B. Schenn traded to Blues for J. Lehtera and a Conditional 1st in 2018

pilldoc

2 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

I want him, Flyers make it happen.

Also thank you for the info on the comparison, it was a shot in the dark kinda question.

No problem. I have done my homework on Ratcliffe. Absolutely SHOCKED he did not go in the first. I could see if skating was a problem, then yeah, but this kid can motor even with the huge size. I believe I will be vindicated, I'm right and most of the GM's selecting in the bottom half of the 1st round are wrong. When he played my Spits I watched him the whole game, was just taken aback by his powerful stride and his hands. He really impressed me.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I hear ya on the pick. But as someone else pointed out Frost just turned 18 a few weeks ago.   That right there would probably drop him to the 2nd round 

Well, that's interesting, and encouraging, that he's young for the class.  If I recall correctly, the same was the case with Sanheim (which, as someone else mentioned, was also considered a reach - but the Flyers didn't trade to pick him).  So, maybe there is some potential for growth.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think Hextall didn't think he was coming to Philly when Ron traded Schenn out of LA, I think he was fixing a reach there and then, "well ****, here that *****' guy is again"...

Didn't Hexy just extend Schenn for 4yrs last summer?

i can only hope that Hexy's willingness to suddenly reverse course and part ways with Schenn in exchange for prospects that will not have an impact for 2+ years is that Hexy believes we can now replace Schenn's scoring with the lottery gift of Patrick + Lindblom being better than expected

8 minutes ago, vis said:

end up with a later round pick

Clarify what a later round pick is. Honestly if that means the Blue 1st round pick is at #11 or #12 I'm fine with that also. How do you know Blues will have another good year? Honestly I am not to sure about that, they choke ALOT, kinda like the Crapitals.

Honestly I am with Hextall, Ill take that risk.

3 minutes ago, vis said:

The pick is top 10 protected in 2018.  If the Blues end up with a top 10 pick in 2018, they can elect to push the pick to a non-protected 2019 pick and would also have to give the Flyers a third rounder. 

Bad karma, but if Allen played lights out for the first half and then sustained a season ending injury, putting the Blues "just" out of the top 10, I don't think I would shed a tear. Imagine if the Blues finished with the #10 pick and the lottery pushed them to 11 or 12....best case there!!

8 minutes ago, hf101 said:

@vis

How can you not like this kid?

Wow.  What a punk.  Kid goes on twitter and blasts his team (and former teammate) like that?  Nice work.  Clearly Hextall didn't do his research.

4 minutes ago, vis said:

Wow.  What a punk.  Kid goes on twitter and blasts his team (and former teammate) like that?  Nice work.  Clearly Hextall didn't do his research.

I am sure you are just joking, but just incase you are not the tweet was sent out 4 years ago in 2013.

Just now, vis said:

the quote was made in 2013,  he was 14, lol.  We all said the same thing.

36 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but we paid Schenn more money to score 12 even strength goals. 17 of his 25 goals on the man advantage, having Ghost and G passing you the puck. Plus, it was slight, but he regressed from 26 goals to 25 despite being at the age when kids usually explode for career years. With Schenn, it's what you see is what you get, I don't see a ton of upside here. He does NOT crash the net, he does not out think other players....where do the goals come from, not that one timer which is a failure. If you are not fast, I want you no where near the top 6. 

All fair points, Jammer.  Agree on the criticisms of Schenn.  As I have said, I am not a Schenn defender.  I just don't see a need for the trade.

Just now, hf101 said:

the quote was made in 2013,  he was 14, lol.  We all said the same thing.

I know.  My comment was tongue in cheek.  Tone doesn't always come across well.  Guess I should bump my emoticon game...

3 minutes ago, NoVaFlyerFan said:

i can only hope that Hexy's willingness to suddenly reverse course and part ways with Schenn in exchange for prospects that will not have an impact for 2+ years is that Hexy believes we can now replace Schenn's scoring with the lottery gift of Patrick + Lindblom being better than expected

I believe, with the addition of Patrick that Hexy has a clear vision of our window opening up 3 years from now. All moves are then subsequently done to strengthen this team when our window does open. I believe Simmonds will still be very useful in 3 years and will still provide valuable backbone to the team down the road....not the same case for Schenn. Hexy got out while the getting was good. If he regressed next year, the return would have been significantly smaller.

8 minutes ago, NoVaFlyerFan said:

Well, that's professional sports. Things change, so moves need to be made.

3 minutes ago, vis said:

I know.  My comment was tongue in cheek.  Tone doesn't always come across well.  Guess I should bump my emoticon game...

My first thought....vis has not lost any of that famous snark, I would say smarm, but I don't feel like paying Rux the royalty fee.

5 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Clarify what a later round pick is. Honestly if that means the Blue 1st round pick is at #11 or #12 I'm fine with that also. How do you know Blues will have another good year? Honestly I am not to sure about that, they choke ALOT, kinda like the Crapitals.

Honestly I am with Hextall, Ill take that risk.

