Playoff seed no longer impossible

Buffalo Rick

With the recent surge and the decline of teams like Tampa, a low playoff seed for these up and coming new Sabres is no longer out of reach.  I will admit it's going to take a lot .  But Jack Eichel is truly a monster of a player.  I am hoping that the brass does not simply remain "OK with this".  I.E.,  just be happy that we have taken the next baby step.  I am for trying to get Miller back.  Look at his play.  He is still an elite goalie and I do not believe that these two guys we have are good enough.  Get Miller and we can make it.  I do believe the Capitals are going to the finals. So I am not saying I expect more.  Buffalo may be the last team Washington would want to see given their lopsided history but we are not ready to beat a team like them yet. But Bylsma is doing the Job just fine!

Well, @Hockey Junkie I DO agree with you on the thread topic.

Actually, making the playoffs for the Sabres this year NEVER WAS an "impossibility".....only very slim. And I find that STILL to be the case, only now, it seems 'less' slim. ;)

But enough of the convoluted double talk, yes, I do agree the Sabres have a shot at grabbing a wild card spot if they continue to play like they have.

Some games, it looks like they have no business being in a game, yet they still find ways to win games...and against some impressive teams too recently.

I'd be a bit more behind ya on Buffalo if you refrain from the "we need Miller talk".

Look at what's going on with the team:

They have shed big contracts, have drafted pretty well, have traded for some players that are paying off and have a nice young core to grow together.

The main reason Buffalo is doing so well is because they are sticking to the plan.

A goalie like Miller, past his prime (though admittedly playing a bit better than some people give him credit for in Vancouver) would be a step BACKWARDS for the Sabres at this point in time.

Robin Lehner, I have said many times before, is just about right for what this team has right now.

Is he the man to lead Buffalo to a championship? That is highly up for debate, but Buffalo needs to know and the best way they can do that is to let him continue to play and see if he gets better........and for the record, Lehner HAS been better in Buffalo than he ever was in Ottawa.

Maybe this is all Lehner will ever be, maybe he finds that "next level"....Buffalo wants to know this now rather than later, and at worst, Lehner is simply 'warming the seat' for that eventual number one that can come out of the Sabres' system (I understand they have a couple good goalie prospects down there beginning with Linus Ullmark), OR, perhaps Buffalo trades for a good number one goalie (no NOT Miller), who can be with the team and grow along with them. Ryan Miller simply does not fit that bill.

Let's say Buffalo trades for Miller (settle down, stop drooling and pay attention ;) ), he is on the final year of his contract, costs a lot of money as is now, he may or may not want to continue playing past 2017 or 2018...and he barely gets Buffalo into the playoffs where a 'still green' Buffalo team promptly gets bounced by the likes of a Washington, Columbus, or Montreal.

Now what? Sabres are back to square one looking for a goalie when they could have been further along in the auditions keeping Lehner or anyone in their farm system playing.

Buffalo does indeed have a shot at the post season this year.

I still think their chances are not great (though certainly not 'impossible') due to the fact they will be competing for wild card spots with pretty good Metro division teams, or will have to beat out teams like Boston and even Toronto from their own division to get in.

Yes, Toronto...a team whose chances of making the post season are also not fantastic....but boy can they score and on days they get good goaltending, can play with anyone.

Buffalo still doesn't score enough, IMO, still has some issues on the PK, and of course, the questions in goal...and those things may ultimately keep them out........THIS year.

And of course, there is always the chance that teams like Florida, Tampa Bay and even Detroit get their act together long enough to be a problem (or at least an obstacle) for Buffalo's chances of getting a wild card spot.

But with some patience, life as a Sabres fan should be pretty good right now, HJ.

Just try not to napalm it with Miller bombs, eh? :lol:

Well you are entitled to your opinion but if we had a guy like Miller in goal we would have 10 more points in the standings.  As for those teams ahead of us, the bottom seed types, they do not scare me. We have beaten the Red Wings twice and  the Rangers and we just beat Philly, who I just watched a period of vs the Rangers and they looked pathetic.  The goalie is the worry to me. Lehner will make a good save and then he will give up a garbage goal in the crease on a self inflicted rebound

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

But with some patience, life as a Sabres fan should be pretty good right now, HJ.

Just try not to napalm it with Miller bombs

Save your breath TFG, it can't be done. HJ will always pine for Miller. :wub[1]:

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Why do you have a woody for Miller?  Why not try someone new?:IDunnoSmiley:

Take a look at what he is doing in Vancouver lately.  With that crap team.  If he was in Buffalo again it would be great.  I just do not know if he or the Sabres are interested.  Its strange enough to see Vanek in a Red Wings jersey and Pommenville in a Wild jersey and Roy gone

8 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Take a look at what he is doing in Vancouver lately.  With that crap team.  If he was in Buffalo again it would be great.  I just do not know if he or the Sabres are interested.  Its strange enough to see Vanek in a Red Wings jersey and Pommenville in a Wild jersey and Roy gone

True. I guess the question is: did he leave Buffalo on good terms? 

It's not impossible for players to return to a former team, but it is unlikely. :)

Miller's wife is an actress in LA and HATES Buffalo! He is not coming back to play for them. 

Although I do enjoy your DAILY posts which mention how you want Miller back, HJ please turn the page. 

23 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

True. I guess the question is: did he leave Buffalo on good terms? 

It's not impossible for players to return to a former team, but it is unlikely. :)

Yes he left on good terms as they gave him the choice to stay for the rebuild or move on.  Now when he moved on he had gone to a team that had a shot at the Cup.  St Louis.  it did not work out, and he winds up in Vancouver who on paper, are less likely to make a visit to the finals in the next 3 years than my Sabres.  I would rather be in the Sabres shoes than Vancouver's now with the old Sedin's and such.  Miller should get out  And he may get a trade offer at the deadline?  But of course the Sabres are not on that list of contenders this year.  But they could be in two years

Archived