Giroux Says He's Been Playing Injured

radoran

This is something that many around here have seen and commented upon and probably comes as no surprise, despite the repeated denials.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20170320_Giroux_admits_hip_has_been_a_problem_this_season.html

On May 17 Giroux had surgery to repair his right hip and an abdominal tear. In late August before training camp, he said he was 100 percent.

It turns out that wasn't really the case.

"Playing injured" - when you can't play the game they way you expect to and the way you are paid to rarely helps anybody.

Lying about it doesn't help anybody either. Harsh? Perhaps. But saying that you're "100 percent" so you can go play fourth line for Team Canada in the World Cup instead of getting yourself ready to play for the team that's paying you over $8 Million to be the linchpin of the team is, from where I sit, terribly irresponsible.

And it just adds to the folly of risking players in international competitions.

Here's what Ron Hextall had to say about Giroux playing in the World Cup

Hextall is just fine with Giroux staying and playing as much as he can.

That’s an obligation that they have and that’s for the good of the game,” Hextall said. “If someone’s not 100 percent, that’s a different story. (Defenseman Radko Gudas, who pulled out of the World Cup for the Czech Republic with an “upper-body injury”) was a different story. If a guy is legitimately injured, no, not if it’s going to affect his season.”

Giroux got crunched in the second period by U.S. captain Joe Pavelski and momentarily left the game. He was playing a fourth-line role for the Canadians and has already been ruled out of Wednesday's exhibition against Russia.

“We know what’s going on. We’ve been in communication,” Hextall said. “He’s fine. He’s not injured. That’s the bottom line. Throughout the year you get a bump or a bruise and that’s basically the case right now.”

Now he says he wasn't 100 percent.

And now we find the Flyers five points out of the playoffs with 11 games to play and three teams to get past.

Might things have been different had he not been "for the good of the game" playing the fourth line for Team Canada? Obviously, we'll never know. But it certainly doesn't help people have confidence in what you're telling them going forward.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess this is what happens after the big contract.  Perhaps more should be written into these inflated deals that get automatically fined/reduced when the player intentionally deceives management.  I have never been in favor of all these tourneys.  either you play for the team that's footing the bill, or you play for the country that isn't.  These players are not kids or college students anymore so what's the point?  The goal is to win the cup or so I thought.

then he shouldn't even be playing 

People call hockey players tough for playing through injuries, but I think they're stupid for doing so. In the playoffs? sure, but I dont understand why they do it during the season

1 hour ago, radoran said:

This is something that many around here have seen and commented upon and probably comes as no surprise, despite the repeated denials.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20170320_Giroux_admits_hip_has_been_a_problem_this_season.html

"Playing injured" - when you can't play the game they way you expect to and the way you are paid to rarely helps anybody.

Lying about it doesn't help anybody either. Harsh? Perhaps. But saying that you're "100 percent" so you can go play fourth line for Team Canada in the World Cup instead of getting yourself ready to play for the team that's paying you over $8 Million to be the linchpin of the team is, from where I sit, terribly irresponsible.

And now we find the Flyers five points out of the playoffs with 11 games to play and three teams to get past.

Might things have been different had he not been "for the good of the game" playing the fourth line for Team Canada? Obviously, we'll never know. But it certainly doesn't help people have confidence in what you're telling them going forward.

Yeah i figured those two surgeries are hard to recover from the World Cup to me is what derailed it all. And if i am repeating something my apologies as i mostly do i post before reading the whole thread.

There is a reason he didn't play much. And it cost him this season. We'll never know now was it him playing to soon or would this have happened to him regardless.

But from watching him you could tell something was going on now way he could just forget to play like we were seeing not that damn quickly.

So here is to him resting this offseason and getting ready for next year.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh or bitter, but Giroux has lost all credibility to me as a Captain and leader of this team.  I understand the competitiveness of the athlete.  They want to play, BUT at what cost???  What is more important?  The World Cup or the Flyers. If this this story appears to be true and by the looks of it is.....then "our Captain" should have been recovering and getting ready for the season....NOT be off in some damn tournament.  What type of example does this set to the younger players. That is OK to lie about an injury so you can play for your national team.  As a fan I feel cheated.  Giroux should have done the right thing and politely declined playing for Team Canada by stating he was not 100% from recovering from the surgeries and that his primary allegiance should be to the Flyers.  That would have given me more respect......now..at least IMO, I have lost some respect for him. 

