LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2017-2018

pilldoc

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Hopefully some of those big wingers can make the team next year, we have way too many small wingers right now. I’m just worried about how we’re gonna pay Simmonds , with Voracek and Giroux already making 8 million each. I think we have a big decision coming up. Simmonds will be looking for similar $ and a long 

term deal. We do that and in a few years we lose half our defense if they become the players we think they will. There just won’t be enough $$ to pay everyone. I think we may have to unload Voracek.

I'm convinced that Hextall moves Simmonds, especially if the Flyers are out of playoff contention by February. The bounty that the Flyers could get for moving Simmonds could be huge, especially when you consider he has another year left on his contract. It's not a rental. I'd expect that the Flyers would end up with a burgeoning power forward prospect, two blue chip prospects and a first. Personally, I'd love to see Alex Tuch end up in Philadelphia because he brings much needed size and skill. Don't forget that Lindblom will eventually make his way to the big club, so that's another guy with good size. There's also size down the middle, which also helps.

As for next season, all those kids going to Lehigh Valley should be something else. Rubtsov and Bunnaman are the two I'm most looking forward to. We're looking at two guys who have good size and can play the middle and left side. 

I get that people aren't going to be patient and I get it. At the same time, the house of cardboard that Holmgren built needed to be replaced with solid structural pieces and Hextall has done that. The issue well be how quickly everything comes together and the coaching staff handling them genuinely scares me.

5 hours ago, Jam1986 said:

So what teams would trade for Simmons? What return do we need? Can we trade Jake and G how much money will we have to suck up to say good bye.

If Simmonds goes up on the block, I guarantee that 8 trans in the East and 8 teams in the West would gladly look at acquiring him. There's no shortage of suitors if Simmonds goes on the block. As for who would have the best chance at landing him? I think if you look at things from an individual franchise point if view and who would have the required assets the Flyers would want in any deal, the team that makes the most sense would be Nashville. I could see a deal go down that would be: Dante Fabbro, Vladislav Kamanev, and Kevin Fiala. The Flyers might not get a first out of the deal, but those three would be more than enough to satisfy the Flyers and Nashville still has plenty of depth in the system to sustain such a move.

Damn Phantoms lose in a shootout 6-5.

Lindblom one of 3 shooters who couldn't score.

Strange coaching decision to use Knight as one of the shooters.

Not sure why you don't give the AHL's leading goal scorer (who had already scored in the game) a chance but what do i know.

Tokarski only gives up one goal in the shootout but it was the GWer.

Good news Phantoms beat Devils 6-5.

Chris Connor with 2 goals and 2 assist.

The other goals by TJ, NAK, Bardreau and of course Martel with a goal and an assist for 12th in 12 games.On pace for 76 goals!!!

Nice!

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The other goals by TJ, NAK, Bardreau and of course Martel with a goal and an assist for 12th in 12 games.On pace for 76 goals!!!

That is an insane start!  So happy how Hexy has restocked the farm team.  There is some scary talent down there.

phantoms.jpg

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

That is an insane start!  So happy how Hexy has restocked the farm team.  There is some scary talent down there.

phantoms.jpg

And last night the Phantoms had have their blueline stocked with ECHL defensemen.

Lamarche, Comrie and De Haas are on AHL only contracts.

With Alt and O'neill on the Flyers and Morin and Myers out with injury.

They still found a way to win.

Simple forwards are producing.

Also as a side note i am really getting concerned with Myers as talented as he is he has earned the dreaded "injury prone" label and i usually hate labeling guys with that but at this point damn i can't help it.

Every time you turn around he is hurt it seems.

I hope that doesn't continue for much longer is seems to be derailing his development.

Man he needs some injury luck for sure.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Same with Patrick and Stolarz.

And last night the Phantoms had have their blueline stocked with ECHL defensemen.

Lamarche, Comrie and De Haas are on AHL only contracts.

With Alt and O'neill on the Flyers and Morin and Myers out with injury.

They still found a way to win.

Simple forwards are producing.

Also as a side note i am really getting concerned with Myers as talented as he is he has earned the dreaded "injury prone" label and i usually hate labeling guys with that but at this point damn i can't help it.

Every time you turn around he is hurt it seems.

I hope that doesn't continue for much longer is seems to be derailing his development.

Man he needs some injury luck for sure.

Phantoms lose 5-1 to Toronto.

The only one to score for the Phantoms???

You guessed Danick Martel league leading 13th.

Hey Hextall are you watching??

This kid might be able to help?

Give it a try just let Read takes his spot on the farm.

