Lightning 2016 Off Season Thus Far.....

Lightning Article Pic.jpg

Bolts reeled in their 'big fish' in Steven Stamkos, who took a surprising hometown discount (surprising to many outside the organization anyways) to stay on with the team that drafted him......and his best chance to win a Stanley Cup sooner rather than later.

8.5M cap hit over 8 years.....for a player of his caliber, 8.5M seems like a steal, and the term? Well, he is only 26. Barring some horrific injuries (or the blood clots being a factor), that shouldn't be a  problem either as he will only be 34 at the end of his contract.

Considering it was reported numbers like 10,11, and 12M per were floating around for him out in free agency, I'd say this is a definite "win" for Steve Yzerman, the organization, and the TB fanbase.

Then the Bolts went and locked up Victor Hedman for 8 years (he still has a 4M season left on his current deal), at a 7.9M cap hit.

Hedman, obviously, is the Bolts' #1 defenseman, drafted and developed by the organization, and many feel, his best years are still ahead of him as he is only 25 (26 in December) and JUST NOW, coming into his 'prime' as an NHL defender.

Braydon Coburn was signed to a team friendly 3 yr, 3.7M contract, giving TB a top four defense unit of Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Coburn for at least the next couple seasons while the younger D-men continue to round into form.

Andrei Vasilevskiy was given a 3 yr, 3.5M per contract extension (significant raise from his current 925K per contract), which kicks in after this upcoming season is over with.

Some role player extensions were handed out as well...

JT Brown, 2 yrs, 1.25M per....... Cedric Paquette, 2 yrs, 812K per..... Matt Taormina, (7th d-man type), 575K on a one year, two way contract.

And most recently, Alex Killorn, 7 years at 4.45M per.

I mentioned in the shoutbox that the 4.45M surprised me a bit....I thought 3-3.5M would have been enough to retain him (he made 2.7M per in his previous contract) and is a player, that while I think can do more, has yet to break the 20 goal mark in his NHL career and has peaked at just 40 points twice.

Huge, huge, HUGE move (other than keeping Stamkos and Hedman in the fold) was the buyout of one Mr. Matt Carle and his 5.5M per contract.

Clearing that away, combined with Stammer taking less to stay, certainly contributed to the Bolts being able to sign the players they did.

Still though, with about 8M left in cap space remaining for the upcoming season, the Bolts STILL have young defenseman Nikita Nesterov, forward Vladi Namestnikov, and the big one, Nikita Kucherov, still sitting as RFA's.

Sure would like the Bolts to keep all three, however, that won't be possible unless some other contracts were somehow moved out.

Possibly guys like Andrej Sustr (1yr, 1.5M left), Erik Condra (2yrs, 1.25M per left) and the big target here, Ben Bishop (1yr, 5.95M left) could be targets for trades?

Also, Valteri Filppula has two years left at 5M per left...though his contract is an airtight No Movement Type and the Lightning likely won't be able to do anything about that.

Then of course, AFTER this upcoming season, there is the matter of Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Jonathan Drouin, and Brian Boyle due new contracts...but that can be for another thread.

Overall, very happy with the Bolts' off season.

Now waiting with baited breath on how they will try to fit in their remaining key RFA's.

I am pretty sure Nikita Kucherov will be retained......but that could mean bye bye Namestnikov, Nesterov, and/or Ben Bishop.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Lightning Article Pic.jpg

Bolts reeled in their 'big fish' in Steven Stamkos, who took a surprising hometown discount (surprising to many outside the organization anyways) to stay on with the team that drafted him......and his best chance to win a Stanley Cup sooner rather than later.

8.5M cap hit over 8 years.....for a player of his caliber, 8.5M seems like a steal, and the term? Well, he is only 26. Barring some horrific injuries (or the blood clots being a factor), that shouldn't be a  problem either as he will only be 34 at the end of his contract.

Considering it was reported numbers like 10,11, and 12M per were floating around for him out in free agency, I'd say this is a definite "win" for Steve Yzerman, the organization, and the TB fanbase.

Then the Bolts went and locked up Victor Hedman for 8 years (he still has a 4M season left on his current deal), at a 7.9M cap hit.

Hedman, obviously, is the Bolts' #1 defenseman, drafted and developed by the organization, and many feel, his best years are still ahead of him as he is only 25 (26 in December) and JUST NOW, coming into his 'prime' as an NHL defender.

Braydon Coburn was signed to a team friendly 3 yr, 3.7M contract, giving TB a top four defense unit of Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Coburn for at least the next couple seasons while the younger D-men continue to round into form.

