Goalies and Vegas Draft

King Knut

Sorry for being late to the party if this has been done and over-discussed, but I'm wondering what the general thinking on what Rutherford will be doing with the goalies come the Vegas draft.

As it stands now, they'll have to protect Fleury and leave Murray exposed (as he has 3 years pro experience including S/W) which would be a no brainer for the Vegas team to take Murray right away.

Clearly this isn't something the Penguins will be interested in happening, but they're not allowed to protect them both and they are required to protect Fleury because of the NMC.

So where does that leave things?  Can Rutherford trade Fleury to a team Fleury is okay with before the end of the season?  Seems like the only way out.

Barring that, it would make sense to trade Murray and at least get something for a Cup winning Goalie of the future while you can rather than losing him for squat later.

What's the general thinking on this?

40 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Sorry for being late to the party if this has been done and over-discussed, but I'm wondering what the general thinking on what Rutherford will be doing with the goalies come the Vegas draft.

As it stands now, they'll have to protect Fleury and leave Murray exposed (as he has 3 years pro experience including S/W) which would be a no brainer for the Vegas team to take Murray right away.

Clearly this isn't something the Penguins will be interested in happening, but they're not allowed to protect them both and they are required to protect Fleury because of the NMC.

So where does that leave things?  Can Rutherford trade Fleury to a team Fleury is okay with before the end of the season?  Seems like the only way out.

Barring that, it would make sense to trade Murray and at least get something for a Cup winning Goalie of the future while you can rather than losing him for squat later.

I think they will try and get Fleury to waive his NTC and deal him for whatever they can get. If he refuses then I think they hang onto Murray for another playoff run (they are the defending champs after all) and let the chips fall in the offseason.

Its quite the conundrum.   I think most Pens fans would rather sacrifice Fleury and keep Murray seeing how well Murray is playing at this early age.   In most instances, he would be called the their goalie of the future. But this is not a normal year.  

5 hours ago, notfondajane said:

I think flyercanuck might be closest to the truth! If Fleury doesn't waive his no trade clause, I believe J.R is going to try and swing a deal to were Vegas would not take Murray. I'm hoping Fleury goes! (Who doesn't know that!)

I'm stunned!:lol:

On 11/14/2016 at 10:48 AM, King Knut said:

Well, they CAN protect both, not saying it will happen or if it would even be wise, but you pay a dear price roster wise if you choose to protect 2 goalies. Say the Pens traded Malkin and Kunitz or a package close, then you might be looking at keeping both goalies. Hard to see happening, but it is possible.

Archived