History of Team Nicknames

DaGreatGazoo

The most interesting ones to me were the New Jersey Devils and Columbus Blue Jackets.

I didn't know anything about an swamp devil legend. I always thought the team name was about being seen as something "evil and tough".........and to think, now that I know its all about some legendary creature that roams the swamps in NJ, the religious fanatics who have made a big stink about the "Devils" name seem kinda silly to me now.

As for the Jackets, I've seen a logo of an insect (wasp) and I always thought the "Blue" in jackets was a play on Yellow Jackets (a kind of wasp).

Then I see the red, white, blue, cannons, and old time soldier motif, and that confused me a bit...till now.

Very cool the team name and background actually pays homage to the soldiers from the state that were the most numerous during the Civil War, and also pointing to the fact that the blue coats worn were mostly made there.

Very nice link, @DaGreatGazoo !

:5726b7e0b0e17_thankyou1:

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@DaGreatGazooI didn't know anything about an swamp devil legend. I always thought the team name was about being seen as something "evil and tough".........and to think, now that I know its all about some legendary creature that roams the swamps in NJ, the religious fanatics who have made a big stink about the "Devils" name seem kinda silly to me now.

Well, the "Devil" is still demonic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

There's a movie about it that (allegedly) inspired the Blair Witch Project:

It's a great name and a terrific backstory.

Still hate them. :hocky:

Archived