#disappoited

#feelingcheated

21 minutes ago, KjellShocked said:

He's had to play with a guy who has been playing injured? :DancingGrape:

Uh no not good enough. Giroux has nothing to do with how sloppy and turnover prone he has been with the puck on his stick.

Just last night alone in the 3rd period watching him fumble and turn the puck over killing momentum can't be place at G's feet...

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Uh no not good enough. Giroux has nothing to do with how sloppy and turnover prone he has been with the puck on his stick.

Just last night alone in the 3rd period watching him fumble and turn the puck over killing momentum can't be place at G's feet...

Hes constantly trying to go 1 on 4and turning it over at the o zone blue line

4 minutes ago, peter puck said:

Hes constantly trying to go 1 on 4and turning it over at the o zone blue line

Yeah his decision making like you state has nothing to do with G's injury. In fact you'd expect for someone who is making a salary of 10 mill to help carry G some which is far from the case...

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.  

I'm pissed they let/were forced to let him go to those stupid World Cup games.  

It was long discussed that this particular surgery takes a full year to fully recover from and if he had a set back in September in a pointless game, then there is hope that what we've been seeing from him could be recovered from. I admit that he has looked more himself these past two weeks.  To my eyes since right before the trade deadline.  He's had a bit more of a jump in his step even when it hasn't resulted in a ton.

Ghost had the same surgery right?  Makes sense if the majority of his season was crappier too.  

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

then he shouldn't even be playing 

People call hockey players tough for playing through injuries, but I think they're stupid for doing so. In the playoffs? sure, but I dont understand why they do it during the season

I mean what's he supposed to do though?  NOT playing isn't going to make him heal faster.

You could reduce his minutes, put him on the 3rd or 4th line?  Maybe that would have been an option but then who's the 1C all year (pre-filppula?)  Weal?  Cousins?  Leier?  Laughton?    What exactly was the better choice of action?

Many of the fans who are bitching about his poor play would be bitching that he was sitting out. 

Playing injured or not to 100% really seems to be a lose / lose proposition 90% of the time.

If he doesn't play he's soft and a *****... He's not living up to his contract or his leadership role on the team. He does play but he's not himself... he's a liar and he's not living up to his contract or his leadership role on the team.

wtf ?

If I were him I don't know what I'd do, to be honest.  Do you at 85 % think you're still the team's best option ? If you're a competitor you most likely do...I know I did. How much pressure does the big contract and leadership role play into wanting to play hurt ? - to show you're worth the investment.

I don't know, it's a snake eating it's tail.

12 minutes ago, intheslot said:

if he's not 100% he should have been put on Ir..

They could have 4) 2 millon dollar players to fill that role 

I think he hurt the team by playing hurt ..

I M O .

You can't put a guy on IR for being "not 100%".

When he's medically cleared to play he's cleared to play.  You can push it a few days or weeks even in some cases, but you can't force a guy who's only injury is "still recovering, not quite 100% yet) to sit on the IR.

The question is whether playing put him at increased risk of re-damaging something.  If it didn't (which is likely) then there's not much to do but let him work through it.  It's part of the recovery.  

In a perfect world, you could let him do it on the Phantoms and you wouldn't worry about things like waivers.  But you do have to worry about that crap (even if Claude waives his NMC).

But even if burried him on the third or 4th line (4th line probably increases his chance of injury) who's playing 1C this year and does the first line play better with an injured Claude Giroux or that guy?

Essentially, I'm saying, what if this year was just a lose lose from the start?

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Many of the fans who are bitching about his poor play would be bitching that he was sitting out. 

Playing injured or not to 100% really seems to be a lose / lose proposition 90% of the time.

If he doesn't play he's soft and a *****... He's not living up to his contract or his leadership role on the team. He does play but he's not himself... he's a liar and he's not living up to his contract or his leadership role on the team.

wtf ?

