Some Oilers Are a Nightmare

Parture

I just turned on the game.  It's early yet lots of time to still get the victory.

I don't think all of the Oilers problems have all been solved in the off season without correcting issues during the season. 

Buffalo may have gotten off to the quick start, but as you can see, the Oilers simply are better tuned in offensively.

With all the injuries the Sabres have (along with lots of youth) it will take some time for them to figure out where their goals will be coming from regularly

As for Edmonton, well, they too will have some acclimating to do, but from the looks of it, they are doing it rather quickly.

I also noticed Milan Lucic do something he has always done all too well....that is bully around Buffalo Sabres players.. :lol:

Having lots of youth that are still learning to win is a common problem for NHL teams. The Oilers are no different.

So while they may look good, they are still gonna do some stuff that may drive fans crazy.

But I think they are finally on a good track ever since making the much needed management and coaching changes.

I say, be patient with certain players, and after a time, then you will be able to see who really needs to be deemed "a nightmare" and who just needed some more time to grow.

2 minutes ago, Parture said:

Klefbom didn't get to -31 by being a good player. Nurse is already at -19.

My complaint is towards the defense mostly, namely Klefbom and Nurse by their numbers.

Oh, absolutely.

Klefblom can carry some of the blame for that horrible stat.

However, the Oilers as a team just have not been a very defensively sound team......not the least of which has been the result of poor goaltending.

IMO, +/- is not a stat you can just pin on any one player. It is more of a team thing, even though yes, individual players do their part to contribute or hinder that...some more than others.

Klefblom is also a young players learning to play a position at the NHL level that just isn't easy to do.

Usually why most D-men don't come into their 'playing primes' till their late 20's while forwards come around quicker in general.

See, but now the Oil have better direction from management, seem to have a better defensive structure, better players, and better goaltending.

See what happens moving forward.

Klefblom may NOT work out in the long haul.

But patience is still warranted here I think.

I never realized this about Adam Larsson on the Devils, but he seems to have a bit of a nasty edge to him out there.

Maybe its just this game, but he just seems to want to plow through Buffalo players and even after whistles shoves his way through some of the opposing players.

Definitely finishing his checks as well.

Maybe that Hall trade wasn't so crazy after all...

-Pouliot can definitely drive you crazy with the penalties he can take. Part of it is because he forechecks so much and so constantly, thus why so many are offensive-zone calls. Creates turnovers, but can also get him whistled down. Still, it can be frustrating.

-I take a contrary position to others here, re: Klefbom (brutal giveaway tonight notwithstanding). He is already a useful NHL defenseman. Most of his teammates have higher GF/60, lower GA/60, and lower CA/60. He's not their problem on the blueline.

-The Hall trade wasn't crazy, but the Oilers paid in full and then some.

Wow...here's a "nightmare" for an Oiler: Cam Talbot having trouble with fluky point shots and deflections.

4-2 Sabres and on that last goal, not sure there was a whole lot Talbot could have done...although it DID look like there may have been too many Oilers down low leaving the points wide open.

Goal is under review however...possible high stick

1 minute ago, Parture said:

It's a night of screw-ups.

As I said to my wife, "This is so Oilers."

They came out with 2 strong games to begin the season, and then crap the bed against a banged up team they should beat. Who knows, they could win this one yet, but it's not been a great performance so far.

People say +/- doesn't matter so much but the 5th goal was all Nurse. His -2 so far on the night is all his own doing.

I have had it with Nurse. I don't think he is going to get better.

He is now -3 on the season in just 3 games. Send him down to the AHL and let Klef know he is not far behind.

We had 3 goals against the Oilers because of Klefbom and Nurse. They lost it for us and made winning unreachable.

Bring in Benning and Fayne to replace them.

2 minutes ago, Parture said:

People say +/- doesn't matter so much but the 5th goal was all Nurse. His -2 so far on the night is all his own doing.

I have had it with Nurse. I don't think he is going to get better.

He is now -3 on the season in just 3 games. Send him down to the AHL and let Klef know he is not far behind.

My problem with +/- is simply that it's such a blunt instrument when it comes to dissecting defense/offense/etc, and does a poor job of providing context. There are better measures.

Re: Nurse. I'm on record around as not believing that he's a certainty to develop the way the Oilers seem to feel that he will. He was overmatched to an extreme extent last year, and I think it's a big issue going forward.

By the way, the 6th goal by Sabers was Klefbom's fault, left his man wide open.

So of the 6 goals, 2 were the fault of Nurse, 2 were the fault of Klefbom.

And Gryba does his usual thing of getting a penalty but his +/- looks good because he is not on the ice during the powerplay against the Oilers.

Well guys, look at the bright side:

The game is ugly, the Oil are being smacked 6-2...but they ARE showing some frustration and fire about it.

In years past, perhaps the Oilers simply "accept" the game as a loss, par the course, but not this year it seems, and in the long run, that will pay off.

Guys that are very irritated when they lose tend to ultimately pull together and do much better next time around.

Dem growing pains....saw this with Tampa Bay not too long ago.

Oilers will be fine this year, methinks. 

1 minute ago, Parture said:

And Gryba does his usual thing of getting a penalty but his +/- looks good because he is not on the ice during the powerplay against the Oilers.

Well, yeah. You don't get a minus for GA during the PK.

Archived