Vermette finds perfect home

yave1964

th?&id=OIP.Mc9e61f909ff98d75c73fc02a2962Talk about the perfect signing.

Antoine Vermette was let go after the free agent frenzy by the Coyotes, kind of a jerk move really, Vermette has performed admireably in two tours of duty with Hockey's version of the French Foreign Legion and in spite of that they bought him out in the first week of August after most teams had long since spent to their limit.

Vermette has long been a favorite of mine, one of the best faceoff men in the game, he plays well at both ends of the ice and never takes a shift off, he has been miscast in recent years as a 1C or 2C having played for the past eight years mostly with the moribund Jacket and Coyote organizations, other than a brief respite with the Hawks in 2015 in which he won a cup. He is a perfect 3C, he can score, he has scored over 20 goals in a year 4 times and has peaked at 65 points, and his defense and faceoff ability are right up there with anyone.

In Aanaheim, he can slot into the natural 3C role that best suits him at this stage of his career, behind the rugged Getzlaf and Kesler. As of now from what I read he will play on a line with the gifted but enigmatic Jacob Silferberg and Nick Ritchie, a young kid with loads of upside. Secondary scoring should absolutely not be a problem for the Ducks this season.

Great under the radar late signing.

23 hours ago, yave1964 said:

th?&id=OIP.Mc9e61f909ff98d75c73fc02a2962Talk about the perfect signing.

Antoine Vermette was let go after the free agent frenzy by the Coyotes, kind of a jerk move really, Vermette has performed admireably in two tours of duty with Hockey's version of the French Foreign Legion and in spite of that they bought him out in the first week of August after most teams had long since spent to their limit.

Vermette has long been a favorite of mine, one of the best faceoff men in the game, he plays well at both ends of the ice and never takes a shift off, he has been miscast in recent years as a 1C or 2C having played for the past eight years mostly with the moribund Jacket and Coyote organizations, other than a brief respite with the Hawks in 2015 in which he won a cup. He is a perfect 3C, he can score, he has scored over 20 goals in a year 4 times and has peaked at 65 points, and his defense and faceoff ability are right up there with anyone.

In Aanaheim, he can slot into the natural 3C role that best suits him at this stage of his career, behind the rugged Getzlaf and Kesler. As of now from what I read he will play on a line with the gifted but enigmatic Jacob Silferberg and Nick Ritchie, a young kid with loads of upside. Secondary scoring should absolutely not be a problem for the Ducks this season.

Great under the radar late signing.

He played pretty bad for them last year by all accounts. most Yotes fans were not sad to see him go. They were a bit WTF, but not sad

20 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

He played pretty bad for them last year by all accounts. most Yotes fans were not sad to see him go. They were a bit WTF, but not sad

The problem, as I see it was:

He is a 3c, forced to play one line over his head. And after Hanzal did his usual disappearing act, Vermette was forced into a 1C role with a bunch of inexperienced kids. He is not a 1C, on a bad team he could in a stretch be a 2C. In Anaheim he will slot into the natural role for him, behind Getzlaf and Kesler. He is a faceoff monster, defensive zone faceoffs will be his forte with the team and he will be great in that role which suits him best. In fact, when Nate Thompson returns a couple of months into the season, the foursome down the middle might be the best in the game to go with a solid bunch on defense. I am very concerned about the depth on the wing, hence the rumors of Fowler going somewhere are still alive, if they add a winger or two this team will be the class of the West.

On 8/15/2016 at 3:09 PM, yave1964 said:

Antoine Vermette was let go after the free agent frenzy by the Coyotes

Maybe the Yotes had their plans set on Vrbata instead?  

Vermette's contract is rather interesting as it contains a NTC that ends before the expansion draft.

Archived