Justin Shultz appreciation thread

nossagog

Another three point night for Justin Shultz last night against the Sabres.  Great feed to Connor Sheary on a slap pass through the slot for the game winning goal.  At this point, Justin Shultz has become such an important part of the Pens defensive core, talk needs to begin on whether or not to try to resign him next season.  His previous highs were 11G and 22A for the Oil in '14.  He is currently at 11G and 33A for the season with 18 games left. He seems to just be getting better and better as time goes by. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Another three point night for Justin Shultz last night against the Sabres.  Great feed to Connor Sheary on a slap pass through the slot for the game winning goal.  At this point, Justin Shultz has become such an important part of the Pens defensive core, talk needs to begin on whether or not to try to resign him next season.  His previous highs were 11G and 22A for the Oil in '14.  He is currently at 11G and 33A for the season with 18 games left. He seems to just be getting better and better as time goes by. 

Top 5 among defensemen in both points and +/-. Not saying he's a Norris candidate but he could easily be in the conversation. All of the d-men with a higher +/- have less points. All of the d-men with more points have a lower +/-. 

I wish there was a way to keep him but it's going to be tough even with Kunitz and (presumably) Fleury coming off the books. After this season I think he'll easily get 6MM per season on a long-term deal. Not impossible but difficult.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Paging @JR Ewing to this thread....

Hey, he's having a great year, and I'm glad to see him have this success. At the time he was traded, he was at an absolute low point in his career, especially as far as confidence went. He had never been made to earn his icetime or paycheque, was sent out against the biggest lines and most physical lines in the west, had been through a carousel of coaches, and didn't know if he was coming or going.

Moving to Pittsburgh allowed him to hit the reset button and start out playing easier comp, and he's really worked his way back into a strong position, being used in a role which suits him. He's a nice young man, and he seems to deserve this professional success.

8 hours ago, B21 said:

Top 5 among defensemen in both points and +/-. Not saying he's a Norris candidate but he could easily be in the conversation. All of the d-men with a higher +/- have less points. All of the d-men with more points have a lower +/-. 

I wish there was a way to keep him but it's going to be tough even with Kunitz and (presumably) Fleury coming off the books. After this season I think he'll easily get 6MM per season on a long-term deal. Not impossible but difficult.

Problem is that with the Pens next year, there is going to be a lot of flux on defense.  The only players on the roster for next year are Daly, Maatta and Letang.  Even Poliout and Doumolin are RFA's next year.   Poo then can probably retain cheap, maybe even Dumo. but the rest are going to cost.  And remember, part of the money that will be saved with Fleury going will be used to pay part of Murray's new contract.  

Personally, at this point I'd rather have Shultz around than Maatta.   I am not quite satisfied with his progress, and his speed is not getting any better. 

And oh year, Sheary is going to need a bit more next year too. 

On 3/6/2017 at 6:59 PM, nossagog said:

Problem is that with the Pens next year, there is going to be a lot of flux on defense.  The only players on the roster for next year are Daly, Maatta and Letang.  Even Poliout and Doumolin are RFA's next year.   Poo then can probably retain cheap, maybe even Dumo. but the rest are going to cost.  And remember, part of the money that will be saved with Fleury going will be used to pay part of Murray's new contract.  

Personally, at this point I'd rather have Shultz around than Maatta.   I am not quite satisfied with his progress, and his speed is not getting any better. 

And oh year, Sheary is going to need a bit more next year too. 

I'm torn on Maatta. I like him a lot and still think there is room for improvement but at 4MM+ now I like him just a little less.  If it were between him and Schultz, I'd take Schultz every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

Archived