Coyotes hire First the Female Coach in the NHL

hf101

The Arizona Coyotes made history on Wednesday in their announcement of three new hires to the coaching staff.

Along with naming former NHLer Mike Van Ryn as Development Coach and Steve Potvin as Skills Coach, the Coyotes also hired Dawn Braid as the franchise’s full-time Skating Coach.

Braid is now the first woman to be hired to coach full-time in NHL history.

“It’s something that I’ve wanted to see happen,” Braid said. “The fact that they respect what I do enough to name me as a full-time coach, or to name me as the first female coach in the NHL, I take a ton of pride in that. I’ve worked very hard for this opportunity. It’s been going on for years and I just look forward to going even further with it.”

Braid is no stranger to working with in the NHL. She was actually in a part-time role last season with Arizona and has previously consulted with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Anaheim Ducks, Buffalo Sabres and Calgary Flames.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coyotes-make-historic-hire-in-naming-dawn-braid-as-skating-coach-000805587.html

Full time skating coaches seem to be the new focus with NHL teams to improve player performance.  Good for Braid, good for the NHL.

Well, good for her!

As long as she can do the job she was hired for, gender shouldn't matter here at all.

And yes, brand new world we live in when pro hockey teams invest full time in positions not really  looked at in years past.

Analytics guys have started to trickle in and have even become mainstays with some clubs, and now other positions like skating coaches....anything to get the edge over the competition!

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

brand new world we live in when pro hockey teams invest full time in positions not really  looked at in years past.

Which the fans pay for through higher ticket prices.  :(

Next up: a group of assistants for the skating coach!  At least five or six per team... obviously!  Pay them each a million per year to hold pylons, arrange pucks, and blow whistles. Yes!!!!:5726b5f6a27ed_anidea: 

Sorry, I'll be more positive. (Ahem.) Congratulations! I am thrilled! :thumbsu:

16 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, good for her!

As long as she can do the job she was hired for, gender shouldn't matter here at all.

And yes, brand new world we live in when pro hockey teams invest full time in positions not really  looked at in years past.

Analytics guys have started to trickle in and have even become mainstays with some clubs, and now other positions like skating coaches....anything to get the edge over the competition!

That's exactly it. The only capped by the league are player salaries. Staff? Facilities? There's where the wealthier teams can get something done.

3 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Barb Underhill has been a skating coach with the Leafs for years, and I believe she wasn't the first female skating coach either.

But, congratulations anyway! :5726ba4ad74b2_blowingakiss:

Is that why the Leafs keep going in circles?  jk  :P

I think the difference is others like Underhill haven't obtained that full time position with any team.

Archived