I don't think the Blues will finish out of the playoffs.  Which means they won't be picking in the top 10.  They may not even be lottery eligible.  They weren't this year.  So, even though they choke in the POs, their regular season performance indicates the pick will likely be in the bottom half of the round.  Just don't see them taking a step back next year, let alone two years in a row (at least not in the regular season).

8 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Bad karma, but if Allen played lights out for the first half and then sustained a season ending injury, putting the Blues "just" out of the top 10, I don't think I would shed a tear. Imagine if the Blues finished with the #10 pick and the lottery pushed them to 11 or 12....best case there!!

For sure.  But how likely is that scenario (the thought crossed my mind of Tarasenko suffering a career ender early next year).

4 minutes ago, vis said:

I don't think the Blues will finish out of the playoffs.  Which means they won't be picking in the top 10.  They may not even be lottery eligible.  They weren't this year.  So, even though they choke in the POs, their regular season performance indicates the pick will likely be in the bottom half of the round.  Just don't see them taking a step back next year, let alone two years in a row (at least not in the regular season).

Well we will just half to wait and see. Right now though I am freaking thrilled and excited for the direction Hexy is leading this team.

3 minutes ago, vis said:

That's fine. Flyers have recently been pretty good at drafting anywhere in the 1st round. Besides, we already have our (hopeful) franchise center (Nolan) and franchise defenseman (Provorov) to build around 

11 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I believe, with the addition of Patrick that Hexy has a clear vision of our window opening up 3 years from now.

I'd argue the window should be open sooner, especially since they were gifted Patrick.  And three more years is a long-way off for Giroux and Voracek.  What are we doing with them in the meantime?  What kind of players are they going to be at that point?  Shouldn't the Flyers be trying to open that window sooner given the stages of their careers (more so Giroux's than Voracek's).  

Maybe I should clarify: what do you mean by "window" opening?  Are you saying they should be a top 3 team in the conference and a legit contender for the cup?  If so, are these kids really going to be making an impact at that point?

15 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I believe, with the addition of Patrick that Hexy has a clear vision of our window opening up 3 years from now. All moves are then subsequently done to strengthen this team when our window does open. I believe Simmonds will still be very useful in 3 years and will still provide valuable backbone to the team down the road....not the same case for Schenn. Hexy got out while the getting was good. If he regressed next year, the return would have been significantly smaller.

3 years is pushing it. I'd say it's closer to 5, especially when this team's hopeful #1 goalie (Hart or Sandstrom) hasn't even started their NA pro career yet 

We can all hope for them to just come in like Matt Murray, but we don't have a Crosby and Malkin already in the primes of their careers when they come in.

Just now, vis said:

I'd argue the window should be open sooner, especially since they were gifted Patrick.  And three more years is a long-way off for Giroux and Voracek.  What are we doing with them in the meantime?  

Maybe I should clarify: what do you mean by "window" opening?  Are you saying they should be a top 3 team in the conference and a legit contender for the cup?  If so, are these kids really going to be making an impact at that point?

By window opening, I mean our defensive prospects are comfortable enough to control an NHL game AND I say 3 years because we still have to find our starting goalie and probably have the prerequisite 'learning process" he will under go in his first playoff exposure. Season like Murray's last 2 are historically improbable. The goalie which might or might not have been found, having so many dmen enter the league having to gell together, plus Konency, Patrick, Lindblom and Frost can all be legitimate contributors....I think Vorachek will still be good, G....not so much. He projects as a 3rd line center by the time 3 years roll by. 

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

By window opening, I mean our defensive prospects are comfortable enough to control an NHL game AND I say 3 years because we still have to find our starting goalie and probably have the prerequisite 'learning process" he will under go in his first playoff exposure. Season like Murray's last 2 are historically improbable. The goalie which might or might not have been found, having so many dmen enter the league having to gell together, plus Konency, Patrick, Lindblom and Frost can all be legitimate contributors....I think Vorachek will still be good, G....not so much. He projects as a 3rd line center by the time 3 years roll by. 

Don't forget German Rubstov

12 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Don't forget German Rubstov

Yes, and by all accounts, he is fast and smart....seems to be a trend, a very, very nice trend. Ruby will at least be on that team 3 years from now...., maybe his 1st or 2nd year, but you rarely get hurt by inserting smart and fast players with elite skill into the line up. Our potential top 9 is looking real nice. They hit on a kid like Labarge or Bunnaman, watch OUT!!  Call me silly, but I rank Bunnaman is a can't miss forward.

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Yes, and by all accounts, he is fast and smart....seems to be a trend, a very, very nice trend. Ruby will at least be on that team 3 years from now...., maybe his 1st or 2nd year, but you rarely get hurt by inserting smart and fast players with elite skill into the line up. Our potential top 9 is looking real nice. They hit on a kid like Labarge or Bunnaman, watch OUT!!  Call me silly, but I rank Bunnaman is a can't miss forward.

I am getting great vibes from Laberge, really think he is going to be a steal.

Archived