Andrei Vasilevskiy was given a 3 yr, 3.5M per contract extension (significant raise from his current 925K per contract), which kicks in after this upcoming season is over with.

Some role player extensions were handed out as well...

JT Brown, 2 yrs, 1.25M per....... Cedric Paquette, 2 yrs, 812K per..... Matt Taormina, (7th d-man type), 575K on a one year, two way contract.

And most recently, Alex Killorn, 7 years at 4.45M per.

I mentioned in the shoutbox that the 4.45M surprised me a bit....I thought 3-3.5M would have been enough to retain him (he made 2.7M per in his previous contract) and is a player, that while I think can do more, has yet to break the 20 goal mark in his NHL career and has peaked at just 40 points twice.

Huge, huge, HUGE move (other than keeping Stamkos and Hedman in the fold) was the buyout of one Mr. Matt Carle and his 5.5M per contract.

Clearing that away, combined with Stammer taking less to stay, certainly contributed to the Bolts being able to sign the players they did.

Still though, with about 8M left in cap space remaining for the upcoming season, the Bolts STILL have young defenseman Nikita Nesterov, forward Vladi Namestnikov, and the big one, Nikita Kucherov, still sitting as RFA's.

Sure would like the Bolts to keep all three, however, that won't be possible unless some other contracts were somehow moved out.

Possibly guys like Andrej Sustr (1yr, 1.5M left), Erik Condra (2yrs, 1.25M per left) and the big target here, Ben Bishop (1yr, 5.95M left) could be targets for trades?

Also, Valteri Filppula has two years left at 5M per left...though his contract is an airtight No Movement Type and the Lightning likely won't be able to do anything about that.

Then of course, AFTER this upcoming season, there is the matter of Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Jonathan Drouin, and Brian Boyle due new contracts...but that can be for another thread.

Overall, very happy with the Bolts' off season.

Now waiting with baited breath on how they will try to fit in their remaining key RFA's.

I am pretty sure Nikita Kucherov will be retained......but that could mean bye bye Namestnikov, Nesterov, and/or Ben Bishop.

I don't see how they let Kucherov go.

Being forced to use a protection spot on Filpula kinda sucks. but anyone with a NMC, however modified, is a forced protect.

51 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I don't see how they let Kucherov go.

Being forced to use a protection spot on Filpula kinda sucks. but anyone with a NMC, however modified, is a forced protect.

Yea, I know. And he has NO incentive to waive his no movement for this upcoming season. Why should he?

He is on a winning team, playing mostly top six minutes (though he has been moved to the 3rd line on occasion) and is getting paid well to be there.

I actually LIKE Filppula as a player, but just given the strong crop of younger players that need to get paid, I would be ok with the Bolts parting with him in order to retain them.

I believe, for instance, that Vladi Namestnikov can certainly replace Filppula on the roster. Sure, Namestnikov still isn't the face off guy, stick handler, and playmaker Filppula is, but he is getting there (and he plays a bit more physically).....plus his salary would be much more team friendly and conducive to signing other players than Valteri's 5M.

And of course, you are right...don't see how the Bolts can let Nikita Kucherov go.

I made a post some time way back about the Triplets...and in it, I hinted that of the three (Johnson, Palat, Kucherov), I thought Nikita NEEDED the other two to succeed and that he, in effect, was the 'weak link' and the Bolts could likely trade him and replace him.

Well, fast forward, and after seeing what Kucherov can do WITHOUT necessarily lining up with Palat or Johnson, and I am thinking I was dead wrong...he CAN produce on his own, he CAN make his linemates better, and yes, he CAN play with any other skilled forwards and not miss a beat.

I got it in my head now that if the Bolts want to keep both Kucherov and the aforementioned Vladi Namestnikov (whom I really like as well), then the guy to trade from the Triplets would be Tyler Johnson, and keep Kucherov AND Palat.

Why?

I believe Tyler Johnson, with one year left at 3.3M and RFA status after that, would likely being back the most to the Lightning.

He has a nice track record of performance that teams would likely find enticing and more likely to give up something of value, perhaps even good draft pick thrown in.

Palat had a bit of a down year last season and is a bit more "obscure" than Johnson, and likely wouldn't command the same return.

From the Bolts' point of view, Palat, previos bad season aside, represents a 'tougher' brand of hockey than Johnson, likely would NOT command as high a salary as Johnson would when his contract comes due (he currently is making the same 3.3M Johnson is), and fits much nicer as a top six wing, as opposed to Johnson's position at C (which the Bolts are very solid in at the moment), plus comparing the injury history between the two, Palat seems a bit more durable over the course of a season.

