Is the dynasty over?

MrDanglez67

You can never count the Hawks out with Kane,Toews,Panarin,etc but do they have enough depth to legitimately compete for the cup in the next few years? Outside of Toews,Kane,Hossa and Panarin they really have no real good forwards as they've gotten rid of Ladd,Teravainen,Shaw,Sharp and saad over the last couple years. Also they have no solid prospects in their system or very little anyway. So the question is could this be the last year or two before the Hawks need to rebuild? Should they get rid of hossa and Keith while they still have value?

What do you guys think?

6 hours ago, MrDanglez67 said:

You can never count the Hawks out with Kane,Toews,Panarin,etc but do they have enough depth to legitimately compete for the cup in the next few years? Outside of Toews,Kane,Hossa and Panarin they really have no real good forwards as they've gotten rid of Ladd,Teravainen,Shaw,Sharp and saad over the last couple years. Also they have no solid prospects in their system or very little anyway. So the question is could this be the last year or two before the Hawks need to rebuild? Should they get rid of hossa and Keith while they still have value?

What do you guys think?

Last year I argued that the Hawks were not done, that they had enough in the tank, but not this year.

Kane will not be as good. He was easily the best forward in the game last season, do not look for that to happen again. Panarin? Have you heard of the sophomore jinx?

Shaw is gone. I have always stated he is one of the most overrated players in the game but as an average middle sixer, he was not replaced. Ladd, gone so quick that Chicago part Deux was over before it began. Weise, same thing.

Toews, Seabrook, Kane, Crawford and Keith are one hell of a core, one of the best in the game, but the supporting cast is the weakest over the past seven years. Hossa is eroding, Darling is awful as a backup in net, Campbell, the big free agent signee is like seventy years old.

The Wild made the postseason in the top heavy West with a paltry 87 points so it is possible and even probable the Hawks are going to make the playoffs as a lower end team, but their days as an elite team are likely done.

The Hawks probably aren't a "dynasty" in the truest sense, however, given how the NHL is structured salary-wise, and what they have and continue to accomplish, I'd say they are pretty damned close to one.

As for "their time is up"...well, as a Wild fan, I wouldn't mind them being punched a peg or two down the standings for a bit.

But who's gonna do it in the Central?

The Wild?  They have yet to prove they can be anything but a one and done or two and done team.

The Jets? Yea, sure, call me when they get some consistent scoring and maybe a goalie better than Pavelec.

Blues? Seriously?? :shifty:

Stars?  With Niemi and LetFourIn in goal taking up over 10M in cap space and their aversion to anything resembling defensive coverage, I doubt it.

Maybe a team out in the Pacific Division can consistently put an end to the Hawks' Cup appearances....but then, that would mean Chicago STILL gets to Western Finals at the very least....not too shabby for a team 'going downhill'.

Until they actually show real signs that they are a team in decline, I am not counting these guys out from being contenders year in, year out.

The Central division i still one of the toughest in the NHL, but unless a team or two in that division shows massive improvements (and I mean, Stanley Cup caliber improvements) and that is coupled with real evidence that Chicago is regressing, I think the Hawks' place among the elite will continue to be theirs to lose.

Like I said in another thread...the Hawks are like the Patriots of the NHL.

People will either love them, or hate them, they will lose players, yet they continue to win and/or ice competitive teams year in, year out....all the while detractors will keep talking about how they are 'done'....and those same naysayers will continue to do so, until about 10-15 years later, when the Hawks finally DO fall on hard times, they can say, "See, I knew it" :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Archived