Giroux Says He's Been Playing Injured

radoran

Here's the issue though with hip surgeries. Having had a hip operation, you can be 100% healed up from the operation, but you still aren't 100%. Like everything else, it takes time to get back range of motion, speed, strength, etc.....So, technically, Giroux could have been 100% from the surgery. However, he wasn't 100% with getting his range of motion, speed, strength, etc....back. The other thing to remember is that players who have had the same surgery as Giroux have taken nearly a year to get their feet back underneath them. Ryan Getzlaf is a great example of that. In 2011, he had hip surgery, was side lined three months and then was ready for the 2011 - 2012 season. He was cleared by medical people, just like Giroux was, and went on to have one of the worst seasons of his career. So, while Getzlaf was healthy from the surgery, his hip still took time to get back to normal.

The season after his hip surgery, Getzlaf went on to post 49 points in 44 games in the strike shortened season and then after that, he had 87 points in 77 games.

Giroux is going to be fine. I expect that he'll have a bounce back year in 2017 - 2018.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Giroux is going to be fine. I expect that he'll have a bounce back year in 2017 - 2018.

I agree sure wish between now and next year they can find a guy who can find the twine for G and Jake. Make that 16 mill useful again....

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree sure wish between now and next year they can find a guy who can find the twine for G and Jake. Make that 16 mill useful again....

Maybe I'm the only guy that thinks this, but I think the have that guy in Weal. The question is, if that line hits a slump, will Hakstol be patient enough to let them play through it?

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Maybe I'm the only guy that thinks this, but I think the have that guy in Weal. The question is, if that line hits a slump, will Hakstol be patient enough to let them play through it?

Don't get me wrong i like Weal a lot and he has impressed me.

However i think he be better suited for maybe the 2nd or 3rd line due to the 1st line needing more size.

I think Lindblom will be given every opportunity next year to win that 1st line LW spot.

However we know how the Flyers love to take wingers and make them Centers.

So we'll see. But yes i like Weal and wouldn't be shocked if they decided to protect him.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Don't get me wrong i like Weal a lot and he has impressed me.

However i think he be better suited for maybe the 2nd or 3rd line due to the 1st line needing more size.

I think Lindblom will be given every opportunity next year to win that 1st line LW spot.

However we know how the Flyers love to take wingers and make them Centers.

So we'll see. But yes i like Weal and wouldn't be shocked if they decided to protect him.

I could live with Weal on line 2 or line 3 as well. As of next season, the Flyers should be three deep at left wing with Lindblom, Konecny and Weal. Add in that the Flyers are three deep on the right side (Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn) and now three deep down the middle (Giroux, Filppula, Couturier), it seems like it's going to be a good place to start and that $16 million is going to be ear marked for something else.

I honestly believe that next season, the starting defense should be:

Provorov - Gudas

Morin - Sanheim

Hagg - Gostisbehere

Manning

However, I think some might believe that's just too young of a defense to trot out. So, I have to believe that a defenseman is going to be signed just so that it's not 3 rookies and 1 second year defenseman making up the defense group.

Goaltending is also another place I expect to see some money being allocated. I'm not sure what the plan is with the goaltending going forward, but I have a feeling that they're going to expose or walk away from Stolarz, use Neuvirth as a back up, and then possibly go after a guy like BIshop or Bernier (the Hextall/Dillabaugh connection) in the short term while they wait for one of Sandstrom or Hart to arrive.

I totally disagree with you about Clarke. Was he protected? Yes. Was his team tougher across the board? Yes. But times were also tougher and Clarke was not a guy who backed down, and got into quite a few skirmishes. He played up to his responsibility in every way and was a leader on the ice every night. The question marks surrounding guys like Richards and Lindros were never there with Bobby Clarke. He epitomized what teh Flyers were and led them to where no other Captain has been able to, and not once, but twice.

Lindros may not have the same "protection" up and down the line up, but there were some significant enforcers on his teams. Plus, at 6'4 240, he quite often was the enforcer. He played that style and could throw with the heavyweights. But it wasn't the lack of an enforcer or protection that caused Darius Kaspariits and Scott Stevens to use his head for target practice.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

I agree. With the kids coming, the last thing I think the Flyers should do is sign a long term deal with a UFA. Frankly, I expect one more year like this before we start to see a true upward trend as the defense solidifies. I wouldn't spend big on a goalie as it's less money down the line to fill in needs. Re-evaluate in two years when Neuvirth's deal is up and the goalie prospects have started to sort themselves out.

To this point, I don't see Vegas necessarily grabbing Stolarz, either.

Reports today indicate that they are leaning at grabbing Grubauer from the Caps as their purported starter (McPhee drafted Grubauer).

That said, it would not surprise me if the Flyers dangled and Vegas took Neuvirth, too...

Archived