All speculation and opinion on my part of course...and make no mistake, I am NOT saying a guy like Tyler Johnson is simply expendable, but rather trying to figure out how the Bolts can best navigate their cap situation while trying to keep as many as their good young players as they can.

As an  organization, I definitely prefer having THIS kind of problem as opposed to having the problem of not having enough quality players.

And if somehow the Bolts could move Filppula's contract, then I think you KEEP Johnson and his Triplets linemates and find someway to squeeze Namestnikov in there as well.

But Valteri is there, he isn't going anywhere (at least for the next two seasons), and thus the Bolts are back to having to make some choices that likely sees a guy like Johnson, Namestnikov, or even Ben Bishop off the roster in the upcoming season.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

LOVE the offseason that your boys have had, in the day and age where teams regularly turn over 25 percent of their roster or more in a typical offseason, Yzerman instead of cleaning house did basic housekeeping instead, extending this guy, resigning that one, yes, they let Carle go (addition by subtraction) but nearly everyone else is back, not just for one year but for multiple years. And while the case could be made for moving Bishop, handing the reins over, he is in the last year of his deal and will bust his tail to show he deserves a big payday and is a bit of a lame duck.

They made the SCF two years ago, the ECF last year, they did not need major upheaval, the balance of power in the East is shifting to the South, both Florida teams are a force to be reckoned with using different management styles. Of the two, long term I love the way that the Bolts are doing it, the old Wings way, back when the Wings were good.

Killorn just resigned.

not sure about a 7 year 4.5 mill per season for a guy with Career high's of 40 and 41 points and 17 goals

He will either be a bargain or WTF in 2 years.

Starting to suspect we will see some casualties soon. Kucherov deserves a big raise to Mackinnon/Scheifele money. Johnson and Palat up for raises next year too, to say nothing of my boy Drouin if he continues to explode. Bishop MUST be a goner soon.

I guess a better question now is which 3 Dmen get protected? Hedman and Stralman for certain. Garrison and Coburn are over 30. Sustr? But he seemed to step back this past season.....

On 7/17/2016 at 5:07 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

Killorn just resigned.

not sure about a 7 year 4.5 mill per season for a guy with Career high's of 40 and 41 points and 17 goals

He will either be a bargain or WTF in 2 years.

Starting to suspect we will see some casualties soon. Kucherov deserves a big raise to Mackinnon/Scheifele money. Johnson and Palat up for raises next year too, to say nothing of my boy Drouin if he continues to explode. Bishop MUST be a goner soon.

I guess a better question now is which 3 Dmen get protected? Hedman and Stralman for certain. Garrison and Coburn are over 30. Sustr? But he seemed to step back this past season.....

Yea, I mentioned in my post being surprised by the AAV for Killorn simply due to the fact that he hasn't done more than 40 points more than twice or 20 goals, well, ever.

The term not so much, because Alex Killorn IS the kind of player any team will always like to have on the team: quiet, unassuming, can play any role on any line you want, can grind if need be or can play with the top six guys, etc....

So if you are the Bolts and you have a guy like that, why let him walk only to have to go looking for another versatile player like him?

But back to the AAV...my thinking is this: Killorn has played more and more with Steve Stamkos' top line the last 2 or 3 seasons. Coincidentally, the last three seasons of his, while not blowing anyone away, have been his best.

So therefore, I expect the Bolts to have Killorn as Stamkos' REGULAR winger (assuming of course, Coach Jon Cooper plays the smart card and KEEPS Stammer at C), and I think the Lightning expect Killorn to expand on the 40'ish point seasons he has had the last three.

At almost 4 and a half mil, that's a big gamble, I know.....but Stamkos is the kind of player that makes others on his line better, and I think Killorn should benefit greatly from being his regular winger.

Still doesn't mean Killorn won't see time on other lines, but a guy like Stamkos is at his best when he has at the very least ONE regular linemate (two, obviously is ideal), and he really has not had that since Martin St. Louis was traded.

That linemate would have to be skilled, would have to be able to skate and would have to be able to get him the puck, or receive the puck from Stamkos at any given moment...Alex Killorn, I believe, does all that.

As for the D-men protected situation, you are right, Hedman and Stralman are no brainers. I am hoping, to be honest, that that THIRD protected defenseman is Nikita Nesterov.

He is still sitting as an RFA (more on him on my next post), but I believe he has the makings of a very good defenseman, one in the mold of a Jason Garrison.

