Miller over Markstrom?

no1sjsharksfan

1549.png&w=350&h=254

Early this month, Canucks said that Ryan Miller would be their number one goalie this season. Is this a wise choice? Jacob Markstrom had a pretty good season last year, with a nearly identical stat line as Miller, but... Ryan Miller is 36 and only under contract for 2016-2017. Wouldn't you want to give the younger guy who is going to stick around more playing time? Maybe a 1A/1B type of role? If Miller and Markstrom going to post the same stats (Miller 0.916/2.78, Markstrom 0.915/2.73), it makes more sense to let Markstrom build upon a strong season.

19 hours ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

1549.png&w=350&h=254

Early this month, Canucks said that Ryan Miller would be their number one goalie this season. Is this a wise choice? Jacob Markstrom had a pretty good season last year, with a nearly identical stat line as Miller, but... Ryan Miller is 36 and only under contract for 2016-2017. Wouldn't you want to give the younger guy who is going to stick around more playing time? Maybe a 1A/1B type of role? If Miller and Markstrom going to post the same stats (Miller 0.916/2.78, Markstrom 0.915/2.73), it makes more sense to let Markstrom build upon a strong season.

Actually, I don't think it will really matter.  Markstrom is again going to have to earn his playing time early in the season and I don't think he has an easy task either as the Canucks are likely to be bottom feeders in the NHL ranks this year.  I do see both goalies getting about 50 -50 in starts as the season comes to a close.  This is a team that needs to continue in a rebuild and I think the goalie for their future is Thatcher Demko.

At 36 chances are Miller will spend time on the IR this season too, Markstrom will need to take full advantage to earn the starting role.

On 9/23/2016 at 7:39 AM, hf101 said:

Actually, I don't think it will really matter.  Markstrom is again going to have to earn his playing time early in the season and I don't think he has an easy task either as the Canucks are likely to be bottom feeders in the NHL ranks this year.  I do see both goalies getting about 50 -50 in starts as the season comes to a close.  This is a team that needs to continue in a rebuild and I think the goalie for their future is Thatcher Demko.

At 36 chances are Miller will spend time on the IR this season too, Markstrom will need to take full advantage to earn the starting role.

I agree with you on Demko. Great college player. Probably still a few years out, though. Markstrom has four years left on his contract. I would image he will be the guy after Miller is done this season for a few years. Markstrom might be the backup to Demko before long.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Just release him Vancouver.  Let him come back here to lead us to the promised land

I think you also need to tell his wife to release him and let him go back to Buffalo.

She hates it there and is on record as referring to BUF as a toilet or a dumpster, I can't recall which one. If I remember correctly one of the members here had an article about her feelings for Buffalo. ?

22 hours ago, Samifan said:

I think you also need to tell his wife to release him and let him go back to Buffalo.

She hates it there and is on record as referring to BUF as a toilet or a dumpster, I can't recall which one. If I remember correctly one of the members here had an article about her feelings for Buffalo. ?

Send the titty woman to Yemen

Archived