Penguins Deadline Talk

nossagog

Let's keep all the Pens deadline talk in one place.

The way I see it, the Pens could use a solid defender for the playoffs to shore up the young guys(Maatta, Doumolin and Pouliot).   I don't see them making a move for a major wing unless some type of injury happens(would have to be an IR injury for space to be freed up) between now and deadline day. Besides, there is no cap space in reserves unless a major contract is moved.   Me personally, I'm still not sold on Maatta as he just seems to lack speed at the blueline. He's a solid defender but is vulnerable on the rush.

What they need to move is a "Flower".   It seems as though they've already made the decision that Murray is the number one goalie on the team moving forward. If they do not move Fleury, then they must either make Murray available for the expansion draft of make some sort of agreement with Las Vegas not to take him(wink wink).

Fleury has been a great goalie for the Pens, but as players always like to say in free agency, "Hey, it's a business".  Thank you for your time MAF, I wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.   Moving MAF would also free up $5.25M in cap space, and if they want to keep Shultz around after this year then it would be very helpful. 

So, who out there needs a playoff experienced goalie(hey, I specifically did not mention his playoff "problems", I just said experience) that Rutherford could get a defender out of?

maf.jpg

@nossagog

If I were the Pens:

I would be thrilled to enter the postseason with Fleury as a veteran capable backup for the postseason, I mean, what could you work out? Fleury for Elliott and a pick? Andrew Hammond? Carter Hutton? Nobody is gonna pay much for Fleury knowing the Pens situation I would stand pat unless someone made it worth while, I wouldn't move him to move him at this point.

As for the defense, maybe a bottom pair veteran.

Forwards, center is unbelievably and enviably deep, wing could use a bit of a boost a middle six vet would be my druthers, one who is defensively responsible and can score a bit.

Two cents from a fan of a team that aint gonna be in the dance.

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@nossagog

If I were the Pens:

I would be thrilled to enter the postseason with Fleury as a veteran capable backup for the postseason, I mean, what could you work out? Fleury for Elliott and a pick? Andrew Hammond? Carter Hutton? Nobody is gonna pay much for Fleury knowing the Pens situation I would stand pat unless someone made it worth while, I wouldn't move him to move him at this point.

As for the defense, maybe a bottom pair veteran.

Forwards, center is unbelievably and enviably deep, wing could use a bit of a boost a middle six vet would be my druthers, one who is defensively responsible and can score a bit.

Two cents from a fan of a team that aint gonna be in the dance.

The problem the Pens have is the expansion draft coming up.  Fleury has a limited no movement clause, so if he wants, he can tell the Pens he won't go to Vegas.  If that happens, then the Pens risk losing Murray, whom I'm sure Vegas would love to have, even if it was a second goalie for them.   So the way I look at it, if they don't deal Fleury, they will in high probability lose Murray.

So even if they got a used bag of pucks(and cap space relief), IMO it would be good for the Pens in the long run rather than losing Murray.

2 minutes ago, nossagog said:

The problem the Pens have is the expansion draft coming up.  Fleury has a limited no movement clause, so if he wants, he can tell the Pens he won't go to Vegas.  If that happens, then the Pens risk losing Murray, whom I'm sure Vegas would love to have, even if it was a second goalie for them.   So the way I look at it, if they don't deal Fleury, they will in high probability lose Murray.

So even if they got a used bag of pucks(and cap space relief), IMO it would be good for the Pens in the long run rather than losing Murray.

Got it. That makes a lot of sense.

Do you think that a team such as the Flames or Blues would give said bag of pucks for him to make a run?

And then lets say you deal him, Murray as he is wont to do gets banged up and you go into a playoff game with Tristan Jarry as a backup and feel comfortable? If you deal Fleury IMHO you absolutely have to add a veteran backup.

List of teams which might be willing to do a deal for Flower before the deadline:

Blues, Flames, maybe,MAYBE the Jets. The Sabres are not against making a midseason splash if the deal is right and of course Bylsma is there.

At the end of the season and before the draft you might be able to add:

Avalanche and Stars.