If I were him I don't know what I'd do, to be honest.  Do you at 85 % think you're still the team's best option ? If you're a competitor you most likely do...I know I did. How much pressure does the big contract and leadership role play into wanting to play hurt ? - to show you're worth the investment.

I don't know, it's a snake eating it's tail.

I don't see it that way. It's like the one guy that goes into the office with the flu and gets everybody sick. If he is hurt, he is not 100%. If he is not 100% he is not helping. 

Of course we'd all bitch, we're Flyers fans are we not?

So our Captain decided to go be a "healthy scratch" or 4th liner at the World Cup this summer instead of resting and rehabbing. Way to put yourself before the team Cap.......

14 minutes ago, Samifan said:

So our Captain decided to go be a "healthy scratch" or 4th liner at the World Cup this summer instead of resting and rehabbing. Way to put yourself before the team Cap.......

To be fair you can put a lot of that on Bettman.  The NHL put an enormous amount of pressure on the teams and the NHLPA for participation.  None of them really wanted to, but Bettman thinks it'll encourage exposure and increase fans and general hockey excitement around the world.  

Claude had an out, sure, but he wouldn't have been able to practice with his team instead.  He probably would have had to have sit out and continue to pretend to "rehab" at a time and stage in his recovery when the only rehab would have probably been playing hockey.

I'm not happy about the worlds, but I don't blame Claude particularly and I don't blame the Flyers.  

I can only blame the NHL and frankly, Claude's doctors who could have easily just said, "You're not cleared to play."  

Here's where I sit. If resting wasn't going to help his recovery (ie, no risk of further damage), then I have no issue with his decision to either play in the WC (from a health standpoint. I give a rats rear about the WC, and would have preferred the Flyers players all stay home to avoid other potential injuries) or to play through it. It's a bit of a double standard, in that if it had been a 3rd/4th liner I would have wanted him to sit so you could play someone who might contribute more, but in the case of Giroux, even at whatever percentage he was, he still has put up more points than anyone on the team but Voracek. What good would him sitting have done the team, assuming his playing didn't cause the injury to take longer to heal or risk injuring it further? How would the team have fared with Schenn as the 1C for half to two thirds of the year? I guess if you're looking for a draft pick it makes sense, but otherwise what's the point?

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

...because where are his wingers?

He (Voracek) is a winger :)

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I mean what's he supposed to do though?  NOT playing isn't going to make him heal faster.

Not getting smashed into the wall by Pavelski in a glorified exhibition game isn't going to help him heal faster?

Interesting... :hocky:

46 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Essentially, I'm saying, what if this year was just a lose lose from the start?

This is absolutely plausible. And it is a valid point that if he's not at risk of re-injury then there's no benefit to being out.

On the other hand, if he's not himself and can't do the things he is used to doing on the ice, does that put him more "at risk"?

It's a known unknown at best. I can see where there isn't a "good answer" to the question.

But it returns to the point that he was never "100%" - not in August, September, October, November, December, January or February. So why did he - and the team - continually assert that he was?

32 minutes ago, King Knut said:

To be fair you can put a lot of that on Bettman.  The NHL put an enormous amount of pressure on the teams and the NHLPA for participation.  None of them really wanted to, but Bettman thinks it'll encourage exposure and increase fans and general hockey excitement around the world. 

The World Cup was a joint venture between the league and the NHLPA . The NHLPA wasn't "pressured" into doing it. They were part of the pressure on the players to be a part of it.

"We've been talking about this for years now," Swedish goalie Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers) said. "The League has been pushing for it, and the [Players' Association] has been talking about it. Having a break for 12 years, it's important to let people know that it's back and you need to set the tone by putting on a good product here. I think they've done a good job with that. I'm really excited about it and I think a lot of players are to get this opportunity to play in a big tournament."

While Lundqvist does say the "league was pushing for it" - the NHLPA didn't exactly walk away from splitting the $65 Million.

The event is expected to generate about $130 million in revenues and $65 million in profits, which will be split 50/50 between the NHL and the players.

The league wanted this tournament to eclipse the Olympics.

It didn't, doesn't and won't do that.

Archived