Lindholm signs 6 years 31.5 million dollars

yave1964

Hampus Lindholm isImage result for hampus lindholm finally in the fold.

Lindholm has held out/been unsigned mostly because of the lack of cap room to get a deal done, rumors have floated for some time that the Ducks were going to have to move a piece or two out with fellow blueliner Cam Fowler being the hot topic for a trade all summer and into the season as the Ducks simply did not have enough money to get a deal done, but today they managed to th?&id=OIF.OAFDmRllDT7lNZxGDOG6Eg&w=300&sign Lindholm, a very underrated two way d-man to a deal with an average cap hit of 5.25 million.

It is complicated but to make it happen, they had to:

Send Clayton Stoner, a solid number 6/7 d-man to the minors and eat his contract there.

Place backup goalie Bernier on IR and recall Tokarski for a smaller cap hit.

And long term underrated 3rd/4th line center Nate Thompson.

The Ducks have struggled mightily to open the year before last nights victory they were 2-3-2 with only 15 goals in 7 games while giving up 18, getting the teams most complete defenseman back in the lineup was critical.

1 minute ago, SpikeDDS said:

@yave1964

How do you think this will affect the Cam Fowler lottery?

My opinion:

The Ducks offense has been just barely tepid this year (until last night when they stomped all over Rinne, anyway). Last year the offense was no better, they were a one line, occasionally a two line team and that was about it.

If that continues and all signs point towards more of the same, sooner or later they are going to have to add skill forwards to the top nine, likely a top six winger allowing Rakell to slot down with Kesler on the second line and another middle six forward. They now have absolutely zero cap room. None. Last season they tried to fix the forward lines on the cheap and on the fly, Perron, McGinn and Pirri, none really worked out and all are gone.

Rakell is a skilled forward who like Lindholm held out, he signed a couple of weeks ago but was held up in Sweden due to a work visa issue, he is practicing with the team but they have him on IR supposedly recovering from an ankle injury but the truth is they do not have the cap space to get him in the lineup.

So a Fowler deal to the Wings for Mantha would fix so much of what ails the Ducks, Rakell would find his injured ankle mysteriously healed and would be activated and he along with Mantha would fix their forward line situation. The Ducks Would save enough money to keep Bernier and not have to go with the slug Tokarski as a backup to a kid in net.

Do I think Fowler is going to be dealt? Yes, I really do, my best guess is the Rangers who are long in the tooth on the back end and deeper than any team in the league in top nine forwards. After watching Yandle and Boyle move on last season, they even have the cap space to make a deal happen. Still holding out hope for the Motown boys tho.

@yave1964

I'm with ya. Problem is that I don't see us being successful on the Trouba front, because we don't have what they want. And since we probably aren't in as good a position as the Rangers are, I'm wondering if we come up empty, at least for now. Maybe the deadline might give us something to consider.

42 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

So a Fowler deal to the Wings for Mantha would fix so much of what ails the Ducks..They would save enough money to keep Bernier and not have to go with the slug Tokarski as a backup to a kid in net.

So the Ducks would rather trade Fowler in order to keep Bernier in net, rather than trade Bernier to the Kings, which is likely doable?

41 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

So the Ducks would rather trade Fowler in order to keep Bernier in net, rather than trade Bernier to the Kings, which is likely doable?

No, GOD no. Not saying that at all. What I am saying is:

Rakell is signed but cannot be activated due to cap room, especially now that Lindholm is signed. The team has a ton of defense and some promising kids on the back end such as Theodore as well.

Trading Fowler for a young kid such as Buchnvich in New York or Mantha in Detroit allows for two top nine forwards to plug into one of the leagues most anemic offenses, Buchnevich or Mantha and Rakell as it allows the cap relief to get Rakell who was pretty damn good last season into the lineup. The whole Bernier thing, I was getting wordy and shortened what I was trying to say, Bernier is a solid if unspectacular goalie who would certainly be a better safety net for Gibson than anyone else they currently have.

Sol moving Fowler A) fixes the forward lines and B) allows a vet goalie to protect the kid remain. Some move absolutely will happen this year, I believe it will be sooner than later and wil involve Fowler. I know that Boston is in the running for him as well and with kids such as Pastrnak and more could work out a similar deal.

I would love to see local boy Fowler in Detroit but the truth is we do not have the cap space to make it happen without moving salary out which is why I hpe and pray that Howard continues his hot start and we can dump him on the Kings, even if it means eating a large portion of his salary to free up the money to go after Fowler or Trouba. I think the Jets are in it for the long haul with Trouba unless they get exactly what they want so it leaves Fowler, even with the signing of Lindholm I still think a deal will happen. If I was a betting man on where Fowler will be in the next month it would be:

New York

Boston

Detroit

In that order.

14 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

No, GOD no. Not saying that at all. What I am saying is:

Rakell is signed but cannot be activated due to cap room, especially now that Lindholm is signed. The team has a ton of defense and some promising kids on the back end such as Theodore as well.

Trading Fowler for a young kid such as Buchnvich in New York or Mantha in Detroit allows for two top nine forwards to plug into one of the leagues most anemic offenses, Buchnevich or Mantha and Rakell as it allows the cap relief to get Rakell who was pretty damn good last season into the lineup. The whole Bernier thing, I was getting wordy and shortened what I was trying to say, Bernier is a solid if unspectacular goalie who would certainly be a better safety net for Gibson than anyone else they currently have.

Sol moving Fowler A) fixes the forward lines and B) allows a vet goalie to protect the kid remain. Some move absolutely will happen this year, I believe it will be sooner than later and wil involve Fowler. I know that Boston is in the running for him as well and with kids such as Pastrnak and more could work out a similar deal.

I would love to see local boy Fowler in Detroit but the truth is we do not have the cap space to make it happen without moving salary out which is why I hpe and pray that Howard continues his hot start and we can dump him on the Kings, even if it means eating a large portion of his salary to free up the money to go after Fowler or Trouba. I think the Jets are in it for the long haul with Trouba unless they get exactly what they want so it leaves Fowler, even with the signing of Lindholm I still think a deal will happen. If I was a betting man on where Fowler will be in the next month it would be:

New York

Boston

Detroit

In that order.

Understood.

Re: the Trouba thing - I agree. Since the Jets are unlikely to get exactly what they need/want (a LH top 4 D-man), they are definitely in it for the long haul. Does Trouba want to take a whole year off hockey at his age? Seems like a bad idea development-wise..... 

• 1 month later...

I dunno. Far be it for me to cut up an ex Spit, but I don't like a lot of aspects of his game. He's a little better in real life than fantasy, but he's a lot of flash, no real substance. He's a poor mans Jake Garndier, and I'm not a big fan of Jake's either. Year aft year, this guy is on the top pp with Getzlaf and Perry and rarely gets a pp point, it's maddening. He's just ok in his own zone. He's not great at lugging the puck up the ice, just meh ok in that skill. I lot like Matt Carle, who is older, same skill set and now out of the league.

EDIT, if I'm Detroit, I call on Washington and see if Orvlov is available, you lose some offense, gain some toughness and play in your own end, and Orlov is a nice skater. Always liked his game. He comes to play, someone you can count on when the sledding gets tough.

Archived