A good scenario is Fleury to the Sabres for Nilsson and retaining salary in the deal. Nilsson is not sexy but is becoming a respected backup with good peripheral numbers. that may be the best offer your boys get and would fill the need for a solid backup, Lehner is proving less than worth the first rounder that the Sabre team gave to Ottawa for him.

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Got it. That makes a lot of sense.

Do you think that a team such as the Flames or Blues would give said bag of pucks for him to make a run?

And then lets say you deal him, Murray as he is wont to do gets banged up and you go into a playoff game with Tristan Jarry as a backup and feel comfortable? If you deal Fleury IMHO you absolutely have to add a veteran backup.

List of teams which might be willing to do a deal for Flower before the deadline:

Blues, Flames, maybe,MAYBE the Jets. The Sabres are not against making a midseason splash if the deal is right and of course Bylsma is there.

At the end of the season and before the draft you might be able to add:

Avalanche and Stars.

A good scenario is Fleury to the Sabres for Nilsson and retaining salary in the deal. Nilsson is not sexy but is becoming a respected backup with good peripheral numbers. that may be the best offer your boys get and would fill the need for a solid backup, Lehner is proving less than worth the first rounder that the Sabre team gave to Ottawa for him.

Well in a fantasy world, the Blues would be unhappy with their goaltending going into the playoffs and would accept Fleury as an experienced goaltender to take them to the promised land.  In return, the Blues, who will probably lose Shattenkirk at the end of the year, send him to Pittsburgh  who doesn't care if they resign him next season and just use him as a rental. 

Fantasy over. 

Only other thing I can think of at this time is Dallas, who could send someone like Lehtonen, and then expose him after the season. 

10 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Well in a fantasy world, the Blues would be unhappy with their goaltending going into the playoffs and would accept Fleury as an experienced goaltender to take them to the promised land.  In return, the Blues, who will probably lose Shattenkirk at the end of the year, send him to Pittsburgh  who doesn't care if they resign him next season and just use him as a rental. 

Fantasy over. 

Only other thing I can think of at this time is Dallas, who could send someone like Lehtonen, and then expose him after the season. 

Well my fantasy team has both Fleury and Shattenkirk :VeryCool:

THAT would be a monster deal, the Blues do seem resigned to the reality of losing Shattenkirk who IMHO is as good of a power play QB as there is in the game today and is absolutely going to get paid. I have read two places (one was Eklund so take that with a grain of salt, lol) that an Eastern Conference team was close to a deal for him and they asked the Blues for permission to work on a contract and Shatty refused to talk a deal, he has every intention of declaring UFA which certainly does hurt his value, there are very few teams that would offer much for a rental who is almost certainly gone at the end of the year. He has New York ties and has been rumored to be a mortal lock to be heading to the Rangers on July first.

So the Blues fix their net giving up a foregone conclusion blueliner, the Pens add a dominating offensive force on the back end as if you need another one and get long term cap relief moving Flowers contract. I might still ask for Hutton in the deal although the Blues might insist that you take Allen who before the season signed a three year extension.

Good deal. Lets make it happen.

@nossagog

The more I read the more I think that MAF does not get moved at the deadline. I think Rutherford is content to keep him for a playoff run after seeing the benefits of having two capable netminders save the Pens and Lightning last year at the end of the regular season and throughout the playoffs. Murray is tough but he's missed time at the start of the season and in December with injuries. Are we ready to rely on Tristan Jarry? If - big if - we could land an affordable veteran back-up (think Vokoun from a few years ago) then I'd bet JR would be a little more comfortable moving MAF.  Honestly, I don't care about the return. I just want to be able to protect MM for the expansion draft.

JR was quoted as saying he would "listen" to MAF.  Just me speculating but that leads me to believe that he (JR) will field offers. Any team looking to trade for Fleury would be a team in need of a #1 (who trades for a 5MM+ back-up, right?). JR goes to MAF and says that he has an offer he'd take if MAF wants to waive the NMC and go.  If MAF agrees? Great. If not, MAF clearly knows where he stands here.

I haven't seen this written yet but - can MAF waive his NMC clause and allow the Pens to expose him in the expansion draft?  

He clearly wants to be a #1.  He clearly can be a #1.  If he can/does waive his NMC and Vegas takes him it would obviously be with the intent to make him their #1. 