And if the Bolts were to lose Garrison or Coburn to the expansion draft, it wouldn't mean the end of the world as I believe the Bolts have a nice collection of D-men in their pipeline and some that may be ready sooner than later beyond just Nesterov.

I would NOT use up a protection spot on Andrej Sustr....he isn't terrible and I wouldn't mind if he stays on the team, but honestly, I think he plays well below what his size and reach indicate he should be playing at.

He isn't particularly offensively gifted, but doesn't always play the best defense nor use his size like you'd think he would.

I have been on his bandwagon since the Bolts brought him up, but even I am starting to see now that he is, at best a bottom pair D, who is best suited for a team that has a solid top 4 already, and just need a big guy to log some minutes without being exposed defensively.

He fits that role on the Lightning right now (well, as long as there are no signifcant injuries on defense), but like I said, I think the Bolts just have too many other D-men knocking at the door for the team to worry too much about losing Sustr to expansion.

Unsigned RFA Nikita Nesterov.

From the Lightning's website:

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=889682

Also, from the Hockey Writers:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nikita-nesterov-to-replace-voynov-for-russia-at-world-cup/

Nesterov will be playing in place of LA's Slava Voynov on team Russia in the upcoming World Cup.

I think this is good for him. Nesterov turned just 23 back in March and already believe he is almost at the point of being an NHL regular. He reminds me alot of a Jason Garrison "lite".....meaning, he has a heck of a shot from the point, seems to be able to see the ice and his teammates very well from the blue line, and like Jason Garrison, seems quite strong on his skates, and has an underrated physical game that belies his standard 5'11, 195 pound build....all the while being able to skate quite well with his very fast Lightning teammates.

I really hope Nesterov does well at the World Cup and show the Lightning that they really SHOULD invest in him long term.

Nesterov made just under 800K last season, and I am willing to bet, that with a good showing, he can parlay that into a pretty good raise...and something that would be team friendly as well....to something in the neighborhood of a 3 or 4 year contract worth about 1.2-1.5M per.

I know the Bolts still have Nikita Kucherov and Vladi Namestnikov to try and sign (and as mentioned already, Kucherov really should be a no brainer re-sign), but Nesterov should be factored in there somewhere...especially if he shows the progress I think he can while playing for Team Russia.

Not sure how I missed this, but this was from almost a week ago...

Cory Conacher is back in the fold as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

From the Hockey Writers:

http://thehockeywriters.com/cory-conacher-returns-to-lightning-signs-one-year-contract/

Nothing crazy, no grand delusions of "Being a Bolt for life" or a guy coming in to put the Lightning over the top...but a simple one year, NHL only, 575K contract so he can show whether he can stick in the NHL once again.

Interesting that the Bolts get Conacher back at a time when it is possible Ben Bishop may be on his way out (either via a trade or having him play out his final year then walking), due to cap restraints.

As everyone knows, Conacher was traded to the Sens along with a draft pick FOR Ben Bishop...a deal made with the Ottawa Senators.

And at the time, some thought Yzerman was off his rocker, giving up a speedy scoring winger (well, Conacher seemed that at the time) for an unproven big goalie who was bouncing around the NHL.

Obviously, time has proven Yzerman made the RIGHT decision, as Bishop has been gold for the Bolts while Conacher has found his way out of the NHL...until now.

If Conacher has learned anything or has anything left, now is the time for him to show it. If not, then it is a 575K risk that was worth taking and the Bolts can just move on.

Glad to see him back, personally, as I DID like him before he was traded...however, I will temper my excitement a bit until I see what he can actually contribute on the ice.

So with Bishop, Nesterov, Namestnikov and Kucherov all to be signed it seems someone has to go with only about 8.5mill to go.

Maybe now would be a great time to move Bishop if they plan on going with Vasilevsky after the expansion draft.

Not sure who you'd take back or even where he could/would go now.

So interesting navigating coming up for Yzerman.......

...ok after looking around you would need a guy who is at least signed for next year too so that goalie could be exposed for expansion draft so there aren't a lot of options with teams who still need starters and who have guys they could move who are under contract for the following year.

So i come up with Niemi sure i know you wouldn't want him exactly but hear me out....you get two things a guy who is signed for the next two years @4.5 mill and i can't see you resigning Bishop for this and the Stars need a starter badly.

And you could get some good pieces and/or picks back. They have some good pieces they can move. Any how just thinking aloud on a slow day.

I found this on the topic i just discussed in my last post just thought i'd share it......

