Yandle signs

As a Panther fan I will happily give up the 4th and 6th rd picks for him. I was surprised we made the move, as I didnt see why he would want to even negotiate when he can negotiate with every team soon, but liked the aggression from front office. Now I see why he wanted to talk! that is alot of money we threw at him, dont see anyone beating that. contract bit rich for my liking for sure, but were not in any cap trouble so not end of world. May haunt us in future, in fact id say highly likely it will, but we got a good dman. Can question how the team crying about paying Gudbranson 3.5, and turn around and pay Yandle nearly double. Different type players I know but still.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/sfl-panthers-sign-defenseman-keith-yandle-for-44-5-million-over-seven-years-20160622-story.html

Seven years, $44.5M

I like the player, but I don't like that contract. I don't think he quite lives up to NOW, let alone those last few years. Put me down for 3 years before the Panthers are trying to clear him from their books.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I like the player, but I don't like that contract. I don't think he quite lives up to NOW, let alone those last few years. Put me down for 3 years before the Panthers are trying to clear him from their books.

I thought the same with Campbell. 

But I'll go in for year 4 before they start shopping him

Jealous because his puck moving skills would be a perfect fit for the wings. Laughing with a sigh of relief because of the term and money involved. A one dimensional d-man (granted his one dimension, offense especially on the power play is very special) signed for that term is just to long and too much. The kids, Barkov, Trochek, Huberdeau and Ekblad will need to be paid in the next several years, now granted this team is usually near the floor but this is bound to change.

21 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Jealous because his puck moving skills would be a perfect fit for the wings. Laughing with a sigh of relief because of the term and money involved. A one dimensional d-man (granted his one dimension, offense especially on the power play is very special) signed for that term is just to long and too much. The kids, Barkov, Trochek, Huberdeau and Ekblad will need to be paid in the next several years, now granted this team is usually near the floor but this is bound to change.

With this team you can never count out being near cap floor. I hope not, but we've been through countless false promises about ownerships willingness to compete. If we stand pat, we will have to worry bout cap, but lets see if we dont unload a couple. I mean some of the contracts we have, or just got rid of, were here just to get us to floor pretty much. Cambell was here so long as no other team could really afford that salary for him. Loungo's contract makes him untradeable.

23 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I thought the same with Campbell. 

But I'll go in for year 4 before they start shopping him

Man that is a lot longer term than I would have thought, but they made up for it by offering too much IMHO :lol:.   For those saying look for him to get moved in three to four years, good luck finding a team willing to pick up a $6.5m CAP hit for a 33/34 year old D man with a no move clause.  That only happens if he exceeds the expectation of most people and his skills/speed does not diminish.

49 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Man that is a lot longer term than I would have thought, but they made up for it by offering too much IMHO :lol:.   For those saying look for him to get moved in three to four years, good luck finding a team willing to pick up a $6.5m CAP hit for a 33/34 year old D man with a no move clause.  That only happens if he exceeds the expectation of most people and his skills/speed does not diminish.

Dion Phaneuf?

11 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Dion Phaneuf?

That's just another one I can't fathom, he skates like a pylon now, I can't imagine him in four years.

I guess maybe the lesson is, you can always rely on there being a dumber GM to bail you out of your mistakes.

Archived