It could happen but I just don't envision Fleury "forcing" the Pens to protect him and expose Murray. Just a hunch.

As for other needs - I think they need to add some veteran depth on D but other than that? Stand pat. 

19 hours ago, B21 said:

@nossagog

The more I read the more I think that MAF does not get moved at the deadline. I think Rutherford is content to keep him for a playoff run after seeing the benefits of having two capable netminders save the Pens and Lightning last year at the end of the regular season and throughout the playoffs. Murray is tough but he's missed time at the start of the season and in December with injuries. Are we ready to rely on Tristan Jarry? If - big if - we could land an affordable veteran back-up (think Vokoun from a few years ago) then I'd bet JR would be a little more comfortable moving MAF.  Honestly, I don't care about the return. I just want to be able to protect MM for the expansion draft.

JR was quoted as saying he would "listen" to MAF.  Just me speculating but that leads me to believe that he (JR) will field offers. Any team looking to trade for Fleury would be a team in need of a #1 (who trades for a 5MM+ back-up, right?). JR goes to MAF and says that he has an offer he'd take if MAF wants to waive the NMC and go.  If MAF agrees? Great. If not, MAF clearly knows where he stands here.

I haven't seen this written yet but - can MAF waive his NMC clause and allow the Pens to expose him in the expansion draft?  

He clearly wants to be a #1.  He clearly can be a #1.  If he can/does waive his NMC and Vegas takes him it would obviously be with the intent to make him their #1. 

It could happen but I just don't envision Fleury "forcing" the Pens to protect him and expose Murray. Just a hunch.

As for other needs - I think they need to add some veteran depth on D but other than that? Stand pat. 

I think that protecting Murray is what everyone wants for the future of the Pens. That has to be the key.   Not knowing what Fleury has in his limited NMC in terms of teams he's willing to go to makes it hard to know how many trade partners we "could" have.  

But I'm not sure if the Flower would want to go to Vegas.  Yes, he "could" be a number one goalie again. But he'll be 33 come next season.  Players are all about winning the cup, and the window on his career is starting to close.  Does he want to spend the last 4/5 years of his career on what may be a weak expansion team? Remember the mantra of all players when it comes to money and trades, "Hey, its a business".   And in business sense, if he goes there and gets lit up on a weak team it affects whatever remaining contract(s) that he has to end his career. 

On 2/9/2017 at 8:49 AM, nossagog said:

I think that protecting Murray is what everyone wants for the future of the Pens. That has to be the key.   Not knowing what Fleury has in his limited NMC in terms of teams he's willing to go to makes it hard to know how many trade partners we "could" have.  

But I'm not sure if the Flower would want to go to Vegas.  Yes, he "could" be a number one goalie again. But he'll be 33 come next season.  Players are all about winning the cup, and the window on his career is starting to close.  Does he want to spend the last 4/5 years of his career on what may be a weak expansion team? Remember the mantra of all players when it comes to money and trades, "Hey, its a business".   And in business sense, if he goes there and gets lit up on a weak team it affects whatever remaining contract(s) that he has to end his career. 

I agree - the first option has to be to deal him if at all possible.  Maybe I am trying to read his mind but I just don't see him trying to hard to "force" himself onto the Pens by blocking trades and not waiving his NMC so they have to protect him. Maybe I'm naive on this one - it is a business after all. He just doesn't strike me as the type. Here's hoping it works out.

FWIW, I have nothing at all against MAF.  Like Tessio said, it's strictly business. :) 

12 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Rod Scuderi is a unrestricted free agent at the end of the season! Maybe the Pens should pick him up? Jk

I know your just kidding, but I'm going to now have nightmares for several days of six Scuderi's in penguins uniforms being skated around like practice cones. 

Well last nights game against the Jets may push things a little for the Pens at the deadline.   Justin Shultz, who's been outstanding for the Pens this season, took a hit from behind into the boards that whipped his head pretty hard into the glass.   I'm guessing he going to be a short term loss at least with a concussion, but with concussions you never really know.

