to eat one year of pain and not lose top prospects just to dump cap space.

As I read it, with the 10% off-season exemption, they might still be able to qualify their RFAs and offer Stamkos a max contract without needing to move Datsyuk. They have $12.6M in cap space rightnow and an "extra" $7.3M in off-season. I will note that I am not sure what sort of one-way contracts and prorated AHL deals they might need to include in that number.

But Detroit would look really foolish if they move Datsyuk and a top prospect and Stamkos re-signs with Tampa before even reaching UFA. Or if he does get to UFA and signs somewhere else (Tronno, BFLO, etc.)

Regarding Datsyuk...Everything I read (which wasn't much) said he was *RETIRING*.  I thought you couldn't trade a retired players contract...he has to still be considered "active" to be traded.   Is that not the case?  Case and point, Pronger didn't retire and that allowed the Flyers to trade him to dump his cap hit.

37 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Regarding Datsyuk...Everything I read (which wasn't much) said he was *RETIRING*.  I thought you couldn't trade a retired players contract...he has to still be considered "active" to be traded.   Is that not the case?  Case and point, Pronger didn't retire and that allowed the Flyers to trade him to dump his cap hit.

I don't think it is official yet.

Which could be part of the impetus to get it done sooner than later.

I would love if Shero could pull off a deal and get Svechnikov or Athanasiou. Even with Savard's dead cap space they're still like 9 million under the cap floor, and the only notable player getting a payraise will be Palmieri, so they should still have plenty of cap space.

38 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

I would love if Shero could pull off a deal and get Svechnikov or Athanasiou. Even with Savard's dead cap space they're still like 9 million under the cap floor, and the only notable player getting a payraise will be Palmieri, so they should still have plenty of cap space.

And that is the rub as a Wing fan, by retiring to go play in Russia (Grrr, but I guess if anyone understands the frustration of this it is Devils fans, lol) he has absolutely screwed the Wings this year. We either take the hit and move on short ten percent of the cap or give up a Svechnikov or AA to get a team to take the hit. And what does that accomplish? If it nets us Stamkos then all is good, if instead we end up with the remains of Eric Staal and Rick Nash or some such, it is a dismal failure and the thought of watching Athanasiou starring for another club for the next decade so we can have two years of Eric Staal stumbling around the ice is less than palatable. Thanks Pavel. You really screwed us.

We are going to resign Miller but he is cheap, Helm, IMHO is gone as he hated playing for Blashill which I do not understand, he got middle six minutes and didnt deliver so of course his ice time was cut, but I digress.

There are holes on this team, a 1C and 2C and a puck moving D are the three biggies, this is a deep class of FA and all the holes could be filled if we can move out Datsyuk's contract.

Wow what a ridiculous rule. I understand the intent was to keep a team from manipulating the cap but this.... I do not have words fit to post to explain how the cap hit for a retired player makes me feel.

A rumor (granted it was in a fan zone so take it with a grain of salt) had the Wings dealing the husk of Datsyuk Athanasiou and a second rounder to the Coyotes for Martin Hanzal which in truth kind of makes sense for both teams. Hanzal wants out of the desert and is a big rugged center whose style means he misses 20 games a year with injuries but if he can ever stay healthy is capable of big things. It still comes down to trading AA which makes me sick but Hanzal at least would be a return on the deal and make it palatable.

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

A rumor (granted it was in a fan zone so take it with a grain of salt) had the Wings dealing the husk of Datsyuk Athanasiou and a second rounder to the Coyotes for Martin Hanzal which in truth kind of makes sense for both teams. Hanzal wants out of the desert and is a big rugged center whose style means he misses 20 games a year with injuries but if he can ever stay healthy is capable of big things. It still comes down to trading AA which makes me sick but Hanzal at least would be a return on the deal and make it palatable.

I'd take that deal.

Weren't there rumors about Datsyuk going to Russia back when they gave him his last extension? They had to know this was a possibility. It's not like Kovalchuk, who was 31 and only a couple years into a massive contract.

Archived