Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
hf101

Bruins give up a ton for Rick Nash

8 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

@yave1964

In fairness, please keep in mind what I have said here: that Rick Nash is a better hockey player than Patrick Maroon and he very well could be a better fit for Boston. I just think the Devils got a lot more bang for their buck than the Bruins.

I don't know.  I'm not a Maroon fan.  "Bang for buck,"  -- maybe.  In that he's cheaper.  I don't think he adds much to New Jersey.  He had a pretty good first game, though, so maybe..

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

@yave1964

In fairness, please keep in mind what I have said here: that Rick Nash is a better hockey player than Patrick Maroon and he very well could be a better fit for Boston. I just think the Devils got a lot more bang for their buck than the Bruins.

Agreed,a third for Maroon was a nice under the radar pickup for the Devils as well as adding Grabner for a 2nd. You couldn't find two players with more different skill sets (other than both are below average passers) but both fit exact needs for the Devils for cheap. 

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Agreed,a third for Maroon was a nice under the radar pickup for the Devils as well as adding Grabner for a 2nd. You couldn't find two players with more different skill sets (other than both are below average passers) but both fit exact needs for the Devils for cheap. 

I agree.

The price for Nash was a bit unreal given his current skillset.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know.  I'm not a Maroon fan.  "Bang for buck,"  -- maybe.  In that he's cheaper.  I don't think he adds much to New Jersey.  He had a pretty good first game, though, so maybe..

When I'm talking about "bang for the buck" I'm talking about acquisition cost. There was a night and day difference in cost between Nash and Maroon, and I don't think there is a night and day difference in what these teams should expect from these guys. He gave them a big body who can fit in with skilled players, and that's a nice thing come April. He only cost them a 3rd round pick, which I think is a fair price.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Most Liked Posts in This Topic

@yave1964   In fairness, please keep in mind what I have said here: that Rick Nash is a better hockey player than Patrick Maroon and he very well could be a better fit for Boston. I just think the Devils got a lot more bang for their buck than the Bruins.
      When I'm talking about "bang for the buck" I'm talking about acquisition cost. There was a night and day difference in cost between Nash and Maroon, and I don't think there is a night and day difference in what these teams should expect from these guys. He gave them a big body who can fit in with skilled players, and that's a nice thing come April. He only cost them a 3rd round pick, which I think is a fair price.  
      I think Nash is at the point where you can't expect him to contribute on the scoreboard every single night. If you can temper your expectations of him to be a 20-goal scorer, and a guy who's going to get around 40 points and play good defense, then you should be excited to have him around. He's still being paid as an elite NHL player right now (until July 1st), and I think that's why people are disappointed with him. Give him a $3.5-$4.5 million contract, and everyone would love him on their team. I would take him over Mikkel Boedker any day (given I'm a Sharks fan), except maybe in the last two weeks/month where Boedker has been playing some great hockey.
      This is coming with some caveats, but is only mean to illustrate a point, not draw a heavy line under it...   Rick Nash, last two seasons: 41-25-66, 1.86 Pts/60 Patrick Maroon, last two seasons: 41-31-72, 1.85 Pts/60   Rick Nash brought in a haul. Maroon, without the name or pedigree, brought a 3rd rounder in return on Deadline Day.   NOW... This is a very simple bit of analysis, and doesn't exactly dig deep, with the biggest issue being that it doesn't take into consideration quality of linemates. Maroon quite simply had better linemates to play with at Even-Strength (doesn't get PP minutes; not with Connor at least), even when we account for him playing less with McDavid this year, and Draisaitl centering his own line much of the time.   Still, I think there's a point here. There isn't such a massive gulf between these two players to explain the price that Boston paid.   ---   Also, we can say that guys like Ryan Spooner are just throw-players, but the numbers 2016 to 2018 (since he became a full-timer) don't suggest such a player at all.   34-85-119, 2.44 Pts/60 (Nash over the same period of time was 1.95 Pts/60)   He's sitting in 60th in the NHL in Pts/60, right between Nik Ehlers and Logan Couture. Dude is a really productive player.  
      I still think the Bruins overpaid for Nash but I agree with @belowthegoalline (welcome to HockeyForums btw), in that Maroon doesn't get those numbers unless playing on a line with a high scoring center as in McDavid.    Nash was brought in to increase the scoring on the 2nd line with Krejci something that wasn't happening with  Spooner or Belesky on the wing.  No forward on the Bruins roster had more than 12 goals other than the those on the top line prior to the deadline.  Teams that go deep in the playoffs have offensively strong first and 2nd lines, and with Nash I think they got that.    Given the steep price the Bruins paid I wouldn't be surprised for them to sign Nash to a 2-3 year deal in the 3-4M dollar range which if they can do that the amount they paid upfront can be balanced over the course of a resigning.

About HF.net

We are an enthusiastic community of HockeyFans who enjoy discussing the NHL and more in our Forums.  Our members may also write their own blogs, converse in chat, post pics in our gallery, join our fantasy hockey leagues and more.  If you are looking for a friendly community to discuss hockey then register today and begin your conversation in our NET.

Contact Us

Recent Topics

Like what we do? Help us keep doing it!
Supporting Members help keep HockeyForums Advertisement Free