Later in the same period, the Pens lost Maatta for the night when he took a late hit that that injured his hand, and he didn't return.  Need to see a replay to make a guess on what happened. 

Both were injured in the second period and did not return to the game.   There has been no word on the injuries, but if one or both have the capability to be long term injuries it may push the Pens to try to pick up a solid if not top tier defenseman.  If they move Fleury, that would give them plenty of cap space, and relieve them of the expansion draft issue. 

We'll have to see later today if the Pens are making callups from the Baby Pens for tonights game against the Blue Jackets. 

On 2/17/2017 at 10:40 AM, nossagog said:

Well last nights game against the Jets may push things a little for the Pens at the deadline.   Justin Shultz, who's been outstanding for the Pens this season, took a hit from behind into the boards that whipped his head pretty hard into the glass.   I'm guessing he going to be a short term loss at least with a concussion, but with concussions you never really know.

Later in the same period, the Pens lost Maatta for the night when he took a late hit that that injured his hand, and he didn't return.  Need to see a replay to make a guess on what happened. 

Both were injured in the second period and did not return to the game.   There has been no word on the injuries, but if one or both have the capability to be long term injuries it may push the Pens to try to pick up a solid if not top tier defenseman.  If they move Fleury, that would give them plenty of cap space, and relieve them of the expansion draft issue. 

We'll have to see later today if the Pens are making callups from the Baby Pens for tonights game against the Blue Jackets. 

The Pens let a point get away! I hope it doesn't hurt us later! 

I have a hunch the Pens wait to the end of the season to deal  with the goaltending situation! 

I can't help but think that this latest run of injuries might up the asking price of some teams knowing that the Pens may be more desperate now (all's fair in love and trades).  I hope JR does not overpay.  We just need some veteran depth to get by until the playoffs start when Maatta and (hopefully) Schultz are healthy.  I've seen Brendan Smith anbd Cody Franson mentioned in a few articles.

Well with the addition of Hainsey, I don't really think the Pens will make any further "big" moves.    Listening to GM Rutherford yesterday on NHL Live, he's not actively shopping Fleury, but would be willing to listen to offers.  None have yet come.  With no cap space, it will probably only be minor league moves at this point. 

Well the deadline has come, and the Pens have dealt. 

Deal day saw the Pens send Fehr and Olesky to Toronto along with a 4th to toronto for Frank Corrado.

The moved a bunch of salary around so the Pens could then send a 4th rounder to Tampa for Mark Streit, whom the Bolts just acquired from Philly.     With Philly  and Tampa picking up much of his salary.    

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Well the deadline has come, and the Pens have dealt. 

Deal day saw the Pens send Fehr and Olesky to Toronto along with a 4th to toronto for Frank Corrado.

The moved a bunch of salary around so the Pens could then send a 4th rounder to Tampa for Mark Streit, whom the Bolts just acquired from Philly.     With Philly  and Tampa picking up much of his salary.    

Good moves. I think Fehr became expendable with the play of guys like Guentzel and Wilson.  Streit is a perfect fit for their style of play.  I'll be very curious to see how Sullivan deploys his D once everyone is healthy (assuming everyone even gets healthy).

Letang

Schultz

Daley

Cole

Dumoulin

Maatta

Streit

Hainsey

Good luck with that...but a good problem to have.

2 minutes ago, B21 said:

Good moves. I think Fehr became expendable with the play of guys like Guentzel and Wilson.  Streit is a perfect fit for their style of play.  I'll be very curious to see how Sullivan deploys his D once everyone is healthy (assuming everyone even gets healthy).

Letang

Schultz

Daley

Cole

Dumoulin

Maatta

Streit

Hainsey

Good luck with that...but a good problem to have.

I think in the end Hainsey and Streit split time because of their age. What they could also do is to dress 7 defensemen and let Streit be a power play only guy. 

Just now, nossagog said:

I think in the end Hainsey and Streit split time because of their age. What they could also do is to dress 7 defensemen and let Streit be a power play only guy. 

I'd be OK with that split. A lot may depend on the opponent, too. With their luck, I doubt everyone is healthy in time for the playoffs anyway. JR basically added insurance for a 4th round pick and hung onto Fleury...probably for the same reason.

Archived