Red Fisher

blocker

Red Fisher died yesterday.  He might have seemed crabby and cantankerous on TV, but he was a really nice person.  When my youngest son was in the 7th grade, he thought he might like to be a sportswriter.   We were readers of Red Fisher's column in the Montreal Gazette.   Enjoyed it, because of the knowledge and craftsmanship.  So, my son wrote to Red Fisher and asked for his guidance.  Within a very  few days, Red Fisher answered the letter with a thoughtful, kind analysis of the paths my son needed to take.

Red Fisher didn't need to take the time and effort to help a young hockey player in Vermont, but he did.   

He was an excellent writer and a good man.

I was going to post something on here about his passing, glad you beat me to it. He wrote a LOT, he seemed to ooze hockey from his pores, some of what he wrote was borderline awful some was brilliant but at no time could anyone doubt both his knowledge or his love of the game. Truly one of the greats when it comes to building the game that we all love.

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

First game the Richard riot, wow. That alone is freaking awesome.

Red was so loved and respected, both around the league and of course in the Province of Quebec. One of the few journalists that basically, every word he wrote was gospel. If Red said you were lazy, you were lazy, no questions asked. Today we have Google, back then, it was Red. 

Archived