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-the-latest-on-the-remaining-notable-ufas/

LIGHTNING MAY NEED TO MAKE A TRADE TO SIGN RFAs

Entering this week, the Tampa Bay Lightning still haven’t re-signed restricted free agent forwards Nikita Kucherov, Vladislav Namestnikov and defenseman Nikita Nesterov. It’s expected GM Steve Yzerman could make a trade to free up some salary-cap space to retain the trio, especially Kucherov. The 23-year-old sniper could receive over $6 million annually on a long-term deal.

Goaltender Ben Bishop ($5.9-million salary-cap hit), forward Valtteri Filppula ($5-million annually) and defenseman Jason Garrison ($4.6 million) were mentioned as possible trade candidates. They’re not the only ones, however, who could hit the trade block.

CBS Sports’ Chris Peters suggests Ryan Callahan could be among those Lightning players who should be on alert. SI.com’s Allan Muir, meanwhile, believes blueliner Braydon Coburn could attract some interest.

Callahan, 31, is entering the third season of a six-year, $34.6-million contract with an annual average salary of $5.8 million. However, he carries a full no-movement clause and is recuperating from recent hip surgery, which adversely affects his trade value.

Muir suggests the New Jersey Devils, Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Edmonton Oilers and Colorado Avalanche as teams in need of defensive help who could benefit from the addition of the 31-year-old Coburn. However, he admits moving his contract won’t be easy.

Coburn is starting the first season of a three-year deal worth $3.7-million per season. While healthier and more affordable than Callahan, he has a full no-trade clause. If he won’t waive it, Yzerman will have to look elsewhere for trade options.

...so another perspective....

That Hockey News article's speculation is all fine n dandy.....but good luck to Yzerman trying to get Callahan and Filppula to waive their NMC's.

Really, why should they? They are on aCup-ready program in Tampa Bay (one THEY helped to create) and have no real reason to waive their NMC's to possibly go somewhere where a rebuild is going on or where the team isn't Cup ready.

I'd LOVE for the Bolts to be able to move Filppula. I think his role and minutes can be replaced by some others in the lineup....though I'd still like to keep Callahan as he provides a nice package of scoring, physical play, and leadership that isn't as prevalent in any single player the Bolts have.

Yes, Callahan is injury prone (mostly due to the style he plays), but on top of all the things mentioned about him, he has pretty good chemistry with Stamkos when he is lined up with him.

Ben Bishop also has a NMC...and if he isn't willing waive that, not much the Bolts can do there...although I DID read elsewhere, that the Lightning may be willing to hang on to Ben Bishop because they feel he can help them win NOW, and run the risk of losing him for nothing after this season, after which, Andrei Vasilevskiy could take over full time.

Coburn's NMC? Same deal as Cally and Filppula: he has no real incentive to waive. He obviously took less money to stay because he wants to win with TB.

The way I see it (and yes, I realize I am not a GM or player agent and I am probably over simplifying), the Bolts have 8.5M of cap space left, right?

And this is assuming the Bolts can't get Callahan, Filppula, Coburn or Bishop to waive their NMC/No trades...

If Kucherov's value is about 6M, there ya go....8.5M - 6M leaves 2.5M left.

Still have Nesterov and Namestnikov left....so therefore:

Trade Andrej Sustr and his 1.45M contract, and you give that money to Nesterov, who takes Sustr's spot full time on the roster and gets a raise from his 792K to just over what Sustr was making..say 1.5M per....

Now...with that 2.5M still available, Yzerman has a couple options:

--- Give Vladi Namestnikov a raise from his 925K last season to, oh, say around 1.25-1.5M on a three year "show me" contract, leaving around 1M left in Cap.

or

--- Trade Tyler Johnson (yes, I said trade Johnson!), who should carry nice value and provide a pretty good return, free up the 3.3M he currently occupies (raising the available Cap to 5.7M), keep Namestnikov, give him the aforementioned raise, and go Stamkos-Filppula-Namestnikov-Boyle as the Centers down the middle on the four lines.

Then if the Bolts want to free up a bit more money to give themselves room at the trade deadline, maybe they can trade a contract like Erik Condra (1.25M, 2 seasons left) for mid to late round draft picks, or even Cedric Paquette, though he is a more useful player than Condra, and is only at 812K.

I think everyone under the sun KNEW that keeping Steve Stamkos, Victor Hedman, and looking ahead to other contracts coming due next year, meant someone of value would need to be given up (not to mention, you need bodies to expose to the Expansion Draft).....Tyler Johnson, unfortunately, and IMO, looks to be that guy you trade in order to keep your core together and be able to sign other guys, post-Stamkos.

• 2 months later...

Archived