Just now, Podein25 said:

Do you mean "sucker punch eh??"

You'd make a terrible Canadian

Hey wait a minute i didn't know yall had dibs on that. 

If i was goin Canuck it would have sounded aboot like this "sucker punch eh hoser!":hehe:

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

If i was goin Canuck it would have sounded aboot like this "sucker punch eh hoser!":hehe:

You are forgiven. 

I appreciate all the Phantom updates and posts. Keep it up!

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It’s ok. We wouldn’t get mad. We would just help you get yer insults right. Have some respect, eh?

So, this is an interesting write up on Martel by Meltzer. 

@OccamsRazor You're one of his biggest cheerleaders around here, and this article does make a lot of sense as to why Martel is not getting a call up.. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=88688&blogger_id=45

3) Martel's goal came after Nicolas Aube-Kubel forced a Marlies turnover on the right half boards and fed across ice to the wide-open winger. From the left slot, Martel buried his 13th goal of the season. 

Other Flyers writers and I are getting inundated with messages on social media about when the Flyers will recall Martel, who will turn 23 on Dec. 12. The answer is that, at least for the time, they won't. 

The Flyers already have two undersized but skilled wingers among their top nine forwards: Travis Konecny and Jordan Weal. It would be hard to add the 5-foot-8 Martel into the equation without the top 9 becoming way too undersized. 

Apart from producing offensive chances, Konecny "plays big" in his aggressiveness and Weal is an underrated two-way player. It's also not a question of whether Martel can score more goals than Dale Weise (which is the inevitable follow-up question). Rather, it's about the mix of players. 

Martel is actually a feisty player in the same sort of way that Danny Briere was. In other words, for sheer survival, he'll use his stick as an equalizer and he isn't intimidated by bigger players.

There's never been a question about his heart, his feet or his hands. There are some limitations in his game, but he competes.

On Oct. 23, The Athletic's Charlie O'Connor asked Flyers general manager Ron Hextall during a media scrum whether Martel is a candidate for a recall. Hextall was non-committal.

"You’ve got to be very careful about reaching conclusions [based] on a small number of games, seeing a little bit of a body of work and assuming someone is ready to come up and play, and can help you,” Hextall said.

“With that being said, Danick has played well so far. He gets to open areas and he can finish. He has some speed. I saw the game in Hershey [on Oct. 15, in which Martel had a goal and an assist], and I think he had about six good scoring chances.”

Since that time, Martel has kept right on scoring with regularity. If he keeps doing for the Phantoms what he's been doing so far and if either Weal or Konecny (or even Jakub Voracek or Claude Giroux) sustains an injury, Martel could get his chance in the NHL. If Martel did similar at the NHL level to what he's doing in the AHL early this season, the mix would have to re-evaluated. That's a lot of ifs. 

For the time being, at least, Martel can only worry about what's within his control. He's playing great offensive hockey for the Phantoms and has established excellent chemistry with linemates Mike Vecchione and Nicolas Aube-Kubel. He's very much on the right track. Presuming he keeps on scoring goals at anything close to his current pace, there will no doubt be internal discussions about finding out if there's a spot for him.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

So, this is an interesting write up on Martel by Meltzer. 

@OccamsRazor You're one of his biggest cheerleaders around here, and this article does make a lot of sense as to why Martel is not getting a call up.. 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=88688&blogger_id=45

Already read it. I don't buy it. In the last 9 games they are averaging only 2.3 goals per game with (2 shutouts against in there) to say you don't need more goals doesn't make sense. That just isn't enough scoring.

I would scratch Read send him back to LV to see if Martel could help in the scoring department.

I'd plug him on the 3rd line even. 12 minutes a night would be a good start for him.

Bump Weal up to the 2nd.

See what Weal could do with Val and Simmer take advantage of VF set up skill and Simmer up around the top of the crease. Just to see. 

Let Martel and TK roll with Lehtera and see if they can help improve the puck possession on that line some maybe get Jori going.

And TK loves to set guys up two and it would give the 3rd a shooter.

Trust me i know it won't happen.

I never seen a club so scared to give a kid a callup in all my life.

Just want to see this club be more successful and try different personnel even to do it.

And if it doesn't work he could always be sent back.

28 Claude Giroux | 14 Sean Couturier | 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal | 51 Valtteri Filppula | 17 Wayne Simmonds
13 Danick Martel | 15 Jori Lehterä | 11 Travis Konecny
20 Taylor Leier | 21 Scott Laughton | 12 Michael Raffl

Archived